Should ND Bring In a Transfer Portal QB?

On 10/26/2023 at 8:58 PM, VCDomer said:

So the word is the coaching staff is going to meet to discuss next year and the possibilities of going back into the portal. Between the lines it seems to say “convince me we have THE GUY” or “Not sure about what we have so let’s explore”. The landscape of college football has changed. You better have a stud or keep looking. IMHO

I think they do this with every position and it goes without saying.

ND needs to go into the portal at QB any chance they get.

CMF repeatedly laments the difficulty getting undergrad transfers in at ND so they need to throw around NIL and whatever they can to get the best players who either have their degree or are freshman who haven't been admitted into a "school/college" yet. 

Unless you have Brady Quinn I'm going into the portal for a signal caller every year.

Hopefully Angeli is that dude but remains to be seen. Looked really poised and under control today. 

• Heart 1

Bigger issue to me is whether Parker will have an offense that is considered appealing to QBs and WRs.  

I am confident with the group of 3 QBs for '24 unless a heisman candidate level transfer is interested.  I would take the transfer only if I'm convinced that Parker will take more shots downfield.  I love the ND running game and don't want it to go away but maybe more balance.  I don't have the #s to back this up.  Maybe it's more balanced than I realize.  

I would hope that '24 is the last year this has to be a topic.  If ND continues to sign QBs like Minchey, Carr and Knight I roll with my recruited guys year in, year out.  Also, communication with the rostered QBs is essential.  Have a heart to heart with them and explain why you go to the portal if you feel you need to.  Minchey and Angeli will know if they are performing like playoff level QBs or not and may understand the decision if they aren't.  They were alll told that ND is striving to contend for championships and no one player is above that goal. 

• Flames 1

5 minutes ago, 4thand1 said:

Bigger issue to me is whether Parker will have an offense that is considered appealing to QBs and WRs.  

I am confident with the group of 3 QBs for '24 unless a heisman candidate level transfer is interested.  I would take the transfer only if I'm convinced that Parker will take more shots downfield.  I love the ND running game and don't want it to go away but maybe more balance.  I don't have the #s to back this up.  Maybe it's more balanced than I realize.  

I would hope that '24 is the last year this has to be a topic.  If ND continues to sign QBs like Minchey, Carr and Knight I roll with my recruited guys year in, year out.  Also, communication with the rostered QBs is essential.  Have a heart to heart with them and explain why you go to the portal if you feel you need to.  Minchey and Angeli will know if they are performing like playoff level QBs or not and may understand the decision if they aren't.  They were alll told that ND is striving to contend for championships and no one player is above that goal. 

I actually think that we've taken a lot more shots down field this season than any I can remember since Kizer and Fuller were on the field together.  It helps to have a QB like Hartman who has a decent arm and accuracy to do it of course.  If we can keep Williams this class, who is highly regarded as a polished and very fast receiver, he'll be had to keep off the field and could really help stretch D's.

• Flames 1

50 minutes ago, 4thand1 said:

I would hope that '24 is the last year this has to be a topic.  If ND continues to sign QBs like Minchey, Carr and Knight I roll with my recruited guys year in, year out.  Also, communication with the rostered QBs is essential.  Have a heart to heart with them and explain why you go to the portal if you feel you need to.  Minchey and Angeli will know if they are performing like playoff level QBs or not and may understand the decision if they aren't.  They were all told that ND is striving to contend for championships and no one player is above that goal. 

This.  In my opinion this is key.  I feel Freeman should without a doubt go into the portal for a QB for next season, no matter what.  But in my opinion its to get a quality veteran backup type with a load of experience to help Angeli, Carr, and Minchey along next season.  Make sure its communicated to them that this player will not be playing unless one of you leave and the other gets hurt, or if you both stay and you both get hurt.  Next season is yours for the taking.  Unless of course, someone that has Heisman type skills decides they want to come here.  Even then, me personally, I would hate to disrupt the development process.  But that is just someone you cannot pass on the opportunity to bring in.  Especially with the 12 team CFP starting next season.  Anything can happen when a team needs to in 3+ games.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, jessemoore97 said:

I actually think that we've taken a lot more shots down field this season than any I can remember since Kizer and Fuller were on the field together.  It helps to have a QB like Hartman who has a decent arm and accuracy to do it of course.  If we can keep Williams this class, who is highly regarded as a polished and very fast receiver, he'll be had to keep off the field and could really help stretch D's.

