Should ND Bring In a Transfer Portal QB?

You have to consider it, especially if you do not think that Minchey or Angeli are capable starters next year.  If you think one of them can be a capable starter, and also believe that Carr "could" be better than you likely do not seek a starter via transfer. If you think neither of the two incumbents could start next year then regardless of what you think of Carr you go find someone. 

3 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

Maybe, but I am not taking a QB just to take a body. I think teams who constantly get QB transfers may have issues getting QBs to sign with them in the future out of high school. I would still only take an elite QB from the portal; similar to Hartman's projection or better.

I think you put it best…no need to take a warm body unless something drastic happens there, but if a guy that greatly improves your team it’s a no brainer

• Cheers 1

Just now, mcgov12 said:

I think you put it best…no need to take a warm body unless something drastic happens there, but if a guy that greatly improves your team it’s a no brainer

Yeah I'd need it to be a player who has played at the level ND plays at. I dislike continuing to use Riley Leonard, but because Duke plays the ACC he'd be a tske for me if he wanted to come.

• Heart 3

I love the idea of Carr coming in and taking over, and he looks great IMO.  But that seems unlikely.  Minchey won't stick around if he's not 1 or 2 in spring.  And if he's behind Carr, I bet he's out.  

I think the portal will be more crowded than ever this offseason - it's the new normal.  We'll have opportunities that might fit.  If we don't take, we're going to have a bumpy '24 with a young QB.

• Heart 2

17 minutes ago, JeffV said:

I love the idea of Carr coming in and taking over, and he looks great IMO.  But that seems unlikely.  Minchey won't stick around if he's not 1 or 2 in spring.  And if he's behind Carr, I bet he's out.  

I think the portal will be more crowded than ever this offseason - it's the new normal.  We'll have opportunities that might fit.  If we don't take, we're going to have a bumpy '24 with a young QB.

Yeah, it's a bit of a catch 22. Bring in a QB from the portal and for sure one of Angeli/Minchey will hit the road. Stand pat and hope someone doesn't leave because they've fallen to 3rd on the QB depth chart after spring ball. Would hate to lose Minchey before we can really see what he's made of.

• Leprechaun 1

@Texas A&M
Northern Illinois
@Purdue
Miami of Ohio
Louisville
Stanford
@Georgia Tech
Navy (in NJ)
Florida State
Virginia
@USC

Unless there is an absolute DUDE who wants to come to South Bend, if I'm Freeman, I roll my own QB against this schedule.  Angeli/Minchey should hopefully be ok against this schedule.  Yes, starting on the road at A&M is baptism by fire, but the rest of that schedule is very doable.  Granted, there is one more game to be added due to the Miami/ACC snafu.  Hopefully the last team added is a decent school but not a barn burner.  Maybe Boston College or Wake Forest.  Idk.

Next season starts the 12 team CFP, ND won't need to run the table to get in anymore.  Even if they lose to A&M and FSU 10-2 should still get them in.  Who knows what USC is next season.  With cuntface, I mean Caleb, unsure about declaring for the NFL Draft after this season based on who the top few teams turn out to be and rumors of Riley looking to move on to the NFL, USC could be right back to where they were two years ago.  A dumpster fire.  

At some point, the program has to trust the process and our own talent to develop and learn and play as an underclassman.  The staff has strung together a nice streak of landing top talented QBs in the past three classes.  That trend will not last if those QBs keep getting passed up for hired guns from the portal.

Actually, let me double down on everything above.  I do get a QB from the portal, no matter what.  Either its the "dude" I mentioned at the beginning of my rant, the QB that you just cannot pass up on.  Or you bring in someone, with experience, that knows they're not starting, and the rest of the kids know as well so hopefully no one transfers out.  Someone to be a mentor.  Someone that will basically be Guidugli's assistant.  Maybe its someone that wants to get an ND degree.  Maybe its a graduate transfer that knows they're not making the NFL and has aspirations in coaching and wants to bank a year of ND NIL money.  As long as the team isn't up against the scholarship limit and its needed for someone else, I bring in that seasoned veteran backup.

