‘23 TX S Peyton Bowen Commits to Oklahoma

I was as shocked and revolted by his handling of his decision as the next person, but lets be honest with ourselves - at least part of the problem here is a group of (mostly) full-grown adults, including myself, letting ourselves become so intensely invested in the whims of (mostly) immature teenagers. Maybe, on balance, we deserve to be shocked and revolted every once in awhile.

Think New Amsterdam GIF by NBC

I was thinking the same thing that it would depend on the contract. That is why the NCAA has to step in and come up with a standard contract or at least specific clauses that have to be included. For example payment can not depend on athlete’s playing time.

3 minutes ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Hard to believe that someone young and immature acted in a young/immature manner.

Too easy to let someone off the hook for something like that. He is not a young and immature kid, he is a professional athlete who is being paid to do a job. Part of doing that job is not jerking people around. He made a commitment to ND, when it was apparent that he was not going to keep that commitment, as a professional, he should have let the school know so they could move on and work on filling that role.

I might not like the fact Keeley dropped ND and moved on to Bama, but I appreciate that he gave ND ample notice after he decided it wasn't the right fit. It makes no difference why, or whether or not I let him off the hook in my head, but there isn't an excuse here for a kid who is being paid.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Big23Head said:

FWIW, apparently he has not actually signed yet. Could be nothing, could turn into more.

Pop Corn GIF by WWE

Mom is probably laying into him and dad.  Telling him to apologize to the ND coaches and beg them to to take him because no way she’s having a Texas born son living in Eugene.

Edited by USAFA03_HUGENDFAN
Typo

31 minutes ago, USAFA03_HUGENDFAN said:

Mom is probably laying into him and dad.  Telling him to apologies to the ND coaches and beg them to to take him because no way she’s having a Texas born son living in Eugene.

That is what I thought, too.  Big blowup at the Bowen house this afternoon.

18 minutes ago, TexasDomer said:

Would you trust him at this point?  Or just wait for the transfer portal?  How would taking him in now play with the morale of our real players?

I would put away my hater hat and take him in a second, real world stuff. That said, I think this is all just more smoke and have no doubt he will be signing with the Ducks unless someone brings a truck instead of a bag. 

24 minutes ago, EddieAngel said:

Good luck putting the genie back in the bottle. Even if he doesn’t sign with Oregon I have a tough time seeing him sign with ND. I would still go for it.

Bet OU would take him...

I actually feel bad because the comms in the family apparently aren't great.  The decision probably should have been discussed prior to show time.  If there was dissent maybe hold off until its been hashed out more.  That's just me though.

Sounds like ND and OU are still talking to Bowen. Insiders seem to think if he doesn't sign with Oregon, then it's ND. 

After his theatrics today, I have a hard time seeing him going to ND. But if Freeman and Co still want him, then that's all that needs to be said. Maybe he just made a really immature decision that was not well thought out at all - he's been to Oregon once, and they basically weren't even in the picture until 2-3 weeks ago. Not sure what his relationships are like with Oregon's coaches and other recruits. But, as they say, money talks.

If - and this is a huge IF - he wants back in, I hope he has the decency to apologize to the rest of the class and the coaches. He was telling other commits that he was solid and coming to ND like an hour before he announced. Maybe he thought he was and made a last minute, split second decision in front of the cameras. Who knows.

I wouldn't give ND great odds of signing him, but this has been one of the wildest recruitments I can remember in 10+ years of following this pretty closely. 

He has to sign somewhere by Friday because he's an early enrollee, so should know soon.