2023 Notre Dame Recruiting Prospects

23 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Maybe we get both the dad as DC and his son as LB?  🙂

Sounds like OU is leading for Arnold. I was hopeful that ‘23 was going to be the year we get an elite QB but it’s not looking good now.

Unless Buchner balls out this year (which is possible), elite QBs aren’t going to look our way.

23 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Maybe we get both the dad as DC and his son as LB?  🙂

The dad would be primary 1A, son primary 1B.  This would be huge, but unlikely given he's interviewing for NFL HC positions.  The only contrary view might be if he gets passed over again.  Will he just bail and go coach his kid?????

4 minutes ago, Pregame said:

Nah, they don’t. The crystal balls are 50/50 Ohio St and UGA and his leas recruiter at Ohio State was Al Washington. 

image.thumb.png.a3cbc7839b5b17721c055d0261e6ccca.png

I just looked at the picture of the recruits faces and they had Georgia cab’s underneath. I guess it was just one guys opinion. 

It is going to be interesting to see how recruiting goes the next two years. Setting aside NIL and all that, this staff is swinging for the fences with recruits. The blend of finding the high level kids that can get into and stay at ND will be interesting. Hopefully enough was learned under Kelly that they know the balance. It needed to happen.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Big23Head said:

It is going to be interesting to see how recruiting goes the next two years. Setting aside NIL and all that, this staff is swinging for the fences with recruits. The blend of finding the high level kids that can get into and stay at ND will be interesting. Hopefully enough was learned under Kelly that they know the balance. It needed to happen.

Any thoughts on where we go for a QB this cycle? I know it’s early but it seems most of the elite guys are looking elsewhere.

22 minutes ago, SDIrishFan said:

Any thoughts on where we go for a QB this cycle? I know it’s early but it seems most of the elite guys are looking elsewhere.

ND is in it for Dante Moore (#8 overall, #3 QB), Jackson Arnold (#72 overall, #7 QB), and Christopher Vizzina (#85 overall, #8 QB). It's still very early, but right now...

I think ND has the best shot at Vizzina right now. Moore seems like a Michigan lean, but with Harbaugh potentially off to the NFL, that would be a game changer. In his interviews, he has talked a lot about who his coaches will be and the stability of the program. He has a good relationship with Rees. ND probably running second here. Arnold really likes ND, and ND already has a commitment from his teammate Peyton Bowen. He just visited Oklahoma and really liked it. Being from Texas, OU will be a major draw. I could see him picking ND, but I don't think it's as likely as Vizzina. I think Vizzina could be really good. Great size, solid arm strength, good mobility. He's solidly a Top 100 player, IMO. He is from Alabama, so one would think if he gets a Bama offer, then that would be all she wrote. He has an Auburn offer, but I think ND sits at the top right now. He has talked about how ND is very similar to his high school, and he likes a lot of what ND has to offer (academics, religious aspects, etc.). Again, I think he is the most likely of those three as it stands right now, but obviously a lot could change (Harbaugh leaves Michigan, Notre Dame's head coach actually recruits kids, etc.).

ND has offered Avery Johnson (#181 overall, #11 QB) from Kansas. He is super raw, but very athletic. It sounds like he does not have the green light to commit yet, as ND wants one of the big three above, but I think he would commit if he could. 

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

ND is in it for Dante Moore (#8 overall, #3 QB), Jackson Arnold (#72 overall, #7 QB), and Christopher Vizzina (#85 overall, #8 QB). It's still very early, but right now...

I think ND has the best shot at Vizzina right now. Moore seems like a Michigan lean, but with Harbaugh potentially off to the NFL, that would be a game changer. In his interviews, he has talked a lot about who his coaches will be and the stability of the program. He has a good relationship with Rees. ND probably running second here. Arnold really likes ND, and ND already has a commitment from his teammate Peyton Bowen. He just visited Oklahoma and really liked it. Being from Texas, OU will be a major draw. I could see him picking ND, but I don't think it's as likely as Vizzina. I think Vizzina could be really good. Great size, solid arm strength, good mobility. He's solidly a Top 100 player, IMO. He is from Alabama, so one would think if he gets a Bama offer, then that would be all she wrote. He has an Auburn offer, but I think ND sits at the top right now. He has talked about how ND is very similar to his high school, and he likes a lot of what ND has to offer (academics, religious aspects, etc.). Again, I think he is the most likely of those three as it stands right now, but obviously a lot could change (Harbaugh leaves Michigan, Notre Dame's head coach actually recruits kids, etc.).

ND has offered Avery Johnson (#181 overall, #11 QB) from Kansas. He is super raw, but very athletic. It sounds like he does not have the green light to commit yet, as ND wants one of the big three above, but I think he would commit if he could. 

Thanks for the info.

I don't see Moore coming unless, like you said, Captain Khaki's goes to the NFL. You'd think if stability with coaches were important, Meatchicken wouldn't be the leader. If it's not this year for Harbaugh, it would be in the next couple. Who knows, maybe not.

I still see Arnold staying south, but it's early and a lot can change.

Vizzina seems to be our best shot and he's a good player. Probably not the elite guy I was hoping for, but solid top 100. I'd be worried about putting all our eggs in his basket. If Manning chooses Georgia, then Vizzina gets a Bama offer, I doubt he sticks with ND. 

ND desperately needs to develop a top-tier NFL prospect. The negative recruiting practically writes itself these days. That's why TB12's development is so important. If it's not him, it's several more recruiting cycles of the same thing. 

