Tommy Rees hired as Alabama OC

I don't know how to feel about it, depending on your viewpoint it could be an easy negative recruiting pitch against ND recruits. But it can also be spun as a positive. At the end of the day if Rees accepts the job and leaves his alma mater for what's essentially a lateral move position wise is a massive L.

Yes I understand that Bama is loaded and that may streamline his way to a HC gig, but that doesn't matter when it comes to how coaches can spin that to 15-18 year olds.

6 minutes ago, D Fence said:

Good thing we're past NSD for '23.  This would definitely risk Carr and others from the '24 class if he were to leave unless Freeman could land some heavy hitter who can quickly rebuild a relationship.

From what I understand Carr was made very clear and aware, and understood fully, that there was a high likelihood Rees isnt there when he gets to ND. Still, when it really happens I agree that there could be some ripples

6 minutes ago, TexasDomer said:

Bama OCs only last a year before landing a HC job somewhere decent 

Sarkisian and Kiffin certainly did.  But of course they had also already been head coaches at some pretty good programs.

Here's an article from 2021 listing the top 5 OC's under Saban at Alabama.   Would be interesting to see if Rees could bump someone from the list.  https://southboundanddown.com/2022/10/05/alabama-football-top-5-offensive-coordinators-nick-saban-era/

11 minutes ago, Rocketsan said:

This should put to rest the belief that Tommy doesn't have what it takes to be an OC

Agreed. It also stokes some conversation in a lot of circles if he leaves. How does ND keep talent? Why did Tommy accept a job with Bama and not a job that would have made him the highest paid OC in the NCAA at LSU?

ND is going to have to do something to be more than a stepping stone for coaches and recruits. 

1 hour ago, EddieAngel said:

Agreed. It also stokes some conversation in a lot of circles if he leaves. How does ND keep talent? Why did Tommy accept a job with Bama and not a job that would have made him the highest paid OC in the NCAA at LSU?

ND is going to have to do something to be more than a stepping stone for coaches and recruits. 

Right now there are only a handful of places that ND would be a stepping stone to, probably Bama and UGA. He turned down LSU last year when it would be quite easy to follow BK.