Yeah for sure with Hartman we’re seeing more deep balls, especially compared to Pyne last year.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

This.  In my opinion this is key.  I feel Freeman should without a doubt go into the portal for a QB for next season, no matter what.  But in my opinion its to get a quality veteran backup type with a load of experience to help Angeli, Carr, and Minchey along next season.  Make sure its communicated to them that this player will not be playing unless one of you leave and the other gets hurt, or if you both stay and you both get hurt.  Next season is yours for the taking.  Unless of course, someone that has Heisman type skills decides they want to come here.  Even then, me personally, I would hate to disrupt the development process.  But that is just someone you cannot pass on the opportunity to bring in.  Especially with the 12 team CFP starting next season.  Anything can happen when a team needs to in 3+ games.

This sounds like a good plan, I think the difficulty arises in finding a decent QB in the portal that is content to ride the bench. My guess is most, if not all, transfer portal QB’s are looking for playing time. It would be the rare exception for a guy to come in primarily to get an ND grad degree. Probably to us, that would be a wise decision, but these guys want to play ball.

• Heart 1
  • Trophy 1

I know this will be unpopular, but I think no portal, go with who we have. I don’t know why people are dismissing Angeli.  He has good size - 6’2” & 210 lbs. in limited action, he’s 75% completions, 3 TDS, no INTs, no sacks, good speed, strong (not strongest, but strong) arm. He’s behind not the 1st team line mostly. He’ll be 3 years in system.

Minchey has more upside, so everyone says, but it will be his 2nd year in system. Haven’t seen him enough to give an opinion. 

My biggest concern is the long term effects of going into portal again. Not unreasonable that Angeli AND Minchey leave if they bring in new starter, leaving new guy backed up by true freshman Carr. Start Angeli or Minchey, the other stays as they are 1 play away, and I believe both believe they would be ahead of Carr. College game just too fast for a true freshman to come in and start. Is Carr higher recruit than Arch Manning, who’s #3 on Texas depth chart?    Good QB recruiting under CMF. I don’t know a better way to sabotage that success than with taking transfer portal QB year after year.

Can anyone list  a single highly successful (CFP) 1-and-done transfer QB? If yes, I am open to reconsideration. 

Edited by jmfinsd
  • Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 2

13 hours ago, jmfinsd said:

I know this will be unpopular, but I think no portal, go with who we have. I don’t know why people are dismissing Angeli.  He has good size - 6’2” & 210 lbs. in limited action, he’s 75% completions, 3 TDS, no INTs, no sacks, good speed, strong (not strongest, but strong) arm. He’s behind not the 1st team line mostly. He’ll be 3 years in system.

Minchey has more upside, so everyone says, but it will be his 2nd year in system. Haven’t seen him enough to give an opinion. 

My biggest concern is the long term effects of going into portal again. Not unreasonable that Angeli AND Minchey leave if they bring in new starter, leaving new guy backed up by true freshman Carr. Start Angeli or Minchey, the other stays as they are 1 play away, and I believe both believe they would be ahead of Carr. College game just too fast for a true freshman to come in and start. Is Carr higher recruit than Arch Manning, who’s #3 on Texas depth chart?    Good QB recruiting under CMF. I don’t know a better way to sabotage that success than with taking transfer portal QB year after year.

Can anyone list  a single highly successful (CFP) 1-and-done transfer QB? If yes, I am open to reconsideration. 

I agree with everything you said, especially what you said in bold about Angeli. It really made me realize it when I saw him do this!

Rolling to his left, throwing off his back foot while running, and hit Flanigan in stride! Not many QBs can do that!

With that being said, I say no to a transfer portal QB and ND rolls with Angeli next year, and have Minchy be the backup. Or see who wins the job during fall camp?

Either way, I feel Notre Dame is good at QB, so no need to look any where else!

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1

I just dont understand where this confidence of only have 3 QBs on the roster is OK. 1 leaves, one gets hurt, one doesnt pan out. That is realistic.  Dont need to look far into the histroy books to understand it. Also, taking a QB doesnt mean that QB has to play. Look at Bama and Buchner, you dont promise the starting job to them. Do you think Bama is happy he is on their roster, sure. It didnt hurt them at all to have him as their q3 and compete. 

