Outgoing Transfer Portal Tracker

25 minutes ago, Synoptico said:

Issue is also ND has based level to get enrolled as a HS student, Foreign language (i think Calc) redit etc. Just letting the people transfer in with certain GPAs circumvents that

Yes....the online Notre Dame University for Athletes would have to be created.  Would prefer that not to happen but unlike some I do not want to transfer my allegiance or fall Saturdays to Alabama

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, 1Redrum said:

Yes....the online Notre Dame University for Athletes would have to be created.  Would prefer that not to happen but unlike some I do not want to transfer my allegiance or fall Saturdays to Alabama

Then don't. No one is forcing you to root for anyone, good or bad. 

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, NDLincPark said:

UCLA 

USC

Vandy

Northwestern

Stanford

Michigan

All on the same academic level as ND.  Fans: But it's so hard and unfair for us to compete in the portal cause we have Standards!

Stanford alumni would go apoplectic at that comment. ND is certainly a very good school. Stanford, academically, is on a different level.  
But your point is spot-on.  It’s harder to get portal people into ND and probably the schools you mentioned.  
I have no idea what all is involved in NIL, but ND probably can compete in that arena. I think. 

• Heart 1

I think it's the grad student hurdle that's the bigger challenge.  And most of those schools don't share that requirement.  Rare that ND takes an underclassman, but I bet we'll see more of it (particularly if they're from schools on that list, given their shared academic rigors).

6 minutes ago, JeffV said:

I think it's the grad student hurdle that's the bigger challenge.  And most of those schools don't share that requirement.  Rare that ND takes an underclassman, but I bet we'll see more of it (particularly if they're from schools on that list, given their shared academic rigors).

ND cant pretend to be a football school,  and simultaneously only accept grad transfers or high end academic achievers from tier 1 schools (That dont even do this now). 

Notre Dame is it's own worst enemy.  They let history and lineage create impractical scenarios.  Just win 

• Heart 1

They do it in a pinch (Brandon Joseph from Northwestern), but I'll bet the admin gives Freeman just a few of those.  But, yeah, ND is in their own prison.  I think the message is genuine, though.  They want an academic focus, even from their athletes, but it's more about the perception.  I don't mind it.  One of the reasons I love ND football is that difference.  I can enjoy a post-game interview rather than cringe at what my guy is about to say, or fail trying to say. 

Still, ND adapts a bit.  We sure have a bunch of non-degree seeking grad students all the sudden (Hartman, Harper, JJB).  But I'll be surprised if we were to bring any more transfers in before fall - it wouldn't likely be a starter (I don't see any on that list that would come to ND), and it would have to be a real good fit to even pursue.  I don't think it's worth upsetting the roster unless you're getting a DUDE.

Betting that the 3 or 4 scholarships will go to walk-ons, which is at least good for morale.  Need those guys to stick around and work, too.

Edited by JeffV

20 hours ago, USAFA03_HUGENDFAN said:

Down to 81 scholarship players. Will interesting if they just reward walk-ons or go after some portal players for depth. 

They need to get a safety in the portal and now possibly a grad transfer on the D-Line. I say take as many grad transfer as possible to fill out that number to 85.

Edited by Jersey Irish
  • Heart 2

36 minutes ago, Jersey Irish said:

They need to get a safety in the portal and now possibly a grad transfer on the D-Line. I say take as many grad transfer as possible to fill out that number to 85.

Agreed. Need some depth at some position at this point. 

If the BBall team can get ungrad transfers from Big10 schools then it should be no issues for the football team. 

Interesting that three offensive skilled position players who could not become starters at ND decided to transfer to Ohio St, Alabama, and LSU. Hopefully that indicates the talent on the Irish roster is pretty good.

Edited by jbrown_9999
  • Heart 2
  • Flames 1

On 5/16/2023 at 1:43 PM, jbrown_9999 said:

Interesting that three offensive skilled position players who could not become starters at ND decided to transfer to Ohio St, Alabama, and LSU. Hopefully that indicates the talent on the Irish roster is pretty good.

It is interesting but considering the connections I guess not that interesting.  Rees/Buchner, Diggs/Kelly, and Styles with his brother.  I'd be more interested in if there was any tampering involved.  

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, coltssb said:

It is interesting but considering the connections I guess not that interesting.  Rees/Buchner, Diggs/Kelly, and Styles with his brother.  I'd be more interested in if there was any tampering involved.  

Even with the connections, those players had to be talented enough to warrant a roster spot on three teams with a high talent level. In the past, ND's second string would not always have been good enough to make those rosters. For me, that indicates that ND's talent level has been increasing.

Edited by jbrown_9999
  • Heart 2
  • Flames 1

11 hours ago, coltssb said:

I think there are always conversations going on behind the scenes...  It was pretty common knowledge that Hartman was likely to be at ND before he put his name in the portal.  Probably not much different.

• Heart 2