New offensive coordinator?

3 hours ago, EddieAngel said:

1. The Rock

2. Tom Cruise

3. Tony Rice

In all seriousness, I think Freeman can make a splashy hire in the minority world. Showing a commitment to increase diversity at the highest ranks of football is a big thing, it may tip a guy like Keeley who is an ND guy all things told towards ND as opposed to Bama. 

Pep Hamilton is an intriguing idea.

Don't GAF who the hire is/what color the skin is so long as he has experience as a standalone coordinator and is a good QB coach.

An article I read made a good case for former Colts HC: Caldwell and OC: Pep Hamilton. That would solve the minority hire but if they could talk Joe Brady back to college for a few years I think it would be worth it. 

Meritocracy first and only. No AA please. Our citizen facing aspect of the federal govt is all AA and look at those clowns.. 

Edited by JTennant

2 hours ago, Jersey Irish said:

Josh Gatiis was let go by Miami one year after winning the Broyles award as OC of the Skunkbears. Most certainly worth a look-see,

I like the idea of Gattis.  He likes fast players in space, so some of our recruitsike Love and little Caleb Smith fit that bill

10 hours ago, Jersey Irish said:

Josh Gatiis was let go by Miami one year after winning the Broyles award as OC of the Skunkbears. Most certainly worth a look-see,

I don't know what to think of Josh Gattis. He had the Michigan O humming under Harbaugh, but then it seemed they had a bad break-up. He jumps ship to Miami and gets canned in a year. (And Michigan makes it back to the playoffs without him!) So, is he the heralded OC folks were raving about when he went to Miami, or is he the 1 year bust???

• Cheers 1

I would be very careful about hiring a candidate from the pros or with clear NFL aspirations.  That would put ND right back to where they were having an OC that doesn't get after recruiting and has one eye on getting back to the NFL.

Wouldn't necessarily rule them out but they would have to convince me that they want to recruit. 

Speaking of recruiting, I would ask the OC to only be responsible for recruiting QBs.  By limiting the scope of recruiting responsibilities I will in turn be demanding that he gets a top 10 (that is subjective) QB recruit every year and top 5 every few years. All I need from the new OC is a good system and ability to recruit top QBs. The rest will take care of itself or by Freeman and the positional coaches.  

• Heart 1

I’ll say this. I hope they go with a guy who wants to run and isn’t opposed of lining up under the center. Our running back room is full and ready to roll. I’d hate for it to be wasted on spread option where the running back runs lateral instead of downhill like in the BK days. Drives me mad. 

• Heart 2

54 minutes ago, coltssb said:

I’ll say this. I hope they go with a guy who wants to run and isn’t opposed of lining up under the center. Our running back room is full and ready to roll. I’d hate for it to be wasted on spread option where the running back runs lateral instead of downhill like in the BK days. Drives me mad. 

It all depends on the personnel. Notre Dame ran the ball so well in 2017, primarily because Wimbush always held that linebacker or end for a split second with the threat of him running. ND has ran the ball pretty well the last decade plus, but you could argue we had our most success in the spread with a mobile qb. 

I’m all for a good mix of under centre and shotgun. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, 4thand1 said:

I would be very careful about hiring a candidate from the pros or with clear NFL aspirations.  That would put ND right back to where they were having an OC that doesn't get after recruiting and has one eye on getting back to the NFL.

Wouldn't necessarily rule them out but they would have to convince me that they want to recruit. 

Speaking of recruiting, I would ask the OC to only be responsible for recruiting QBs.  By limiting the scope of recruiting responsibilities I will in turn be demanding that he gets a top 10 (that is subjective) QB recruit every year and top 5 every few years. All I need from the new OC is a good system and ability to recruit top QBs. The rest will take care of itself or by Freeman and the positional coaches.  

Excellent point, OL, RB, & WR coaches are proven recruiters - FOCUS!

Just listened to an OC candidate podcast. 

My ranking of interest would be;

1. Ludwig.  Not going to list all of the positives but they are clear if you look into his career.

2. Moorehead.  Same as above.

3. J. Brady. I'm not convinced he wants to be in CFB. Even if he was interested in the job, I would have to be convinced that he is going to recruit. Can he have success when he doesn't have a Burrow, Jefferson and Chase on his team???

• Heart 2