Should ND Bring In a Transfer Portal QB?

1 hour ago, jmfinsd said:

Good call. Is there, in your opinion, a “Jalen Hurts” that will be in the portal this year? 

Not sure yet as there really arent platers in it yet. I would put Cam Rising in the Sam hartman category though should he enter

• Heart 1

On 10/29/2023 at 11:09 PM, jimbo said:

This sounds like a good plan, I think the difficulty arises in finding a decent QB in the portal that is content to ride the bench. My guess is most, if not all, transfer portal QB’s are looking for playing time. It would be the rare exception for a guy to come in primarily to get an ND grad degree. Probably to us, that would be a wise decision, but these guys want to play ball.

And this is precisely the QB I mentioned in my post earlier in this very thread.  You find someone who is either looking to get an ND degree, someone who knows they don't have the chops to make it in the NFL and wants to get a season of ND NIL money(which all Irish players receive), or they want to get into coaching and can check all three boxes.

• Heart 1

We've all weighed in with our opinions on what ND should do regarding the QB/transfer portal. So the next question is:

What do you think ND / Marcus Freeman will actually wind up doing in this regard?

My money is on ND will only take a QB out of the portal if he is a top tier guy, a Hartman part 2. If they can't get a top guy, then they will pass and go with Angeli, Minchey and Carr. That's my guess.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 2
  • Leprechaun 1

2 hours ago, jimbo said:

We've all weighed in with our opinions on what ND should do regarding the QB/transfer portal. So the next question is:

What do you think ND / Marcus Freeman will actually wind up doing in this regard?

My money is on ND will only take a QB out of the portal if he is a top tier guy, a Hartman part 2. If they can't get a top guy, then they will pass and go with Angeli, Minchey and Carr. That's my guess.

I agree 100% on this

• Heart 1

Pratt came out and denied this, but what's he supposed to do when it's the middle of the season and Tulane is in the mix for a NY6 Bowl.

He is currently ranked third in the country in passing efficiency. He would definitely qualify as top tier guy and difference maker. 

• Flames 2

I don't know if I actually believe what I am about to type or if I am just speaking from the heart with what I hope will happen.....but I do not think that ND takes a xfer portal QB this year unless someone leaves or it is a truly elite QB (i.e. similar to Caleb Williams xferring to USC). 

• Flames 1
  • Leprechaun 1

Agree they'd only take a top tier IF it's post-season (winter portal window or grad student).  There's fallout from spring ball no matter what, though.  All 3 probably looking to start.  Carr is the only one that doesn't feel like a portal risk if he doesn't.  And if he DOES start, might lose 2.  4 is roster bare minimum, typically (starter, backups, scout, etc).

Portal opens back up after spring ball.  There's a good possibility they NEED a backup.  Not sure how many willing backups come to ND, but there gonna need depth in a lot of scenarios.  

But I stick to prior opinion overall.  The portal is just the norm now.  QB's looking to play, build NFL resumes, and moving for a better situation.  Hartman's NIL $ set a nice precedent.  I believe they can find and will find a 1 year starter, at the expense of the current roster (and Carr the heir apparent).

They try to talk Angeli into staying the year and maybe graduating.  Minchey gauges his role and looks around.  2 incoming transfer QB's is more realistic than none, IMO.

Edited by JeffV
  • Heart 1

Temperament seems to be changing. Hartman hasn’t been the same since Duke. Parker no doubt has been over his skis and an abject failure as OC. Our WR corps is what I thought it would be at the beginning of the year… Inexperienced, not threatening and marginal at best. However, they have not game planned for this well (see Parker). I think we should sit Sam as well and play out the season with Angelli. But we know that won’t happen. So , drink the milkshake and hire a real OC and sniff the portal if needed. WR help coming if we hold. BTW. WTF is wrong with Tyree? Who the heck is that guy wearing his jersey?

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

16 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

Sitting Hartman would be unwise. He is still probably the best QB (most ready) on the roster and it would be a slap in the face to future transfer prospects, "If we lose, we will sit you to play younger players."

I don't necessarily disagree.  However, future transfers or recruits for any position should not be guaranteed anything, you have to earn your time. 

I believe Saban sat Milrose early on, and that may have been a net positive for him getting himself together and player much better now.  Needless to say if you are performing poorly, your spot may be up for grabs until you prove otherwise.  

I don't for a moment think SH is going to get pulled in these last couple games.  I actually wonder if he'll stick around for the bowl game honestly.

