Outgoing Transfer Portal Tracker

15 hours ago, ndomer4 said:

Do I think Buchner is the guy? No, I don’t, but he has way more potential than Angeli. How many CFP teams in the past ten years have had statues at QB like Angeli? Not many. 

I don’t think our guy is on the roster, but I’d like to see Buchner with this much improved offensive line. 

If Buchner is the starter, I hope Rees designs a game plan where QB play is more pass focused than run. I want to see if Buchner can be a high completion percentage guy, including downfield passes. I also want to see the ball distributed more to our young wide receivers. 

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, Frankus said:

If Buchner is the starter, I hope Rees designs a game plan where QB play is more pass focused than run. I want to see if Buchner can be a high completion percentage guy, including downfield passes. I also want to see the ball distributed more to our young wide receivers. 

Not to mention, if he doesn’t, not sure TB12 would make it through the game.

• Heart 1

56 minutes ago, Irish_Thunder said:

How many guys are we losing to the portal tomorrow?

I've seen some pretty big lists on another site, buckle up! Excited to see what we can bring in. 

That’s not good… what site? Or do you have a link? 

I hate the portal…

There will be a lot of transfers, but ND fans shouldnt overreact to it. It is the nature of college football. Alabama just lost its STARTING Guard to the portal. Backup players will transfer, as long as we dont lose anyone big, I wont be upset.

... but Im willing to bet ND fans will still overreact to each person leaving and say there is a "locker room problem" or something. lol

Edited by NDhoosier
  • Heart 1

2 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

There will be a lot of transfers, but ND fans shouldnt overreact to it. It is the nature of college football. Alabama just lost its STARTING Guard to the portal. Backup players will transfer, as long as we dont lose anyone big, I wont be upset.

... but Im willing to bet ND fans will still overreact to each person leaving and say there is a "locker room problem" or something. lol

I would have to imagine because of ND’s degree that “starters” would reconsider leaving because of that degree. Can always get a degree and grad transfer and play somewhere else. 

1 hour ago, coltssb said:

I would have to imagine because of ND’s degree that “starters” would reconsider leaving because of that degree. Can always get a degree and grad transfer and play somewhere else. 

ND does a great job of having players get degrees in 3.5 years (early admittance plus summer classes) so second year players may stick at ND for an extra year to get their degree.

It's much quieter than I'd expected - on both sides of the portal.  Maybe it's still going to heat up, though.  Seems like a lot of these kids have their landing spot (or at least some assurances) before they announce.

ND's NIL Collectives could also have an impact on ND players staying. My understanding is that every ND football player (including walk-ons) gets something from the ND associated collectives. As a result, most back-up players who transfer will probably not get the same amount of NIL money from their new school.

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, EddieAngel said:

Is the concern the backup players? Seems to me the concern is high performers like Morrison who probably had about 50 “uncles” trying to call him this week.

Ha ha.  I think it's critical to keep as many kids as you can.  Shouldn't see too many starters in question (Pyne notwithstanding, or if we bring in a big ticket transfer).

If you can upgrade, great, but it's a tough balance.  You have to motivate guys to stay, backup guys, scout team guys.  A kid might start only 1 year, but he's still an important piece - how do you keep him around working for 3 years?  How does the team know that they'll be rewarded in time (like Salerno, Vinson, even Tariq Bracy this year)?

That's a locker room culture that the staff has to cultivate.  Seems like they must be doing that as quiet as it's been (knock on wood).  If we can keep guys to develop, we won't need to reach on too many guys in the portal.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, NDhoosier said:

It is believed that the backup corners from the 2021 class are all in jeopardy of leaving due to Morrison's rise... Even Mickey has jumped them it seems like.

Plus a couple highly rated freshmen in January.  I noticed a decent number of strong CBs in the portal, too, but I wouldn't expect ND making much of a play there.  Guys aren't transferring to be 2nd string, typically.