• Heart 2

7 hours ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

@Texas A&M
Northern Illinois
@Purdue
Miami of Ohio
Louisville
Stanford
@Georgia Tech
Navy (in NJ)
Florida State
Virginia
@USC

Unless there is an absolute DUDE who wants to come to South Bend, if I'm Freeman, I roll my own QB against this schedule.  Angeli/Minchey should hopefully be ok against this schedule.  Yes, starting on the road at A&M is baptism by fire, but the rest of that schedule is very doable.  Granted, there is one more game to be added due to the Miami/ACC snafu.  Hopefully the last team added is a decent school but not a barn burner.  Maybe Boston College or Wake Forest.  Idk.

Next season starts the 12 team CFP, ND won't need to run the table to get in anymore.  Even if they lose to A&M and FSU 10-2 should still get them in.  Who knows what USC is next season.  With cuntface, I mean Caleb, unsure about declaring for the NFL Draft after this season based on who the top few teams turn out to be and rumors of Riley looking to move on to the NFL, USC could be right back to where they were two years ago.  A dumpster fire.  

At some point, the program has to trust the process and our own talent to develop and learn and play as an underclassman.  The staff has strung together a nice streak of landing top talented QBs in the past three classes.  That trend will not last if those QBs keep getting passed up for hired guns from the portal.

Actually, let me double down on everything above.  I do get a QB from the portal, no matter what.  Either its the "dude" I mentioned at the beginning of my rant, the QB that you just cannot pass up on.  Or you bring in someone, with experience, that knows they're not starting, and the rest of the kids know as well so hopefully no one transfers out.  Someone to be a mentor.  Someone that will basically be Guidugli's assistant.  Maybe its someone that wants to get an ND degree.  Maybe its a graduate transfer that knows they're not making the NFL and has aspirations in coaching and wants to bank a year of ND NIL money.  As long as the team isn't up against the scholarship limit and its needed for someone else, I bring in that seasoned veteran backup.

Ok NYGoldenDomer, so which is it? It looks like you're going both ways here...lol

or

Actually, let me double down on everything above.  I do get a QB from the portal, no matter what.

12 hours ago, jimbo said:

Ok NYGoldenDomer, so which is it? It looks like you're going both ways here...lol

or

Actually, let me double down on everything above.  I do get a QB from the portal, no matter what.

Did you read past "no matter what" or did you stop there?  I clearly explained myself.

• Laughing Leprechaun 2

12 hours ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Did you read past "no matter what" or did you stop there?  I clearly explained myself.

I was just playfully observing that you had made a pretty good case for not bringing in a QB from the portal and obviously your last paragraph 'doubles down' on bringing one in. Just a little good-natured ribbing is all.

11 hours ago, jimbo said:

I was just playfully observing that you had made a pretty good case for not bringing in a QB from the portal and obviously your last paragraph 'doubles down' on bringing one in. Just a little good-natured ribbing is all.

Oh, no I got it dude, we're good.  I was ribbing back as well lol 🍻🍻

So the word is the coaching staff is going to meet to discuss next year and the possibilities of going back into the portal. Between the lines it seems to say “convince me we have THE GUY” or “Not sure about what we have so let’s explore”. The landscape of college football has changed. You better have a stud or keep looking. IMHO

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, VCDomer said:

So the word is the coaching staff is going to meet to discuss next year and the possibilities of going back into the portal. Between the lines it seems to say “convince me we have THE GUY” or “Not sure about what we have so let’s explore”. The landscape of college football has changed. You better have a stud or keep looking. IMHO

Yeah, I just saw that too.

Here’s a post about it from Pete Sampson.

On 10/23/2023 at 4:48 PM, mcgov12 said:

I think you 100% have to get one. I also dont know why people assume Kenny or Angeli wont transfer themselves. Transfer portal is a two way street. 

• Heart 1

Maybe I am just too set in my ways (old dog, new tricks) but it seems to me like there are bigger issues at play if the staff still needs to dip into the xfer portal at this point. There are 2 guys on the roster that have had the opportunity to spend a year in the system and learning from an incredibly experience veteran QB. There is also a very highly rated QB coming in to the program that may have the chops to push for playing time in year 1 (I hope he gets to sit for a year to acclimate, but QBs are coming in to college more and more prepared every year....so who knows).

It is also worth noting that the Hartman situation is not something you should expect to see every year. Hartman was a high end QB that had oodles of experience and wanted to come back to improve his draft stock. Additionally (and probably most importantly) is was also a graduate xfer. For ND there are limitations (self inflicted wounds for sure) on who they can bring in from the portal. Hartman checked all the boxes. Is there going to be another high end QB that is either a grad xfer or someone that really hit the books?

