Post game: #15 Notre Dame @ Clemson(Loss 31-23)

3 minutes ago, nremdn said:

Do I think ND lost yesterday because of the refs? Absolutely not. They lost because they played like crap. What is hard to argue with is ZERO penalties. Pretty impressive accomplishment for a sloppy .500 team.

Deep down, I don’t either. But, it still makes you wonder.

Notre Dame, specifically Hartman, played like total trash! It was very, very bad on their part for sure!

10 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Agreed.

Except with this.  This dips into the fanfare conspiracy theories in my opinion.  I really don't think the commissioner of the ACC is telling his refs to screw ND in hopes to force them to join full time.  

Yeah, I know. But sometimes I do get a bit too off the rails. As I said, it still makes you wonder.

I have to throw my 2 cents in about the officiating.  There were 0 penalties called against a 4-4 team that has been decently penalized this year so far.   I read a stat that this is the first time since 1952 that they have had 0 penalties called on them in a game.

Did that cost us the game - no, but maybe some holding calls, etc, could have helped.

16 minutes ago, irishrush said:

I have to throw my 2 cents in about the officiating.  There were 0 penalties called against a 4-4 team that has been decently penalized this year so far.   I read a stat that this is the first time since 1952 that they have had 0 penalties called on them in a game.

Did that cost us the game - no, but maybe some holding calls, etc, could have helped.

EXACTLY

43 minutes ago, nremdn said:

Do I think ND lost yesterday because of the refs? Absolutely not. They lost because they played like crap. What is hard to argue with is ZERO penalties. Pretty impressive accomplishment for a sloppy .500 team.

17 minutes ago, irishrush said:

And to add to this nonsense, if I remember correctly, this happen against ND recently too.  I don't remember what game it was, I don't even remember how long ago it was.  But I remember sometime in the last few seasons it being made a big deal that one team didn't accrue a penalty.  I mean, shit, in all honesty it might not even have been an ND game lol.  I watch a lot more college football than I do NFL.  But the point remains, It just doesn't happen in football.  Everyone commits a penalty of some sort in just about every game.

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

EXACTLY

For what it’s worth ND is 123rd in the county for penalties called against opponents. If you took only road games, ND would be next to dead last in opponent penalties called per game. Dice that any way you want, but that’s an undeniable fact that ND’s opponents are called for less penalties than almost any other division 1 football school

• Flames 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, mcgov12 said:

For what it’s worth ND is 123rd in the county for penalties called against opponents. If you took only road games, ND would be next to dead last in opponent penalties called per game. Dice that any way you want, but that’s an undeniable fact that ND’s opponents are called for less penalties than almost any other division 1 football school

Quite Interesting Yes GIF by The QI Elves

• Heart 1

On 11/5/2023 at 12:14 PM, Baldy said:

I went back and saw what I had said. I guess I was thinking they could be great, but said they were great, but mostly trying to say they have not been coached to their full potential. This is what had me question Stuckey.

And that’s all I was trying to say.

But yes, whose it on? Parker, Stuckey, the tooth fairy? As you said, no one knows. But I agree, the players need to do more. I thought I saw the WRs get separation at times, mainly Faison, but Hartman missed them being open.

With that being said, I think we can put this to rest and just agree to disagree.

What we can agree on is we want to see everyone improve and become great coaches and players, so let’s hope for that! 🍻

For sure..there is plenty of blame for the stagnant offense to go around.  The QB hasn't lived up to billing when the opposition improved..the WR's have had issues...the line hasn't dominated for sure....and its all up to the OC to make it work. Above that..its up to the head coach to oversee it all.

I WISH it were just as simple as replacing the WR coach and/or the OC.  I'm afraid its more than that. 

• Flames 1

21 hours ago, mcgov12 said:

It sure matches what the eyes have been seeing all season.

• Heart 1

I have to defend Stuckey at the least in his recruiting.  These are freshmen leading us (besides Tyree).  Flores and Greathouse are Stuckey's guys.  Braylon James redshirting, but looks good.  He's bringing in Cam Williams (speed) and Micah Gilbert in January.  He's getting dudes.  We have talented young TE's, too, just injuries have hit hard.

