Should ND Bring In a Transfer Portal QB?

1 minute ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

If you want to debate a point then quote the person you want to debate.  Just to put context into my reasoning, since it seems its my opinion that you think is "rich", but have you seen ND's schedule for next season?  Aside from A&M to open the season, USC to close the season, and Florida State sprinkled in the middle its a very manageable schedule.  Next season starts the 12 team CFP.  ND has to be top 11 to make it since #12 will go to the highest ranked Group of Five school.  Just curious though, you do realize that most programs eventually have to resort to an unproven player once the starter graduates.  That's typically how college football has always worked.  I know it doesn't have to be that way anymore due to the portal but its going to be a hard cycle to break if it becomes something ND resorts to doing every year.  Its been almost a decade since the ND QB room will have as much talent as it will have next season.  You have to develop you're own talent if you ever have hopes of continuing to recruit said talent.  Do you think that ND can just get by every season hoping to find a stud QB in the portal to fill in for one season?  That's pretty rich...

If I was specifically replying to you I would have quoted you. I have seen that sentiment multiple times, so I did exactly as I intended. I have no problem with people wanting to become a program that develops qbs internally, I just think it’s a year too early.

If Freeman is considered a failure because he doesn’t follow some arbitrary guideline set by some random fans then oh well. I don’t think next year is the year you turn away a stud qb because of some imaginary “optics.” You know what would make for bad optics? Missing the 12 team playoff next year and hearing every talking head talk about how Freeman is on the hot seat. If he has the ability to get a Pratt type player, I would consider it a failure not to. Pratt leaves and Angeli still has 2 years of eligibility, Minchey 3 and Carr 4. That would be the season I would agree it’s time to put up or shut up as far as internal qb development goes. Freeman doesn’t have a year to spare to please fans that have no clue what the qb room looks like. His offense is already under the microscope and if it’s a dud next year it could be catastrophic for him. If he doesn’t feel like the guys he has in that qb room are ready to perform at a playoff level then it’s his responsibility to find one that is.

4 minutes ago, nremdn said:

If I was specifically replying to you I would have quoted you. I have seen that sentiment multiple times, so I did exactly as I intended. I have no problem with people wanting to become a program that develops qbs internally, I just think it’s a year too early.

If Freeman is considered a failure because he doesn’t follow some arbitrary guideline set by some random fans then oh well. I don’t think next year is the year you turn away a stud qb because of some imaginary “optics.” You know what would make for bad optics? Missing the 12 team playoff next year and hearing every talking head talk about how Freeman is on the hot seat. If he has the ability to get a Pratt type player, I would consider it a failure not to. Pratt leaves and Angeli still has 2 years of eligibility, Minchey 3 and Carr 4. That would be the season I would agree it’s time to put up or shut up as far as internal qb development goes. Freeman doesn’t have a year to spare to please fans that have no clue what the qb room looks like. His offense is already under the microscope and if it’s a dud next year it could be catastrophic for him. If he doesn’t feel like the guys he has in that qb room are ready to perform at a playoff level then it’s his responsibility to find one that is.

I agree and disagree with some of your points.  The problem I have is that if you go to the portal next year to get any Joe Schmo just to have a vet QB for a playoff run then you risk losing your own talent to a school that will play them right now.  As it is I can see whichever one of Angeli or Minchey leaving if they're not the starter regardless knowing they have Carr and Knight following behind them.  If you go to the portal for a starter next season I think you risk losing both of them.  I don't think that is something you risk for a QB from Tulane who is also coming off of a knee injury.  I wouldn't do it for a Riley Leonard.  I'd probably do it for Drake Maye.  I would definitely do it for Caleb Williams, even though I cannot stand his antics.  