• Heart 1

It's gonna be tricky this spring..  Carr, Angeli and Minchey will all be ready to compete at spring practice.  Seems very possible one would leave if they don[t win the battle, as Buchner did.

Carr wins it and Angeli and Minchey might both leave.  Dominoes will fall.

I believe the portal will be plentiful, and I think we'll be adding the best QB we can find there (due in part to numbers, as Synoptico said) .  And ideally, you'd add one after the regular season so they can come in and learn the playbook.  It might not be an instant starter, but it might hurt some feelings, either way.

No promises to anyone, just let 'em compete.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, jmfinsd said:

I understand your points. But if you bring in a transfer QB for the third out of four years, and you do that early enough in the year to allow that QB to become familiar with the system, I think odds are either Angeli or Minchey see the writing on the wall and leave and you’re back to having a Numbers problem. and, let’s face it, if you’re talking about your third or fourth QB, the season’s done.  Or maybe I’m too focused on the long-term in this fluid football world, but I say roll with Angeli and Minchey as presumptive 1-2, put Carr in whatever spot he earns, and play it out.

Exactly right!! 👏🏼

• Heart 2

The Buchner situation happened BECAUSE OF THE PORTAL. People seem to forget that part in their argument for why ND should use it again in 2024. Also, Buchner saw an opportunity to go to an elite program and be the odds on favorite to be the starter. 

The portal adds a ton of complexity to an already complex situation. There are so many scenarios that could play out that would lead to QBs leaving the program. When MF names a starter for 2024 (whether that is someone on the roster today, Carr, or someone acquired via the portal), the coaches will be holding their breath. The simple truth is that ND could add 3 QBs or none and come August of 2024 they could end up at 1 with a bunch of walk on back ups.

The simple truth is that the staff needs to figure out if they feel confident in the people that will be on the roster in 2024 or if using the portal again is needed.  They need to assess the risk of using the portal vs not using the portal (risk of forcing the hand of Angeli and/or Minchey, potential impacts to recruiting, the risk of not having numbers / depth). We can all make arguments for or against using the portal....but it really just comes down to how the staff feels about the roster and whether someone that checks all the on-field boxes that CAN enroll at ND is available.

Personally, I think using the portal again in 2024 is a huge risk. I also think that if the staff is not confident in the roster at this point, then there are some serious issues with recruiting and player development.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

24 minutes ago, IrishGuy said:

The Buchner situation happened BECAUSE OF THE PORTAL. People seem to forget that part in their argument for why ND should use it again in 2024. Also, Buchner saw an opportunity to go to an elite program and be the odds on favorite to be the starter. 

The portal adds a ton of complexity to an already complex situation. There are so many scenarios that could play out that would lead to QBs leaving the program. When MF names a starter for 2024 (whether that is someone on the roster today, Carr, or someone acquired via the portal), the coaches will be holding their breath. The simple truth is that ND could add 3 QBs or none and come August of 2024 they could end up at 1 with a bunch of walk on back ups.

The simple truth is that the staff needs to figure out if they feel confident in the people that will be on the roster in 2024 or if using the portal again is needed.  They need to assess the risk of using the portal vs not using the portal (risk of forcing the hand of Angeli and/or Minchey, potential impacts to recruiting, the risk of not having numbers / depth). We can all make arguments for or against using the portal....but it really just comes down to how the staff feels about the roster and whether someone that checks all the on-field boxes that CAN enroll at ND is available.

Personally, I think using the portal again in 2024 is a huge risk. I also think that if the staff is not confident in the roster at this point, then there are some serious issues with recruiting and player development.

Agree on the first part. But that means that NDs QB room this year would have been Buchner, Angeli and Minchey. Pyne still would have left. 

What would their record have been?

Edited by Synoptico
  • Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Synoptico said:

Agree on the first part. But that means that NDs QB room this year would have been Buchner, Angeli and Minchey. Pyne still would have left. 

What would their record have been?

My understanding is Pyne leaving was due to him being told (or finding out) that "at best" 2023 was going to be a competition and he was not being handed the stater role.

It is really hard to say what the record would be with Buchner or Angeli as a starter....I mean, Sam hasn't been lighting up the world since ND started playing real competition and the heart of the offense is a defense playing lights out and a running game. I'd go as far as to say that the record would be pretty similar...