New offensive coordinator?

Seem like Leftwich might be a fit in some ways.  I heard some NFL job chatter, and I'll bet he's trying to get out of Tampa before it gets ugly.  The OC role would be a good resume build for him, and he's high profile for the recruiting side.

But can he develop this offense?

4 minutes ago, JeffV said:

Seem like Leftwich might be a fit in some ways.  I heard some NFL job chatter, and I'll bet he's trying to get out of Tampa before it gets ugly.  The OC role would be a good resume build for him, and he's high profile for the recruiting side.

He’s already out in Tampa.

Thats a big name and a hell of a development. That’s immediate name recognition, immediate reputation. In the interest of clarity, no sure how that translates to running a college offense, but that can’t hurt in bringing in some big dogs on that side of the ball.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, JeffV said:

Never, ever coached in college, There is a night and day difference between going from NFL to college than vice-versa. He has never recruited. Had no need to coach up Tom Brady, duh.  Ears perk up at his name, but this is not a good fit for ND  in so many ways and would bet my bottom dollar he is not Freeman's choice

• Heart 3

I would be really skeptical about Leftwich. Is an Arians prodigy and by most accounts runs a complex offensive system. If I were Freeman I would have to ask him does he honestly prefer to be in CFB and why?  Will you fully embrace recruiting and can you scale down your offense enough to allow the occasional 1st or 2nd year player to grasp it?  This move would be too much like Rees for me.  Rees has had his eye on the NFL and couldn't get young players on the field if talent warranted it.  I would think the Golden/NFL talk would cause Freeman to steer clear of that path.  

I will say this about Leftwich.  He was a good college QB.  He played in the league for ten years and coaçhed there the past 6 years.  He won a SB as a player and as a coach.  That's a pretty strong resume compared to a couple recent OCs we've had.

He hasn't coached at the college level nor recruited before.  That's a big unknown.  This is where Freeman and Leftwich sit down to discuss things and see if BL could fit with MF vision and needs for an OC.

There's nothing that stands out to me as a big "no" for consideration.

• Heart 2

Sources expect Philadelphia Eagles QB coach, Brian Johnson, to travel to South Bend next week following the Super Bowl to interview with Marcus Freeman for Notre Dame’s vacant Offensive Coordinator position.

now this would be a home run hire and far, far better than Leftwich.  He killed it as OC at Florida
  • Heart 2

Ton of names out there right now so I don't have a favorite but a short term NFL guy makes sense. He would not need to change overall the scheme very much. So I like to hear names like Brian Johnson and Leftwich. I say short term because they both would make their way back to the NFL at some point. If Buchner's the QB the offense is going to be the RPO.

If Freeman  goes through with interviewing NFL guys next week, I think we can read a little into what he wants the recruits to view the ND QB position to be a road to the NFL. Brian Johnson might be the best of both worlds given he currently coaches Jalen hurts who can run the RPO's too. 

Hartman came to get ready for the NFL. So I wouldn't really like a RPO only offense

I'm not too interested in another quick moving college coach that would go as soon as the high end SEC schools called

11 hours ago, Jersey Irish said:

Sources expect Philadelphia Eagles QB coach, Brian Johnson, to travel to South Bend next week following the Super Bowl to interview with Marcus Freeman for Notre Dame’s vacant Offensive Coordinator position.

now this would be a home run hire and far, far better than Leftwich.  He killed it as OC at Florida

Brian Johnson would be a grand slam of a hire. His Florida offenses were ridiculously good. 

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, mcgov12 said:

Brian Johnson would be a grand slam of a hire. His Florida offenses were ridiculously good. 

Unfortunately there are at least 6 open OC positions so it may be tough to pull Johnson out of the NFL. But it is promising that he might travel to South Bend for an interview.

14 hours ago, jessemoore97 said:

I will say this about Leftwich.  He was a good college QB.  He played in the league for ten years and coaçhed there the past 6 years.  He won a SB as a player and as a coach.  That's a pretty strong resume compared to a couple recent OCs we've had.

He hasn't coached at the college level nor recruited before.  That's a big unknown.  This is where Freeman and Leftwich sit down to discuss things and see if BL could fit with MF vision and needs for an OC.

There's nothing that stands out to me as a big "no" for consideration.

I live in Tampa and I watched all the Bucs games. Hard pass on Leftwich. He was terrible. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, mcgov12 said:

Yup. This would have every appearance of a top notch hire and would create legit momentum for us to build off of. Hard to judge his recruiting at Florida and they inexplicably underutilized Dameon Pierce, but they did a lot of other things right. And, flipping Hurts from a borderline bust into an MVP candidate cannot be dismissed. This is the first name I've heard that grabs my attention.

• Heart 3

Quite a number of interesting potential candidates out there. Marcus did pretty well bringing in new coaches last year - Golden, Harry, Chansi, the ST coach (forget his name at the moment), so I have faith he will continue the trend.

Regarding Leftwich, he was thought of as a likely HC prospect until this season’s underperformance. The big question for me has always been have these OC’s (Leftwich, Josh McDaniels, Charlie Weis) been that good or have they just had the extreme good fortune to have Tom Brady as their QB?

7 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Unfortunately there are at least 6 open OC positions so it may be tough to pull Johnson out of the NFL. But it is promising that he might travel to South Bend for an interview.

This makes me think of Driskel's comment about names we hear are likely generated by the candidate's camp.  Yes, rumors out there he's flying to SB can bump his name up there for the other NFL OC openings

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, D Fence said:

This makes me think of Driskel's comment about names we hear are likely generated by the candidate's camp.  Yes, rumors out there he's flying to SB can bump his name up there for the other NFL OC openings

Right, just like all those NFL teams were interested in BK and Jack fell for it hook, line, and sinker offering extended contracts and higher pay.

Create the perception you are in demand, real or not, and leverage it to your benefit.  You may be right.

Edited by jessemoore97
  • Heart 1

23 hours ago, 4thand1 said:

According to sources Leftwich wants to stay in the NFL but Freeman picked his brain about other candidates.  Johnson is interviewing for NFL OC jobs and also not likely to choose a college opportunity. 

That’s odd.  All the reports I saw was that Leftwich reached out to Freeman.  As far as Johnson goes, last I read was that he has an interview scheduled after the Super Bowl.  I guess we shall see.

I believe more and more coaches are steering clear of the college game due to the transfer portal and NIL.  I hope ND doesn't allow themselves to be a stepping stone for coaches that prefer to be in the NFL.  If it were my choice I would likely favor career college coaches in their 50s that have done their job exploring already.  Someone that age might just want a little stability and nice compensation till they retire.  

• Heart 2
  • Cheers 1