I don't love our schemes, but not sure who's designing.  Virtually no long ball attempts.  Even our patterns don't draw safety help to the deep 3rds.  Both Clemson and Louisville, particularly, DARED us to go deep.  Single high or even straight man on outside.  So we don't have the guys with that speed or we don't have the arm strength or scheme??  I don't know, but we gotta fix it.  We'll still beat Wake and Stanford when they have 8 in the box, but you can't let Clemson (or even Louisville) limit your offense that much.  You gotta have an answer, and so far we don't.

The offensive weapons will be better next year, but they're still young.

Merriweather has stalled out.  Thomas has been injured / invisible.   Tyree could come back maybe??

I really think OC is the first thing to be addressed.  Parker needs help, or needs to go.  QB second.  I don't believe we'll go to the playoff next year with the QB's on the roster or incoming.  But the roster is trending right for a run in a couple years, IMO.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1
  • Cheers 1

There is absolutely no way Parker can comeback as OC. Right now the vultures are after Parker and rightfully so, as he is not qualified clearly. If brought back, the vultures will leave Parker and have a new target, Freeman. Again, rightfully so as no way parker can waste 3rd year of freeman. If similar results next year, the pressure to fire freeman will be there. ND needs to pony up for a real OC.

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1

11 minutes ago, estimebicep said:

There is absolutely no way Parker can comeback as OC. Right now the vultures are after Parker and rightfully so, as he is not qualified clearly. If brought back, the vultures will leave Parker and have a new target, Freeman. Again, rightfully so as no way parker can waste 3rd year of freeman. If similar results next year, the pressure to fire freeman will be there. ND needs to pony up for a real OC.

I hope they pony up to keep Golden on staff for another year or two as well.  It would suck to have to replace both coordinators going into a very important year.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

You're probably right.  And I get it.  Whatever they've installed and however they're calling these plays right now, it's still better than Rees.  It lacks polish and creativity, but has some good fundamentals.  Clemson is friggin' good!  If we'd have beaten Louisville - THAT is the indictment really!

So I guess I just wish they could get better and add the necessary wrinkles without giving up that continuity.  Great OC's aren't easy to find (or keep).

But I get it.  He probably has to go.  It's a tough business.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, JeffV said:

You're probably right.  And I get it.  Whatever they've installed and however they're calling these plays right now, it's still better than Rees.  It lacks polish and creativity, but has some good fundamentals.  Clemson is friggin' good!  If we'd have beaten Louisville - THAT is the indictment really!

So I guess I just wish they could get better and add the necessary wrinkles without giving up that continuity.  Great OC's aren't easy to find (or keep).

But I get it.  He probably has to go.  It's a tough business.

I think it is reasonable to point out that Clemson is better than their record reflects, if that is a real thing. I saw an ESPN chart earlier this week that showed how Clemson's efficiency stacks up against ND's other opponents, and I believe they were just behind OSU. They are a good team, better than ND it seems.

• Heart 1

23 minutes ago, EddieAngel said:

I think it is reasonable to point out that Clemson is better than their record reflects, if that is a real thing. I saw an ESPN chart earlier this week that showed how Clemson's efficiency stacks up against ND's other opponents, and I believe they were just behind OSU. They are a good team, better than ND it seems.

Which is exactly why I hated how so many people thought ND would walk all over Clemson.  Its a rare case of they're not what their record says they are.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, JeffV said:

I have to defend Stuckey at the least in his recruiting.  These are freshmen leading us (besides Tyree).  Flores and Greathouse are Stuckey's guys.  Braylon James redshirting, but looks good.  He's bringing in Cam Williams (speed) and Micah Gilbert in January.  He's getting dudes.  We have talented young TE's, too, just injuries have hit hard.

I don't love our schemes, but not sure who's designing.  Virtually no long ball attempts.  Even our patterns don't draw safety help to the deep 3rds.  Both Clemson and Louisville, particularly, DARED us to go deep.  Single high or even straight man on outside.  So we don't have the guys with that speed or we don't have the arm strength or scheme??  I don't know, but we gotta fix it.  We'll still beat Wake and Stanford when they have 8 in the box, but you can't let Clemson (or even Louisville) limit your offense that much.  You gotta have an answer, and so far we don't.

The offensive weapons will be better next year, but they're still young.

Merriweather has stalled out.  Thomas has been injured / invisible.   Tyree could come back maybe??

I really think OC is the first thing to be addressed.  Parker needs help, or needs to go.  QB second.  I don't believe we'll go to the playoff next year with the QB's on the roster or incoming.  But the roster is trending right for a run in a couple years, IMO.

I agree, so well said!