‘23 TX S Peyton Bowen Commits to Oklahoma

44 minutes ago, Big23Head said:

All of this NIL stuff is going to be interesting over the next few years. Several reports of players not getting paid, issues in locker rooms from it, and such. It's all over the place. The money is life changing in some cases IF you actually get it. I have zero inside info on this but these stories are all over. Bowen will be an intriguing situation and to hear what comes out after the fact. 

Can't wait for the lawsuits and ambulance chasers that will ultimately happen. 

1 hour ago, SDIrishFan said:

Right in the first year. I've seen numbers just under seven figures projected for him. Its apparently exploded since then. Quite frankly, the numbers be thrown out for high school kids are many times that, "upfront", before ever playing a down. The number for Bowen, a safety at one of the least impactful positions on the field, was 2 million. The QB going to Tenn was rumored to be around $7M. Those numbers put our highest paid player to shame. 

Now, do I think these numbers and contracts will "self-regulate", sure. In a few years, but until then, ND is again fighting with one hand tied behind their backs. 

My question is where is the money coming from?  I.E. Is it coming from money that was already being paid under the gable or is it money that used to be donated to the University or is this just play money for some rich guys?  If it is play money then this will be fleeting when these donors do not see a return.  

What I hope NIL does for College Football is keep some players around to complete their fourth year rather than go undrafted or 5th round etc.  Perhaps you can convince some players to give it one more year knowing they will be receiving a healthy NIL payment and try to play their way to a higher pick as well as help the team.  

Either way.....to much ME and not enough WE

• Heart 2

20 hours ago, 1Redrum said:

My question is where is the money coming from?  I.E. Is it coming from money that was already being paid under the gable or is it money that used to be donated to the University or is this just play money for some rich guys?  If it is play money then this will be fleeting when these donors do not see a return.  

What I hope NIL does for College Football is keep some players around to complete their fourth year rather than go undrafted or 5th round etc.  Perhaps you can convince some players to give it one more year knowing they will be receiving a healthy NIL payment and try to play their way to a higher pick as well as help the team.  

Either way.....to much ME and not enough WE

Some money comes from normal companies that are truly looking for advertising and revenue purposes. 

Some money comes from booster collectives. They are just looking to spread the $$ to all the players, and to lure big star commits. 

In terms of avg per starter... ND was #8.

Here's a decent article on top schools and players. IMO, probably as much as art than science though. 

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/highest-paid-college-athletes-in-the-nil-era

I think he (Bowen) let it slip about the money being offered and then walked it back by talking about misinformation and rumors. His services are for sale. Every five star is for sale why would you not take advantage? Nothing personal against the kid, it would be foolish to not take advantage of the system. 

I might go back to school and get my law degree, going to be tons of money in NIL lawsuits in about two years.

17 hours ago, irishwavend said:

Incoming!!!  Here comes my weekly drunk post(s)….

If anyone has twitter, tell this dude to quit being a pu$&y and announce for Oklahoma already.., grow a pair….

And then please post a link to your tweet so we can all give you the positive reps that you deserve

• Laughing Leprechaun 1

10 minutes ago, irishwavend said:

They pulled it down.

Sort of.....here is a different link.  His link is different than the other players. Not sure why...I guess because he has not officially signed? Perhaps he will not sign and this link will also go dead. 

Peyton Bowen – Notre Dame Fighting Irish – Official Athletics Website (und.com)

10 minutes ago, irishwavend said:

They pulled it down.

Bad echoes of the past. Who was that kid who was going to commit to ND but got upset when they posted him as a signee before he announced? He got mad and ended up transferring or something on a medical. Went to UCLA I think.

Just now, D Fence said:

Eddie Vanderdoes?  I remember he was Irish up to the last minute and there was friction about releasing him from his LOI to sign with UCLA, but don't remember the web site part of it. 

That is him. I took to calling him Vanderdoody. There was discussion about the issue in a recruiting thread here, it may ultimately just be smoke. Don’t know. I will see if I can dig up the thread of it still exists.