Should ND Bring In a Transfer Portal QB?

I think most (if not all) of us are pleased with results of Sam Hartman to this point. I know the season isn’t over but he has been a stable and experienced addition to the most critical position on the offense. If the rest of the season plays out with these same outcomes, does (should) we look for the same in the transfer portal for next year or stick with Angeli, Minchey and Carr and trust in our recruiting and coaching? I guess it really depends on who’s out there? Curious to see your thoughts. I would like to think we have faith in the recruiting and coaching but Parker is also a huge “?” at this point as well.

8 minutes ago, VCDomer said:

I think most (if not all) of us are pleased with results of Sam Hartman to this point. I know the season isn’t over but he has been a stable and experienced addition to the most critical position on the offense. If the rest of the season plays out with these same outcomes, does (should) we look for the same in the transfer portal for next year or stick with Angeli, Minchey and Carr and trust in our recruiting and coaching? I guess it really depends on who’s out there? Curious to see your thoughts. I would like to think we have faith in the recruiting and coaching but Parker is also a huge “?” at this point as well.

i'm always looking at all options. I won't commit to an answer until I see the market

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

Kind of with Faith on this one.  I'll wait and see who is on the market, especially with coaching changes.  For instance Elko will be a hot commodity post season, especially if they win tonight against FSU.  I don't know if Riley sticks around because I don't see Duke getting another hot up and Comer.

I want to see us actually develop the talent we have for once rather than keep hitting the one and done route.  If other schools can develop QBs maybe we need to bring in those coaches because are haven't exactly done much for improving QBs for years with our staff.  Are we ever going to know what we got with the coaches and players we have recruited?

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, jessemoore97 said:

Kind of with Faith on this one.  I'll wait and see who is on the market, especially with coaching changes.  For instance Elko will be a hot commodity post season, especially if they win tonight against FSU.  I don't know if Riley sticks around because I don't see Duke getting another hot up and Comer.

I want to see us actually develop the talent we have for once rather than keep hitting the one and done route.  If other schools can develop QBs maybe we need to bring in those coaches because are haven't exactly done much for improving QBs for years with our staff.  Are we ever going to know what we got with the coaches and players we have recruited?

I agree with developing our talent. But I am highly questionable with Parker at OC. Hartman came with experience and developed skills. Can Parker do that with the trio we have after Sam? Not sure. Don’t want to go thru the turnstile every year either but until I know we can recruit and develop QBs (pro style) maybe I would be in the market.

2 hours ago, jessemoore97 said:

Btw. I think Riley is marginal at best. He couldn’t hit the ocean from a boat. It’s D in Duke.  

1 hour ago, VCDomer said:

Btw. I think Riley is marginal at best. He couldn’t hit the ocean from a boat. It’s D in Duke.  

I like him for the competitor and athlete aspect.  You're correct that he's not a gunslinger with accuracy.  He's a big body compared to the small guys we seem to put out there in recent years.  He looked servicable tonight on a bum ankle against a good FSU defense, and when he went down Duke lost all their hope for a win. 

I was noting him as an example who I could see going elsewhere if Elko bolts.

I think we're getting into slippery slopes after this year.  The last two years it was needed (even though we didn't last year).

With Carr coming in and Knight after, I get worried about the message of bringing one in next year.  Unfortunately, after we see Carr in the spring, it probably would be too late to get any top notch transfer.

The flip side, is you shoot for the moon and then just don't care about the impact it has on your roster or future recruits as long as you win now.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

If the backup QBs aren't performing well in practice, that's all the reason you need to go to the portal.  Fairly certain the coaches would prefer to elevate one of the QBs on the roster but it has to be earned.  

The schedule softens a little now and I'm hoping there's a blowout or 3 along the way that will allow Angeli and/or Minchey to get game time.  

I would not answer this question now.  How are the current QBs progressing throughout the remainder of the season and who is in the portal?

The passing game results game in game out are far more important than who the QB is.  If the passing game is dynamic, QB recruits will jump on board.  Got a ways to go before that's the case from what we have seen lately.  The result of the USC game was great but we would be kidding ourselves if we think the passing game is anything close to dynamic right now and that's with a preseason Hesiman candidate.  The ND OC job is not an OJT position.  Do well, or move along.

• Cheers 1

I'm in the wait and see group on this. Right now, only if there is a 'slam dunk' type QB willing to come to ND would I be for it. A fair to middling prospect, not so much.

I think Carr is going to be the man when he gets on campus.

• Heart 1

I would say no at this point simply because I do not see a quality QB entering the portal this year. The SMU QB doesnt interest me, ND would be better off just building what they have.

If a very good QB enters the portal, I would think about it.

At some point, ND has to develop their own QBs to sustain success:

- I do not think Angeli will ever be the start at ND unless the starter gets hurt halfway through the season.

- I think Minchey has potential to be a quality starter, but definitely not guaranteed.

- Carr has a very high floor, but may not be ready as a true freshmen. I think he could lead us to 8-9 victories next year, but would struggle against quality teams.

Edited by NDhoosier
  • Heart 1
  • Cheers 3

57 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

I would say no at this point simply because I do not see a quality QB entering the portal this year. The SMU QB doesnt interest me, ND would be better off just building what they have.

If a very good QB enters the portal, I would think about it.

At some point, ND has to develop their own QBs to sustain success:

- I do not think Angeli will ever be the start at ND unless the starter gets hurt halfway through the season.

- I think Minchey has potential to be a quality starter, but definitely not guaranteed.

- Carr has a very high floor, but may not be ready as a true freshmen. I think he could lead us to 8-9 victories next year, but would struggle against quality teams.

I think you take a transfer for the very reasons you laid out

Lets say Angeli transfers, Minchey gets hurt... then you are stuck with a freshman... more talent the better

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Synoptico said:

I think you take a transfer for the very reasons you laid out

Lets say Angeli transfers, Minchey gets hurt... then you are stuck with a freshman... more talent the better

Maybe, but I am not taking a QB just to take a body. I think teams who constantly get QB transfers may have issues getting QBs to sign with them in the future out of high school. I would still only take an elite QB from the portal; similar to Hartman's projection or better.

• Heart 2