Tommy Rees hired as Alabama OC

Tommy’s star is shining brightly, good for him. Pretty sure he’ll be a HC somewhere in a few years.

I hope he stays, but if he doesn’t, I would think there is a pretty big pool of OCs that would jump at the ND opportunity. If I remember correctly, wasn’t the tight ends coach Parker an OC before he came to ND?

• Heart 1

Updates:

Apparently ND will match any offer:

https://fightingirishwire.usatoday.com/2023/02/02/tommy-rees-notre-dame-alabama-update/

Also, Rees has apparently been offered the OC job, but it would pay about what he’s making in South Bend ($2 million a year):

https://footballscoop.com/news/notre-dames-tommy-rees-reportedly-a-top-target-for-alabama-offensive-coordinator-job

56 minutes ago, Synoptico said:

Right now there are only a handful of places that ND would be a stepping stone to, probably Bama and UGA. He turned down LSU last year when it would be quite easy to follow BK. 

Agreed. If I am Tommy and everyone is offering the same money it is a tough competition between the love and ND and the opportunity to learn from one of the best college football coaches of all time. It is a tough sell to stay. 

Two things.  1.  This is Saban's 5th choice now.  Or something like this.  

2.  Why would anybody want to subject themselves to Saban's bitching.  He was close to going to the Rams last year.  He is already on the eyes of a few.  Going to Bama isn't going to open more eyes.  

But hey, it's whatever he wants.  Take the yelling and better athletes in hopes of getting the same job you would eventually get at ND.  Or stay at your alma mater and still get the job you were looking at but with less yelling and a little less talent.  Seems easy to me.  Especially if the money is the same.  

He is highly thought of in coaching circles.  I think he can be great.  Kind of depends on how flexible he can be with his system when he doesn't have the ideal players on offense or if he does have elite talent.  He has the knowledge but a little stubborn in my non-expert opinion.

3 hours ago, EddieAngel said:

Agreed. If I am Tommy and everyone is offering the same money it is a tough competition between the love and ND and the opportunity to learn from one of the best college football coaches of all time. It is a tough sell to stay. 

You are not hired by Saban to learn from him! You are hired to win National Championships for him, or else. OC's do not last long at Alabama; 2 years is average. Why? You ever see those sideline shots of Saban screaming into his headset? Who do you think is catching his crap? That's right the OC! And they can only take his crap for so long. At ND, Freeman lets Rees run the show on with no interference. It will take guts but he'd be wise to tell Saban "no thanks, I'll pass on the ulcer" and take that salary ND is willing to match and stay put.

1 hour ago, Jersey Irish said:

You are not hired by Saban to learn from him! You are hired to win National Championships for him, or else. OC's do not last long at Alabama; 2 years is average. Why? You ever see those sideline shots of Saban screaming into his headset? Who do you think is catching his crap? That's right the OC! And they can only take his crap for so long. At ND, Freeman lets Rees run the show on with no interference. It will take guts but he'd be wise to tell Saban "no thanks, I'll pass on the ulcer" and take that salary ND is willing to match and stay put.

It is certainly a move. When I was about 18 I worked for a construction company with a boss who was completely unhinged. I was late one time and when I apologized he screamed at my and threatened to shoot me in the face if I didn’t get out of his sight. I walked away and kept on working. It was a means to an end. I was making 20 dollars an hour and I tolerated a lot of public dressing downs. For 2 million I could tolerate a heck of a lot more. 

You don’t get better working for people who let you run the ship your way, at least I don’t. I like to work where I am challenged and learning from people who are better than I am. Tommy will never when an NC at Notre Dame. I say take the money and thanks for all you have done. Maybe the HC position will be open at ND in a few years and he can come back.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Big23Head said:

Right now there is buzz that Rees will leave for Bama. Definitely heading that direction, should be over shortly. 

When an alabama plane was on the south bend runway I knew it was over.  This wasnt an interview, it was a negotiation today.  

• Heart 1

It would be a good move for Tom, if he were offered, career wise.  It certainly helps to broaden his resume, under arguably the best college coach ever, and if he performs well will certainly spring board him into his own HC gig perhaps even at a P5 school.  

As we've all discussed before, Rees really needs to get out of BKs shadow and learn from others.  Who's better than Saban?  Someone who can pick apart offenses and help you realize the shortcoming and tendancies of your offensive system, while also educating you on more effective strategies to attack a defense.  Also you get to see the inner working of an elite program and what makes it work and use all that knowledge going forward.

• Heart 1

33 minutes ago, EddieAngel said:

It is certainly a move. When I was about 18 I worked for a construction company with a boss who was completely unhinged. I was late one time and when I apologized he screamed at my and threatened to shoot me in the face if I didn’t get out of his sight. I walked away and kept on working. It was a means to an end. I was making 20 dollars an hour and I tolerated a lot of public dressing downs. For 2 million I could tolerate a heck of a lot more. 

You don’t get better working for people who let you run the ship your way, at least I don’t. I like to work where I am challenged and learning from people who are better than I am. Tommy will never when an NC at Notre Dame. I say take the money and thanks for all you have done. Maybe the HC position will be open at ND in a few years and he can come back.

Tom dealt with Grimace just fine as a player and coach.  I agree that getting dressed down can be a builder for many people and Tom has shown he's been able to take it.  I don't think Saban is any worse than BK.  

1 hour ago, Jersey Irish said:

That may be the average of Saban's OC, but they've also used it as resume builders and rehab assignments to translate into their own HC gigs or better opportunities.  This would be a good step for his career.  Coaches from Saban are certainly in demand and will get you noticed in job searches.

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, coltssb said:

Two things.  1.  This is Saban's 5th choice now.  Or something like this.  

2.  Why would anybody want to subject themselves to Saban's bitching.  He was close to going to the Rams last year.  He is already on the eyes of a few.  Going to Bama isn't going to open more eyes.  

But hey, it's whatever he wants.  Take the yelling and better athletes in hopes of getting the same job you would eventually get at ND.  Or stay at your alma mater and still get the job you were looking at but with less yelling and a little less talent.  Seems easy to me.  Especially if the money is the same.  

Because while it is a hard job, you will learn a ton and set yourself up in the long run. 

• Heart 2

9 hours ago, Big23Head said:

Right now there is buzz that Rees will leave for Bama. Definitely heading that direction, should be over shortly. 

I've seen that Carr was made aware Rees may or may not be here when he arrives, but what about some of the other 2024 offensive commits/targets? Cam Williams, Jack Larsen and Aneyas Williams are big ones that come to mind. Rees was the secondary recruiter on all 3 and the primary recruiter for Carr.

Edited by reneg