I completely support dipping into the portal if it is a legitimate need, but there is a point where the staff is going to have to develop and play one of their own. I have a huge concern that continually using the portal for a one-and-done QB is going to have an impact on recruiting and on being able to retain the talent on the roster.

• Heart 3
  • Flames 1

41 minutes ago, IrishGuy said:

Maybe I am just too set in my ways (old dog, new tricks) but it seems to me like there are bigger issues at play if the staff still needs to dip into the xfer portal at this point. There are 2 guys on the roster that have had the opportunity to spend a year in the system and learning from an incredibly experience veteran QB. There is also a very highly rated QB coming in to the program that may have the chops to push for playing time in year 1 (I hope he gets to sit for a year to acclimate, but QBs are coming in to college more and more prepared every year....so who knows).

It is also worth noting that the Hartman situation is not something you should expect to see every year. Hartman was a high end QB that had oodles of experience and wanted to come back to improve his draft stock. Additionally (and probably most importantly) is was also a graduate xfer. For ND there are limitations (self inflicted wounds for sure) on who they can bring in from the portal. Hartman checked all the boxes. Is there going to be another high end QB that is either a grad xfer or someone that really hit the books?

I completely support dipping into the portal if it is a legitimate need, but there is a point where the staff is going to have to develop and play one of their own. I have a huge concern that continually using the portal for a one-and-done QB is going to have an impact on recruiting and on being able to retain the talent on the roster.

Yes, I think it comes down to if the staff has confidence in Angeli/Minchey for next season. I hope it's Carr though he's still a freshman. My take is Angeli is a maybe, with Minchey probably having more upside.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, IrishGuy said:

What happens if 1 gets hurt and 1 transfers? Need to have 4 scholarship QBs on the roster. Attrition will happen. 

• Heart 1

I could see why we'd play the portal 1 more year, but if we're not developing starters from within that 2 way street of outgoing transfers is going to perpetuate.  I'd love to see Minchey make a jump in the offseason.  Angeli hasn't jumped out still.  Carr is polished but young.  

Interesting off-season loading.

• Cheers 1
  • Leprechaun 1

2 hours ago, Synoptico said:

What happens if 1 gets hurt and 1 transfers? Need to have 4 scholarship QBs on the roster. Attrition will happen. 

There will be 3 on next season's roster (more if you count the walk ons). 3 to 4 is a healthy number that should lead to heathy competition and coverage in case of injuries. Of course, in the day of the portal it may also lead to 1....glad I am not a coach.

If you go to the portal, you now have 2 guys that have been passed up twice with a TF coming in to fight for the spot in 2025 (which, at that point, Carr is likely the favorite to take over). I think this scenario is much more likely to result in players jumping in the portal.

• Heart 1

Going forward, QB is going to be the position in which the portal will have the biggest effect on underclassmen.  ND's current situation is exactly why.  You have Angeli going into his JR year next season.  He paid his dues as 3rd string last season in his freshman year and 2nd string this season in his sophomore year.  Just about everything I read online and hear on ND podcasts is "Will Kenny Minchey be ready to take over next season?"  I honestly don't think I have seen a single outlet mention Angeli for next season.  Now, I get it, Minchey has more upside.  He was a higher rated recruit.  You hope he is ready to go.  Not everyone is meant to start.  Etc, etc.

Ok, so Minchey(SO) starts next season, Angeli(JR) QB2 and Carr(FR) QB3.  Carr is supposed to be an even better player than Minchey.  So Minchey gets surpassed by Carr after starting one season.  Angeli gets passed on again.  Hopefully at that point Angeli gets it, he's not starter material at ND and is ok with it.  Well, Minchey spent a season playing, I'm sure he's going to want to keep playing.  He transfers out.  

Ok, well, Minchey is gone, Carr(SO) is QB1, Angeli(SR) still QB2, and now Knight(FR) is QB3.  Do you think Knight, a borderline 5* recruit is going to want to wait 3 years for Carr to graduate before he starts for one or two seasons?  

And this isn't even taking red shirt statuses into account or players leaving early for the draft.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

The possibilities seem almost endless. Last year at this time, did any of us think that both Pyne and Buchner would hit the portal? Or that Pyne would leave before the bowl game?

At least it keeps the off-season interesting. 555

• Heart 1