Outgoing Player Transfers (2023-24)

32 minutes ago, estimebicep said:

Its called knowing football and its easy to see the issue.

Hopefully, nd has some transfer wrs they know who are interested. Fingers crossed.

With the attrition in the WR room to this point, and some of the receivers I have seen enter the portal, I have zero doubt they will get at least two this offseason, and hopefully three! 🤞🏼

100% the issue is depth at WR now both for the bowl and for next season. Relying solely on the portal every year to have experienced WR is a crazy gamble right now but ND is going to be in that position it appears. 

FWIW, a quick and strong coaching hire could see a WR return. Speculating not a fact I know. The portal will be incredibly rapid though so it needs to be yesterday. 

Edited by Big23Head
  • Heart 2

I know Notre Dame will never do this but I think they should not go to a bowl game. Put out a statement that due to the transfer portal we cannot field a competitive team. Honestly we will go into the bowl game with just two Wr's? How can you compete? Maybe it sends a message to the NCAA. We face an LSU we will get smoked! By the way I do not see it as the sky is a falling scenario. We have three stud Wr's coming in next year to add with Greathouse. Then will will get another two to three Wr's via the portal. We will survive. However in a bowl game we will get crushed. 

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, GRIMREAPER1270 said:

I know Notre Dame will never do this but I think they should not go to a bowl game. Put out a statement that due to the transfer portal we cannot field a competitive team. Honestly we will go into the bowl game with just two Wr's? How can you compete? Maybe it sends a message to the NCAA. We face an LSU we will get smoked! By the way I do not see it as the sky is a falling scenario. We have three stud Wr's coming in next year to add with Greathouse. Then will will get another two to three Wr's via the portal. We will survive. However in a bowl game we will get crushed. 

Not sure that actually helps anything. In fact that would do more harm than good... no extra practices, no extra money

• Heart 2
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Synoptico said:

Not sure that actually helps anything. In fact that would do more harm than good... no extra practices, no extra money

Agreed! You do not decline a bowl game due to players entering the transfer portal. It would show they’re scared/worried, and that’s not what I want to see from Notre Dame football!

It would look so, so, so weak!

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

The amount of transfers out of ND is not abnormal compared to other schools; however, the losses to one position group (WR) seem abnormal. If you look at them, I believe only one of them (and it's the biggest one, Rico) was mostly due to Stuckey's firing. I think the writing was on the wall for Tyree and Merriweather. I had high hopes for Braylon James because he seems like an athletic freak, but it's been reported that he was very far behind everyone else in his class and that likely played a role in his departure.

I think everyone needs to take a breath and not freak out. This is not some indictment on Freeman (or Parker). Most schools will lose around 15-20 transfers, even the Alabama's, Georgia's, Ohio State's. It feels like a kick in the teeth right now because we're losing players and not gaining any. But ND is going to be major players in the portal. They've already showed their willingness to be aggressive in the portal and pony up serious NIL money. Last year, ND got Hartman because they were willing to pay him $1 million. That is not nothing. They also got difference makers in JJB and Thomas Harper, as well as another guy who a ton of schools wanted, Antonio Carter (who may or may not pan out at ND).

ND will be in on some very big names this cycle. They already have Riley Leonard at QB. Regardless of your take, he is one of the Top 3 QBs in the portal. There is no Justin Fields out there. ND got one of the best QBs available, and ND is ponying up serious money to get him. ND will likely get 2 very established WRs, along with 1-2 established DLs. This is the new normal for ND. They are recruiting HS kids at a high level, but to close the gap with the elite teams, ND needs to be very active in the portal. ND is getting grown men, and ND knows what they're getting. They are not gambling on some 18 year old, hoping he will match expectations. This is why I'm happy with ND's use of NIL - pay the established players. It worked well in 2023, and it should work well in 2024.

Everyone just needs to be a little patient. It sucks now, but once these transfers start rolling in, nobody will be complaining about the end of college football as we know it. This is the new normal. Get used to it.

Also, ND is not and should not sit out the bowl game. The 15 allotted bowl practices are essential for developing the younger players. ND will be short on depth at WR, but they have enough to compete against a team like LSU. The sky is not falling.

Thats what I am talking about!  Good stuff @tneun89

GO IRISH!

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

The amount of transfers out of ND is not abnormal compared to other schools; however, the losses to one position group (WR) seem abnormal. If you look at them, I believe only one of them (and it's the biggest one, Rico) was mostly due to Stuckey's firing. I think the writing was on the wall for Tyree and Merriweather. I had high hopes for Braylon James because he seems like an athletic freak, but it's been reported that he was very far behind everyone else in his class and that likely played a role in his departure.

I think everyone needs to take a breath and not freak out. This is not some indictment on Freeman (or Parker). Most schools will lose around 15-20 transfers, even the Alabama's, Georgia's, Ohio State's. It feels like a kick in the teeth right now because we're losing players and not gaining any. But ND is going to be major players in the portal. They've already showed their willingness to be aggressive in the portal and pony up serious NIL money. Last year, ND got Hartman because they were willing to pay him $1 million. That is not nothing. They also got difference makers in JJB and Thomas Harper, as well as another guy who a ton of schools wanted, Antonio Carter (who may or may not pan out at ND).

