Should ND Bring In a Transfer Portal QB?

With Carr coming in so early and getting bowl practice reps, the coaches should be extremely excited about what the 24 season looks like in the QB room.

ND should not go to the portal unless it is for a clear backup (which I am not even sure exists in the portal world).

2 hours ago, 4thand1 said:

Every time Angeli gets a chance to play he looks confident, poised and accurate.  If it were my decision, I would only bring in a transfer that understands he will have to compete for the job.

Look at next year's schedule. Seems like a great schedule to break in Angeli or Minchey combined with the fact that the CFB expands next season.  

At some point you have to send the message to recruits that we believe in the recruited QBs and that the team is dedicated to their development.  I think there's a good chance that Angeli could be as good or better than the QBs mentioned as likely being in the portal.  I believe Riley will likely follow Elko to whichever team he joins in the offseason.

Its this.  You are 100% right.  They must go to the portal.  They already said they are going to the portal.  But unless a Heisman type of QB specifically wants to come to South Bend, all Freeman should be looking for in the portal is a QB for depth.  Let Angeli and Minchey fight it out to be the starter.  You bring in someone as a graduate transfer who knows they're never making it to the NFL, someone who just wants to get their ND degree and is ok with being another arm for practice.  They're basically going to be QB3 and won't be playing unless something catastrophic happens next season.  Carr is going to need more time to put some weight on.  After seeing some recent pictures of him there is no way he belongs on a college ballfield yet. 

• Leprechaun 1

I believe essentially every team will be looking at quarterbacks through the portal every season now.  Just as we see in the NFL as those teams draft quarterbacks, it's a crap-shoot.  Zach Wilson taken #2 overall???  High school 5 star QB prospects don't always pan out, and guys like Josh Allen sometimes explode.  I wonder if Josh Allen would have entered the portal, left Wyoming, and gone to, say, Notre Dame if the opportunity had been available.  I think so.

Keep the cupboards stocked.  Make them compete.  Someone wants to transfer in the spring?  Oh well, it's the new reality.  Don't like it, but...

• Flames 1

I'm sure some names will emerge after the regular season. Hartman was on nobody's radar until December. But it's looking bleak out there to get a true difference maker at QB. A lot of guys who were potential targets have decided to pursue the NFL or have opted to stay at their current schools. Freeman wants to bring someone in for the Spring, but he might have to settle for a lower-tier grad transfer or take a gamble on a freshman who ND wanted as a recruit (no, not Dante Moore).

Whoever they bring in, I hope Angeli gets a fair chance to compete for the starting spot. I know he has only appeared in mop up duty against terrible teams, but he has looked really good out there each time he's stepped on the field. Props to Freeman and Parker/Gino for letting him run the offense for large portions of the fourth quarter and not simply forcing him to hand off every time on the last series (referring to the BK method of "playing" second string QBs).

• Flames 1

On 11/5/2023 at 8:49 AM, NYGoldenDomer said:

That's why I don't want anyone of real value that is looking to increase their draft stock.  I would prefer someone who just wants to get their degree and has no problem doing so as a backup in case shit hits the fan.  We have dudes coming in at QB.  The program needs to eventually start trusting those kids to play.  The cycle has to start somewhere.  If its not now, the program will be stuck playing this game at QB until it does.

So I completely agree the desired plan is to become TE and QB University. What  QB in ND history besides Joe and Theisman were coached to be or were coached by top deck talent? Asking for a friend 

6 hours ago, VCDomer said:

So I completely agree the desired plan is to become TE and QB University. What  QB in ND history besides Joe and Theisman were coached to be or were coached by top deck talent? Asking for a friend 

Arguably Quinn and Clausen were coached well under Weis.

• Heart 1

On 11/26/2023 at 1:13 AM, jessemoore97 said:

Arguably Quinn and Clausen were coached well under Weis.

People forget Clausen's 2009 season because the team was garbage, but he had one of the best seasons in ND history, He had a 68% completion percentage, 3722 yards, 8.8 yards/attempt, 28-4 TD-INT ratio, and a 161.4 rating. And he had turf toe for the majority of the season (believe he hurt it against Michigan State in the third game).

Quinn's best year was 2005, where he had a 64.9% completion percentage, 3919 yards (which I believe is the all-time ND record), 8.7 yards/attempt, 32-7 TD-INT ratio, and a 158.4 rating. 

I just wish Clausen, Tate, Floyd, and Rudolph could have been paired with a defense coached by Elko, Lea, or Freeman. Imagine the 2009 offense with the 2023 defense. ND would be in serious contention for a national championship.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1
  • Cheers 1

If we bring in a portal QB, I hope it’s not to develop him as a pro style QB, which I feel like ND did-to its detriment-with Hartman.

This is another reason why we need an experience OC, who can assess his QB’s strengths and weaknesses and call plays-and demand performance- accordingly.

Hartman never had the arm strength to throw downfield without being able to stride into the throw, but he was throwing off his back foot all the way including  the Stanford game.

Maybe Joe Burrow, Matthew Stanford and Josh Allen can make that throw, but Sam Hartman-even if he thought it was necessary to get him NFL ready, surely can’t 

Edited by Frankus
  • Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 2

1 hour ago, lazard said:

why even bother recruiting QBs...just take 5th year transfers every year.

Well this is the dilemma of the portal, NIL, etc for every team going forward.  You could gain or lose all the time and have to account for that with recruiting HS, players from other schools, and trying to sell kids into staying from your own team.

It's a complex situation that I don't think some people understood when they opened this can of worms.  The only thing a good staff can do is be completely up front and forthright about their goals.  Our job is to be successful and we will pursue individuals who we feel can help achieve that desired goal.  At the same time you have the freedom to leave should you feel your talent and goals lie elsewhere.

If everyone dispenses with the concept of loyalty on all sides, and makes decisions from a purely business standpoint then it makes sense.  I don't like it for a number of reasons, but I have zero say in all of it.  This is the bill of goods that everyone was sold on in the name of fairness, and more will follow going towards a club/pro model.

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, lazard said:

why even bother recruiting QBs...just take 5th year transfers every year.

This is one thing I am concerned about, Leonard is a quality QB, I wont argue that, but I also do not think he is a no brainer 1st round draft pick either.

If QB recruits keep seeing ND take transfers, they will think they do not have a legitimate shot at starting and wont commit to ND. QBs greatly effect recruiting classes as well.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, NDhoosier said:

This is one thing I am concerned about, Leonard is a quality QB, I wont argue that, but I also do not think he is a no brainer 1st round draft pick either.

If QB recruits keep seeing ND take transfers, they will think they do not have a legitimate shot at starting and wont commit to ND. QBs greatly effect recruiting classes as well.

Especially when ND is constantly taking good QBs from the portal, not elite QBs.  

• Flames 1