Regardless of how many years of eligibility our own QBs have, it doesn't mean they're going to stick around in South Bend waiting to complete those years.  Its a shitty situation for Freeman to be in.  Hell, its a shitty situation for any coach to be in.  This is the landscape of college football for the foreseeable future though.  The easiest way to avoid having to keep dipping into the portal is to develop and play your own players.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

I wouldn't do it for a Riley Leonard.  I'd probably do it for Drake Maye.  I would definitely do it for Caleb Williams, even though I cannot stand his antics.  

I'd likely end my Irish fandom if we took on Caleb Williams

• Heart 2
  • Laughing Leprechaun 1

6 hours ago, Soko said:

Time to see what the two QBs we have on the roster can do. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from playing Hartman again. He'd probably lose his job even if there was no transfer portal.

I completely agree! I even said during the Clemson game to put Angeli in. Mostly for a reality check to get Hartman’s head straight. But at this point, I’m thinking he should be third string due to the way he’s been playing, because we all know he’s gone after this season.

Like everyone has said, doubt it can get that much worse and we might as well see what Angeli and Minchey can do!

I can also guarantee Hartman’s draft stock is super low due to the way he’s been playing lately, and can almost guarantee he will not even get drafted. Shoot, who knows if he’ll even be able to sign with a team as an unstaffed free agent at this point?

Man, what a waste! 😑

21 hours ago, Rocketsan said:

I'd likely end my Irish fandom if we took on Caleb Williams

I get it, I wouldn't want him either, I was just making the point as far as a player of his skill level.  How can you turn away a former Heisman winner?  Its a shame he doesn't have the guts to match his skill.  The way he pouts and shuts down once he is taken out of control of a game, I can see his NFL career mirroring that of Manziel's.  I can see him totally crashing and burning.

• Flames 1

Who would you guys say have been the best 5 transfer QB's, those who transferred and played just one year at their new school?

Jalen Hurts.

Russell Wilson.

Cam Newton.

Others?

Anyone like that going to be available in this year's portal?  

6 minutes ago, AnTostal said:

Who would you guys say have been the best 5 transfer QB's, those who transferred and played just one year at their new school?

Jalen Hurts.

Russell Wilson.

Cam Newton.

Others?

Joe Burrow and Justin Fields.

Edit: And Caleb Williams.

10 minutes ago, AnTostal said:

Jalen Hurts.
Russell Wilson.
Cam Newton.
Others?

I have no clue who might be out there next season.

1 hour ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

I have no clue who might be out there next season.

Exactly! I'm sure some people at Notre Dame may have some inside information, but they're definitely not sharing it with anyone outside the program. As long as the transfer portal stays as is I think there will be some elite quarterbacks that jump in every year. There's just too much money and opportunity out there for everyone to just stay put. Despite how anyone feels about Hartman's recent play, it's hard to argue that coming to Notre Dame wasn't an enormous boost to both his wallet and his brand. Being the Notre Dame quarterback is a pretty sweet gig, especially if you play well.

• Heart 2
  • Flames 1

14 hours ago, tneun89 said:

Joe Burrow and Justin Fields.

Edit: And Caleb Williams.

I was asking about guys who transferred and only played one year at the new school. Those three played at least two years at their new school. I’m asking about, essentially, QB rentals for one year only, like Hartman this year. 

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, AnTostal said:

I was asking about guys who transferred and only played one year at the new school. Those three played at least two years at their new school. I’m asking about, essentially, QB rentals for one year only, like Hartman this year. 

Ah, gotcha. Sometimes, reading is hard 😂

• Laughing Leprechaun 2

Every time Angeli gets a chance to play he looks confident, poised and accurate.  If it were my decision, I would only bring in a transfer that understands he will have to compete for the job.

Look at next year's schedule. Seems like a great schedule to break in Angeli or Minchey combined with the fact that the CFB expands next season.  

At some point you have to send the message to recruits that we believe in the recruited QBs and that the team is dedicated to their development.  I think there's a good chance that Angeli could be as good or better than the QBs mentioned as likely being in the portal.  I believe Riley will likely follow Elko to whichever team he joins in the offseason.

• Flames 1
  • Cheers 1