ND will be in on some very big names this cycle. They already have Riley Leonard at QB. Regardless of your take, he is one of the Top 3 QBs in the portal. There is no Justin Fields out there. ND got one of the best QBs available, and ND is ponying up serious money to get him. ND will likely get 2 very established WRs, along with 1-2 established DLs. This is the new normal for ND. They are recruiting HS kids at a high level, but to close the gap with the elite teams, ND needs to be very active in the portal. ND is getting grown men, and ND knows what they're getting. They are not gambling on some 18 year old, hoping he will match expectations. This is why I'm happy with ND's use of NIL - pay the established players. It worked well in 2023, and it should work well in 2024.

Everyone just needs to be a little patient. It sucks now, but once these transfers start rolling in, nobody will be complaining about the end of college football as we know it. This is the new normal. Get used to it.

Also, ND is not and should not sit out the bowl game. The 15 allotted bowl practices are essential for developing the younger players. ND will be short on depth at WR, but they have enough to compete against a team like LSU. The sky is not falling.

I would agree, but with the new landscape of college football and portal system, I think you will see more of this across the country when a position coach is let go. I think it is even a little different when the position coach goes somewhere else on their own (even then, they take some players with them quite often). 

I believe one of the exceptions to the sit out rule is if your position coach leaves. I do think it will happen much more around the country.

• Heart 1

Everyone said they had to make changes to compete.  Freeman dictates those changes for better or worse.  Results will judge him over fan opinions. 

A positional coaching change was his choice.  That situation and subsequent firing combined with the portal and, I expect to some degree NIL opportunities, made quite a storm this week.  It's the price of change.  And we still don't know if we'll be able to keep the rest of our coaches.

We bring in the best players we can, retain as many of the good ones as possible, elevate the University benefits, and ride the ride like every other program.  We'll do it again next year, but I think we'll have less portal needs (and a lot of young, experienced returning starters and players).

Crazy as it may get in the next few weeks, some things are out of their control.  I still trust the direction a great deal.

• Heart 3

24 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

This is not some indictment on Freeman (or Parker). 

Notre Dame was ranked # 110 out of 130 in team Pass Attempts in 2022 and ranked #100 -with Sam Hartman who threw an average of 167 more pass attempts the previous two years at Wake- in 2023.

I think the WR’s are concluding that Freeman’s offensive philosophy is a heavy run based, ball control offense and they are going elsewhere accordingly to catch more passes. I can’t say I blame them.

Perhaps they’re wrong and Freeman intends to open up his offense more in 2024 to more passing attempts. We’ll see. 

• Heart 2

A more dynamic offensive attack is certainly driving this coaching change.  I'll imagine they're acutely aware they need to get better at both WR and QB.  I'll take JT, Greathouse, and the '24 class to the playoffs!

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

39 minutes ago, Frankus said:

Notre Dame was ranked # 110 out of 130 in team Pass Attempts in 2022 and ranked #100 -with Sam Hartman who threw an average of 167 more pass attempts the previous two years at Wake- in 2023.

I think the WR’s are concluding that Freeman’s offensive philosophy is a heavy run based, ball control offense and they are going elsewhere accordingly to catch more passes. I can’t say I blame them.

Perhaps they’re wrong and Freeman intends to open up his offense more in 2024 to more passing attempts. We’ll see. 

I think ND had one of the Top 3 running backs in the country in Audric Estime and a very inexperienced, somewhat untalented WR corps, leading to a run-heavy offense. ND will always be more of a run-oriented team because of their ability to recruit OL, TE, and RB. But the coaches have to play with the hand they're dealt. ND had to have a running-based offense in 2022 because of Buchner and Pyne. I think they had to have a running-based offense this season, even with Hartman, because of Estime and the lack of WR talent.

Maybe all four WRs who are leaving will catch more balls. I certainly hope Tyree does because he proved himself to be a weapon in his first year at WR. But I would place a friendly wager that Rico does not exceed his reception or yardage total from this season with his new team. He was certainly a positive, but he was featured because he had to be, not because he was overly talented. I think James is very far away from seeing the field based on reports, at least at the P5 level. For Merriweather, if he had 200 yards or 1,000 yards, I would not be surprised. He is an enigma to me. 

If ND can land 2 high quality, experienced WRs to go along with Leonard, I think the offense will be more pass happy than the past two seasons, especially with Estime off to the NFL. But ND will always be a run-oriented team.

And, even though ND was ranked #100 in pass attempts, they were ranked #50 in passing yards per game. Also, Hartman ranked #18 in passing TDs and #17 in passing efficiency. So, it's a little disingenuous to bemoan the lack of passing attempts when the QB was in the Top 20 in TDs and efficiency. I agree that the passing game could have been featured more, but I think the personnel on the 2023 dictated the offense, as it should have.

• Flames 4