• Cheers 1

Copying this from another thread I replied in but it fits this conversation too..

I'm torn on the whole sit Hartman and play the kids for the next two games.  It could potentially send a bad message.  Don't get me wrong, I would love to get a head start on next season and get these two kids some proper playing time.  We know one of them will be playing the bowl game as I'm sure Hartman will be deciding to sit out of the PopTarts Bowl.  However, at the same time, I don't want to run the risk of losing these last two games.  What a friging nightmare that would be.  I would worry about the effect it might have on 2025 recruits looking at a 7-5 record instead of 9-3.

I stand by my earlier opinions that Freeman needs to go to the portal no matter what.  But it should be for a quality experienced backup type, not a starter.  Unless of course a Caleb Williams type wants to come here.  

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Copying this from another thread I replied in but it fits this conversation too..

I stand by my earlier opinions that Freeman needs to go to the portal no matter what.  But it should be for a quality experienced backup type, not a starter.  Unless of course a Caleb Williams type wants to come here.  

That's part of the rub.  Since we pigeon hole ourselves to taking grad transfers, any QB who is really good will be looking at getting drafted.  Hartman wanted to prove he wasn't a system QB as one of his reasons for coming and improve his draft chances.

I don't like our chances to add anyone of value at QB going forward.  We had Coan and Hartman, albeit for two different coaches, but same results that neither has moved the needle much for their career and going pro.  Until we change something with our O and QB tutelage, it's going to be hard to get elite QB's.  Carr and Deuce aren't elite for the record, I want to see what they will do in college first.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, jessemoore97 said:

That's part of the rub.  Since we pigeon hole ourselves to taking grad transfers, any QB who is really good will be looking at getting drafted.  Hartman wanted to prove he wasn't a system QB as one of his reasons for coming and improve his draft chances.

I don't like our chances to add anyone of value at QB going forward.  We had Coan and Hartman, albeit for two different coaches, but same results that neither has moved the needle much for their career and going pro.  Until we change something with our O and QB tutelage, it's going to be hard to get elite QB's.  Carr and Deuce aren't elite for the record, I want to see what they will do in college first.

That's why I don't want anyone of real value that is looking to increase their draft stock.  I would prefer someone who just wants to get their degree and has no problem doing so as a backup in case shit hits the fan.  We have dudes coming in at QB.  The program needs to eventually start trusting those kids to play.  The cycle has to start somewhere.  If its not now, the program will be stuck playing this game at QB until it does.

• Heart 2

So, let me get this straight. There are actually people out there that expect Freeman to make the playoff next year, but want to tell him he can’t go out and get the best qb possible for his team? Instead he has to do it with 1 of 2 completely unproven qbs all while his job and credibility are on the line? That’s pretty rich.

• Laughing Leprechaun 2

32 minutes ago, nremdn said:

So, let me get this straight. There are actually people out there that expect Freeman to make the playoff next year, but want to tell him he can’t go out and get the best qb possible for his team? Instead he has to do it with 1 of 2 completely unproven qbs all while his job and credibility are on the line? That’s pretty rich.

If you want to debate a point then quote the person you want to debate.  Just to put context into my reasoning, since it seems its my opinion that you think is "rich", but have you seen ND's schedule for next season?  Aside from A&M to open the season, USC to close the season, and Florida State sprinkled in the middle its a very manageable schedule.  Next season starts the 12 team CFP.  ND has to be top 11 to make it since #12 will go to the highest ranked Group of Five school.  Just curious though, you do realize that most programs eventually have to resort to an unproven player once the starter graduates.  That's typically how college football has always worked.  I know it doesn't have to be that way anymore due to the portal but its going to be a hard cycle to break if it becomes something ND resorts to doing every year.  Its been almost a decade since the ND QB room will have as much talent as it will have next season.  You have to develop you're own talent if you ever have hopes of continuing to recruit said talent.  Do you think that ND can just get by every season hoping to find a stud QB in the portal to fill in for one season?  That's pretty rich...

• Heart 1
  • Flames 2

51 minutes ago, 4thand1 said:

So obvious that there are bigger problems than who the QB is next year.

You're right, there are bigger problems.  And there are threads for those problems too.  If you can't find one then feel free to create one.  There is nothing wrong with more conversations.  However, the starting QB next year is a potential problem worth discussing.  And that is what we are all doing here.

• Flames 1