Outgoing Transfer Portal Tracker

I hate the portal for ND because it is largely a one-way street. Underclassmen leave and don't get replaced. I'm not counting recruits. 

ND is basically limited to 5th year grad transfers. I refuse to believe there aren't  unhappy undergads at other schools who can hack it academically. I'm talking about beyond the Stanfords, Vanderbilts, Northwesterns, but it seems we don't even look at those guys either.  ND is doing themselves an enormous disservice here. 

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, DamshaBua said:

I hate the portal for ND because it is largely a one-way street. Underclassmen leave and don't get replaced. I'm not counting recruits. 

ND is basically limited to 5th year grad transfers. I refuse to believe there aren't  unhappy undergads at other schools who can hack it academically. I'm talking about beyond the Stanfords, Vanderbilts, Northwesterns, but it seems we don't even look at those guys either.  ND is doing themselves an enormous disservice here. 

Maybe not anymore with the new sheriff in town!  Dante Cephus, Kent St, WR, reported an offer from ND.  He's likely an underclassman still, given that he did not enter the portal until today (although it's possible he's a grad student).

2 hours ago, DamshaBua said:

JeffV is right. Right now ND is going hard after McCullough (a sophomore), but I believe the philosophy is that ND would rather get a HS player to replace a 2nd stringer who left for playing time. Perfect example is CB. ND is expected to lose a few CBs to the portal and ND is choosing to recruit another CB in the 2023 class, Soloman Davis who is currently committed to Arizona.

Some may not like that, but I think I prefer that method for majority of the replacements. Freeman wants to build majority of the team from the ground up. This may actually mean that recruiting classes will be pretty big each and every year.

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DamshaBua said:

Hold that thought until things actually happen. 

ND can't sit still. Offers are being made and I think this will be a net positive. Guys leaving voluntarily that never play and having some experienced starts come and compete for playing time. USC got a major jump on this but if ND can get their hands around this it will be an equaliser.

• Heart 2

This new reality is really starting to feel like the NFL where there are 2 waves to upgrade your roster.  In the NFL where you first address needs in the draft, then supplement through free agency, here you focus on locking up your incoming class early then supplement through the portal.

I'm really glad to have someone like Freeman at the helm, as his work ethic shaking loose not only recruits but portal residents could really be an advantage.  If we can start bringing in some undergrad transfers, that would be a game changer.

• Heart 3

15 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

JeffV is right. Right now ND is going hard after McCullough (a sophomore), but I believe the philosophy is that ND would rather get a HS player to replace a 2nd stringer who left for playing time. Perfect example is CB. ND is expected to lose a few CBs to the portal and ND is choosing to recruit another CB in the 2023 class, Soloman Davis who is currently committed to Arizona.

Some may not like that, but I think I prefer that method for majority of the replacements. Freeman wants to build majority of the team from the ground up. This may actually mean that recruiting classes will be pretty big each and every year.

I think national signing day is going to have to be pushed back. Half the kids are committing not even knowing who may be transferring in via the portal.  Bring back the one year sit rule and cap transfers in to a reasonable number.  No more 19 transfers in like at USC this year 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, 1Redrum said:

I think national signing day is going to have to be pushed back. Half the kids are committing not even knowing who may be transferring in via the portal.  Bring back the one year sit rule and cap transfers in to a reasonable number.  No more 19 transfers in like at USC this year 

Good call.  Makes sense they should adjust the dates around the portal. (or adjust portal dates slightly).  I'd guess some kids will skip early signing period and wait until...is it early Feb?  

The trick is for early enrollees - seems like more each year.  Wouldn't they need to apply essentially now so admissions and clearinghouse has time to enroll them prior to Jan. classes?

What a crazy 30 days for everyone involved!

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, coltssb said:

I’m ok with the free transfer rule. But I think it should be limited to one time. The next time you transfer you have to sit out a year. 

Technically that is the rule from my understanding, the exception to that is if it is a grad student. For example, McCullough would not be able to transfer willy nilly NEXT year without having to sit a year.

@1Redrum I dont see a need for it. The early signing period is for early enrollees and for students who are set on where they want to go. If they want to wait, they can wait for the February signing date.

• Heart 1

Obviously the amount of transfer portal players is astonishing, and when combined with EE, and NIL stuff, roster management really is the Wild West at this point.

And, while there may need to be some bumpers implemented, this seems like one of those systems that will iron itself out in the next few years. As soon as the NIL money dries up for HS recruits and "potential" or P4P (I have a hunch it will after endless busted recruits flame out with millions in booster money and the boosters with nothing to show. You think TA&M boosters are lining up after their season and multiple kids leaving with their bag in hand?).

Also, as soon as these kids leaving for greener pasture find nothing but a mud hole, they may not be so eager to leave their current situations. 

The thing I don't see changing is big dollars being thrown at big time college players to transfer. Some will take the offer, some will use it as a bargaining chip. 

I'm all for the players getting their piece of the pie, but I can't imagine being a coach trying to field a good team and not knowing who is coming or going from one day to the next. 

• Heart 3

On 12/5/2022 at 2:14 PM, jbrown_9999 said:

ND's NIL Collectives could also have an impact on ND players staying. My understanding is that every ND football player (including walk-ons) gets something from the ND associated collectives. As a result, most back-up players who transfer will probably not get the same amount of NIL money from their new school.

What an inefficient way to dole out NIL money!  The Bruce Heggies of the world already get a full ride that ND isn't going to take away.