Sun Bowl Opt Outs

Notre Dame

1. Sam Hartman- NOTE: Not a completely trusted source.

2. Marist Liafau

3. Blake Fisher

Oregon State

QB DJ Uiagalelei

QB Aiden Chiles

Linebacker Easton Mascarenas (led team with 107 tackles)

Defensive back Akili Arnold (fourth in tackles)

Defensive back Jermond McCoy (tied for team lead with 2 INTs and 7 PBUs)

Tight end Jack Velling (led team with 8 TD catches)

• Heart 1

A much more trusted insider basically confirmed the following will opt out:

Hartman, Alt, Fisher, Estime, JJB, Liafau, Hart, and maybe Bertrand.

I will say, JJB responded to a tweet about him sitting out with a "?" And I really would find it hard to believe a guy like Bertrand would sit out any game voluntarily. But the person who relayed this information is one of the most trusted beat writers out there and is rarely wrong on stuff like this.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, tneun89 said:

I will say, JJB responded to a tweet about him sitting out with a "?" And I really would find it hard to believe a guy like Bertrand would sit out any game voluntarily. But the person who relayed this information is one of the most trusted beat writers out there and is rarely wrong on stuff like this.

Tosh Baker and Aamil Wagner would be the likely starters at OT for the bowl game then?

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, reneg said:

Tosh Baker and Aamil Wagner would be the likely starters at OT for the bowl game then?

That would be my guess. A good tryout for next season, and probably would give ND a good idea of whether they need to get an OT in the portal.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Synoptico said:

Honestly, I am good with this. I have changed my view point on a bowl game from a celebration of the year, to a jump on the next year... extended spring practice. 

I’ve always said bowls are bs exhibitions unless you’re playing for the title.  Let the young guys get the experience going into the spring!  I’m excited.  It’s like the Blue Gold game, except against someone else.

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Leprechaun 1

5 hours ago, tneun89 said:

If Bertrand is going to the NFL draft (which seems to be the case), I wouldn't blame him for sitting out. The dude has given ND more than enough already. With the exception of Fisher, I expected all of those people to sit out in order to get ready for the draft and avoid injury. Fisher seems to be a head case at this point though.

• Heart 2
  • Flames 1

19 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

If Bertrand is going to the NFL draft (which seems to be the case), I wouldn't blame him for sitting out. The dude has given ND more than enough already. With the exception of Fisher, I expected all of those people to sit out in order to get ready for the draft and avoid injury. Fisher seems to be a head case at this point though.

No doubt. I should clarify, I don't hold any ill will towards him if he doesn't play (nor anyone else with millions of dollars on the line), I was just saying it would be surprising given his personality. He seems like a guy who loves ND and lives and breathes football. Just hard to imagine him voluntarily sitting out. But definitely understand if that's the advice he's getting from his agent.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, tneun89 said:

No doubt. I should clarify, I don't hold any ill will towards him if he doesn't play (nor anyone else with millions of dollars on the line), I was just saying it would be surprising given his personality. He seems like a guy who loves ND and lives and breathes football. Just hard to imagine him voluntarily sitting out. But definitely understand if that's the advice he's getting from his agent.

Bertrand is someone who can benefit from training for the combine between now and then. His tape is pretty extensive. One more game will not change anything but dropping a tenth of a second in the 40 might be worth seven figures 

• Flames 3