Moore is a tough battle. Harbaugh would give Michigan continuity and it’s easy to see him going there. 

I’d bet Jackson Arnold commits to Oklahoma in the next couple weeks. I think they went all out and won. This is a loss for ND, flat out. 

Vizzina is a player for sure but what happens if Alabama comes calling? Clemson will be tough too. 

As of today Avery Johnson can’t be the guy alone. He would have to be a part of a two man QB class. Maybe that changes with another season under his belt but ND can’t wait that long. Dominoes might start falling quickly here. I don’t think there will be time for Buchner and O to show out for a 2023 recruit unless it’s a late bloomer but let’s hope ND avoids that. 

Edited by Big23Head

13 hours ago, SDIrishFan said:

Thanks for the info.

I don't see Moore coming unless, like you said, Captain Khaki's goes to the NFL. You'd think if stability with coaches were important, Meatchicken wouldn't be the leader. If it's not this year for Harbaugh, it would be in the next couple. Who knows, maybe not.

I still see Arnold staying south, but it's early and a lot can change.

Vizzina seems to be our best shot and he's a good player. Probably not the elite guy I was hoping for, but solid top 100. I'd be worried about putting all our eggs in his basket. If Manning chooses Georgia, then Vizzina gets a Bama offer, I doubt he sticks with ND. 

ND desperately needs to develop a top-tier NFL prospect. The negative recruiting practically writes itself these days. That's why TB12's development is so important. If it's not him, it's several more recruiting cycles of the same thing. 

Right. And this is where I agree with Elder. We can’t miss or keep missing at qb. Sure Buchner is good and could ball out. But ND needs to start landing the even higher rated guys now. C’mon Rees!

2 hours ago, coltssb said:

Right. And this is where I agree with Elder. We can’t miss or keep missing at qb. Sure Buchner is good and could ball out. But ND needs to start landing the even higher rated guys now. C’mon Rees!

But why would a top level QB take a chance on ND? We haven’t developed an NFL QB in decades (please don’t bring up Book). Kizer was close but how many high school kids do you think know his name?

If these kids goal is the NFL, we’ve got nothing to sell from a QB perspective. 

We need a home run recruit but can’t get one with our track record. Cart and horse and all That.

8 hours ago, Big23Head said:

Moore is a tough battle. Harbaugh would give Michigan continuity and it’s easy to see him going there. 

I’d bet Jackson Arnold commits to Oklahoma in the next couple weeks. I think they went all out and won. This is a loss for ND, flat out. 

Vizzina is a player for sure but what happens if Alabama comes calling? Clemson will be tough too. 

As of today Avery Johnson can’t be the guy alone. He would have to be a part of a two man QB class. Maybe that changes with another season under his belt but ND can’t wait that long. Dominoes might start falling quickly here. I don’t think there will be time for Buchner and O to show out for a 2023 recruit unless it’s a late bloomer but let’s hope ND avoids that. 

Think ND needs to go all out for Vizzina and prove he’s their #1. If other schools come knocking it won’t matter if they do that, maybe. But they need a plan B with Johnson and the way the portal works these days.

14 minutes ago, SDIrishFan said:

But why would a top level QB take a chance on ND? We haven’t developed an NFL QB in decades (please don’t bring up Book). Kizer was close but how many high school kids do you think know his name?

We need a home run recruit but can’t get one with our track record. Cart and horse and all That.

Haha. I would never bring up Book as a bonafide NFL qb. Maybe I’m old school. But if I’m a top notch qb, it wouldn’t matter if the school produced a NFL qb or not. I would want to go to a blue blood and be “the guy” that created that environment. But I feel most kids these days only go where they can play and where they can win right away. Alabama…

6 hours ago, SDIrishFan said:

You have a point, but we have not had a stereotypical NFL type QB on the roster at all. Gunner Kiel was the probably the last elite NFL type QB coming out of high school. Golson and Zaire are not NFL type QBs, Wimbush did not pan out like we all had hoped, then you had Kizer (NFL type but not highly ranked) and Book (not a NFL type). If we had a highly ranked 6'2"+ athletic QB with a strong arm come in, what could we accomplish?

35 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

You have a point, but we have not had a stereotypical NFL type QB on the roster at all. Gunner Kiel was the probably the last elite NFL type QB coming out of high school. Golson and Zaire are not NFL type QBs, Wimbush did not pan out like we all had hoped, then you had Kizer (NFL type but not highly ranked) and Book (not a NFL type). If we had a highly ranked 6'2"+ athletic QB with a strong arm come in, what could we accomplish?

Quite frankly I don’t care about the NFL and if they fit that mold. NFL is a different game. I do want a QB who can be a difference maker at the college level. I do think Golson could have been that had he been 3 inches taller and kept his nose clean.

And honestly I don’t know if stars are based on NFL potential or college potential?? I believe Tebow was a 5 star but I don’t know who thought he’d ever be a quality NFL QB. 

Also, two of the best to ever play the game didn’t exactly lead great college careers (Rogers and Brady). 

I just want a QB at ND where other programs are scared to play, have to game plan specifically for or they’ll lose. I know those are few and far between but name me the last  QB at ND where that happened?

For those that want ND to go after a transfer QB like Daniels, it won't help recruiting a top 2023 QB.  It wouldn't look good if ND feels that they can't develop Buchner or that they misevaluated him.  Not to mention ND's receivers.  Hard to convince a top 2023 QB to join the team with the current WR group.  Things need to improve quick regarding the QB/WR situation because they are tied together.