Tommy Rees hired as Alabama OC

1 hour ago, coltssb said:

I don’t think people are really thinking here. Maybe a Rees wants the job so he can stick it to Kelly every year?

Why would you think Rees hates BK? He played and worked for him. He had multiple opportunities to leave prior to BK leaving. 

25 minutes ago, Synoptico said:

Why would you think Rees hates BK? He played and worked for him. He had multiple opportunities to leave prior to BK leaving. 

Because he didn’t take the job to go when BK asked him and was willing to pay him more. Maybe not hate. But it’s always nice to stick it to your old boss. 

2 hours ago, cali_domer said:

Golden is being rumored to have a wandering eye. 

Heard as well. I don’t know that I would call it a wandering eye as much as depending on how the NFL coaching searches go, he is most likely on some lists to get back there. I never saw Golden as a long term d coordinator here…just my opinion, which is relatively worthless.

I’ve heard some rumblings that Leonhard from Wisconsin was on the list last year and gave ND a no. I wonder if he would get another call with saying he won’t be back at WI next year

45 minutes ago, mcgov12 said:

Heard as well. I don’t know that I would call it a wandering eye as much as depending on how the NFL coaching searches go, he is most likely on some lists to get back there. I never saw Golden as a long term d coordinator here…just my opinion, which is relatively worthless.

I’ve heard some rumblings that Leonhard from Wisconsin was on the list last year and gave ND a no. I wonder if he would get another call with saying he won’t be back at WI next year

That would be a great hire

4 hours ago, reneg said:

I've seen that Carr was made aware Rees may or may not be here when he arrives, but what about some of the other 2024 offensive commits/targets? Cam Williams, Jack Larsen and Aneyas Williams are big ones that come to mind. Rees was the secondary recruiter on all 3 and the primary recruiter for Carr.

I think by now every recruit understands a coach or whole staff may not be at a school by the time they arrive on campus.  

IF Rees or Golden leave, then Freeman will have to find replacements for them.  His job is to win.  Winning takes care of a lot with recruiting.

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, Jersey Irish said:

Why? You ever see those sideline shots of Saban screaming into his headset? Who do you think is catching his crap? That's right the OC! And they can only take his crap for so long. At ND, Freeman lets Rees run the show on with no interference. It will take guts but he'd be wise to tell Saban "no thanks, I'll pass on the ulcer" and take that salary ND is willing to match and stay put.

A coordinator at Rees' level has zero issues with getting reamed out. You don't make it to that level without being around people that are willing to hurt feelings if that's what it takes to succeed. 
He might enjoy having more latitude and it might be possible that Freeman gives him that, but he won't turn down Saban (or leave him early) because he got yelled at. 

• Heart 4

1 hour ago, mcgov12 said:

I think having to replace Rees (and potentially Golden) will put Freeman front and center with how he fills his staff. This will be huge for him

It then is truly all Freeman's team.  He either shows that he can win or fails.  I'm hopeful that he can succeed, including getting good replacements for any coach who leaves.  

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, InLikeFlynn said:

Looks like Rees took the Alabama job......

If you're looking for a silver lining, there can be no doubt that ND has graduated from being a "farm system for bottom dweller's of the Big 12" to "a farm system for the top of the SEC"
Bill Murray Reaction GIF

Edited by soulpatch
  • Laughing Leprechaun 3

1 minute ago, mcgov12 said:

Yup.

Sorry but any ND fan that thinks this is a lateral move is just looking through those shamrock glasses. I’m not upset he’s going, let’s find a great OC. But bama is a giant new step up and challenge for his coaching trajectory

Agreed.  You can't blame him at all.  I think someone mentioned this earlier, I think he coaches a year under Saban and gets a HC gig somewhere in 2024.  

• Heart 1

Is it too late for Hartman to ask to transfer elsewhere or stay at Wake?  Guessing since he’s enrolled he’s staying regardless but man just when one thought the O was going to be a strong point next season we are back to a huge question mark.

How many ‘24 O skill recruits bail now?

Glad the whining about Rees being a bad OC has ended at least.  On to some other excuse of why the O stinks.

Freeman needs to make a very strong hire and fast.  Only what a month till spring practice?

9 minutes ago, USAFA03_HUGENDFAN said:

Is it too late for Hartman to ask to transfer elsewhere or stay at Wake?  Guessing since he’s enrolled he’s staying regardless but man just when one thought the O was going to be a strong point next season we are back to a huge question mark.

How many ‘24 O skill recruits bail now?

Glad the whining about Rees being a bad OC has ended at least.  On to some other excuse of why the O stinks.

Freeman needs to make a very strong hire and fast.  Only what a month till spring practice?

I would guess that Freeman knew this was a possibility.  Hopefully he has a list of people already in mind and has been reaching out gauging interest.

• Heart 1

I would have been fine with either outcome of the Rees situation.  Frankly, he was going to be gone in the next 1 to 3 years regardless.  Might as well be now when ND isn't a legit championship contender for next season.  Might be some debate on that but I view best possible outcome for ND in '23 as a playoff berth and not anything more.  

On the other hand, it continuously stings for ND to lose recruits and coaches anytime one of the top 3 or 4 programs comes calling.  

• Heart 1