New offensive coordinator?

Yeah Klein has been all the rage the last day or so with ND talking heads. Wish I was more familiar with him as a play caller, but seems to be well though of in cfb.

Newest reports basically put it down to 3 guys, Klein, Sean Lewis, and Andy Ludwig

https://fightingirishwire.usatoday.com/lists/notre-dame-nd-offensive-coordinator-news-irish-oc-sean-lewis-andy-ludwig-collin-klein-cfb/

48 minutes ago, mcgov12 said:

Yeah Klein has been all the rage the last day or so with ND talking heads. Wish I was more familiar with him as a play caller, but seems to be well though of in cfb.

Newest reports basically put it down to 3 guys, Klein, Sean Lewis, and Andy Ludwig

https://fightingirishwire.usatoday.com/lists/notre-dame-nd-offensive-coordinator-news-irish-oc-sean-lewis-andy-ludwig-collin-klein-cfb/

I watched KSU several times this season, it is an attractive offense, but the dude only has one year as an OC . I would be cautiously optimistic, with a side of concern.

Edited by cali_domer
  • Cheers 1

Klein is interesting - I feel like we'd be hiring his potential, more than anything. He's only been an OC for 1 year, so there's a lot of risk there, especially considering how young and inexperienced our staff is. ND is a tough spot to learn on the job, but he certainly has a lot of attention in CFB with what he did at KState last year. Klein is my least favorite option, but I'm sure that ND/Freeman know better than I do. 

Ludwig is the opposite of Klein - much older and experienced. I feel like you know what you get with him. Though he has a few small pockets of failure, most of his experience has shown a lot of success on the offense. His balanced offensive style and ability to generate a great running game seems like a good match for ND. My biggest concern with him is that he does not have a reputation as a top recruiter. 

Sean Lewis is known for his fast-tempo offenses. I believe he had the fastest temp in CFB this year? I love the concept of a fast-tempo, but it becomes a hot mess if your offense goes 3 and out. It would be fun to stick it to Deion. I also love that Lewis has been a head coach the past few years. 

• Heart 2

Ludwig would be nice.  I really like that he has consistently shown the ability to adjust to players and strengths rather than shoehorning a set scheme that doesn't mesh with what you have.

Not sure about Lewis.  That stats jump out at you for sure.  Up tempo can be very effective, but smashmouth clock eating drives that wear down D are great too.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, jessemoore97 said:

Ludwig would be nice.  I really like that he has consistently shown the ability to adjust to players and strengths rather than shoehorning a set scheme that doesn't mesh with what you have.

Not sure about Lewis.  That stats jump out at you for sure.  Up tempo can be very effective, but smashmouth clock eating drives that wear down D are great too.

I'd agree with that assessment. Ludwig is solid and would be a home run hire. Look what he has done at Utah with 3-stars. He has  Pac-12 conference titles back-to-back and beat USC twice in one year! Sign me up for this dude!

• Trophy 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Leprechaun 1

4 hours ago, 97domer said:

Ludwig is the opposite of Klein - much older and experienced. I feel like you know what you get with him. Though he has a few small pockets of failure, most of his experience has shown a lot of success on the offense. His balanced offensive style and ability to generate a great running game seems like a good match for ND. My biggest concern with him is that he does not have a reputation as a top recruiter. 

There could be a mystery candidate or 2 that we don't know about (and it has been hinted that there is), but of all the candidates mentioned, Ludwig is tops for me, all things considered.  And I'm actually not too concerned with the recruiting thing...especially not knowing why he has that rep.  Maybe he hasn't been challenged to raise the bar with that (Freeman sure WOULD do that.) Or maybe he hasn't been asked to be heavily involved in that. Now if it's because he doesn't want to put in the work & grind, that would be a problem.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, D Fence said:

My question mark with Ludwig is how good of a passing game he can drum up.  It is hard for me to project how he'd do with someone like Hartman vs what he did with Cam Rising.  In fairness, I only saw 2 Utes games this year.

He’s had fantastic balanced offenses wherever he’s been. 
Very high efficiency from the qb, too 10 in yards per attempt this past year so it’s not just dink and dunk (really great fit for Hartman too). 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, mcgov12 said:

He’s had fantastic balanced offenses wherever he’s been. 
Very high efficiency from the qb, too 10 in yards per attempt this past year so it’s not just dink and dunk (really great fit for Hartman too). 

Correct.  He has lots of experience and that's huge in my book.  He's worked under some good HC too.  He is as solid a OC as we could want that should mesh with Freeman's vision for the offense hopefully.  I really like Utah's offense, its not gimmicky, they come out looking to kick your ass for 4 quarters plain and simple.  

• Heart 3
  • Trophy 1