Tommy Rees hired as Alabama OC

Congrats to Tommy, he has been an ND man. He stuck with us after the mess with Kelly and helped to keep things from falling apart. I think that Freeman can do everything he needs to do to keep the class together. I always thought the dynamic was a little weird honestly, they gave Rees a raise to stay on before they hired Freeman as the HC. Now Freeman gets full run of the HC job, pick his own OC and everything. The fact that Tommy went to get experience under Saban shows he has a lot to learn and we can make a solid hire on someone who is more seasoned.

• Heart 3

8 minutes ago, 4thand1 said:

I would have been fine with either outcome of the Rees situation.  Frankly, he was going to be gone in the next 1 to 3 years regardless.  Might as well be now when ND isn't a legit championship contender for next season.  Might be some debate on that but I view best possible outcome for ND in '23 as a playoff berth and not anything more.  

On the other hand, it continuously stings for ND to lose recruits and coaches anytime one of the top 3 or 4 programs comes calling.  

Some thought he was gone last year. But you’re right, if he would have stayed he was for sure gone next year. Like you, I’m indifferent. I couldn’t care one way or the other. He wasn’t a great recruiter. He was still learning on the job. He called some good games and he called some terrible games. I’d love for ND to get someone with some experience so Freeman doesn’t have to babysit the next OC. 

• Heart 2

Saban is clearly an amazing coach.  New offensive and defensive coordinators about every 2 years.  Yet, he just wins.  He is the program; coordinators orbit around him and then spin off.

Can ND have a program like Saban has at Alabama and Smart has at Georgia?  No.  But, ND has things to offer that those places don't.   I don't mind losing Rees, and I have anticipated losing Golden.  Rees may have success at 'Bama.  I hope he does.   If he does, I would also credit Saban for much of the success, just due to how he manages to win regardless of who his coordinators are.   

I am certain there are OC's who are more creative and more consistent with game plans and game day management than Rees who are praying right now Rees goes to Alabama, and hoping that ND has them on their radar.  I personally look forward to it.

Rees is fine.  I'm happy if he stays, not sad if he leaves.  I've said all along my bigger concern is losing Golden.  Even with that, ND will find good replacement(s).

It's really a question of, is Freeman the guy?  Can he have the success at ND that everyone has hoped?  He's not Saban (yet).  The new hire(s) will make or break his coaching career at ND.

• Heart 2

50 minutes ago, AnTostal said:

Saban is clearly an amazing coach.  New offensive and defensive coordinators about every 2 years.  Yet, he just wins.  He is the program; coordinators orbit around him and then spin off.

Can ND have a program like Saban has at Alabama and Smart has at Georgia?  No.  But, ND has things to offer that those places don't.   I don't mind losing Rees, and I have anticipated losing Golden.  Rees may have success at 'Bama.  I hope he does.   If he does, I would also credit Saban for much of the success, just due to how he manages to win regardless of who his coordinators are.   

I am certain there are OC's who are more creative and more consistent with game plans and game day management than Rees who are praying right now Rees goes to Alabama, and hoping that ND has them on their radar.  I personally look forward to it.

Rees is fine.  I'm happy if he stays, not sad if he leaves.  I've said all along my bigger concern is losing Golden.  Even with that, ND will find good replacement(s).

It's really a question of, is Freeman the guy?  Can he have the success at ND that everyone has hoped?  He's not Saban (yet).  The new hire(s) will make or break his coaching career at ND.

Good summary of the situation.  We only ever had a couple years with Golden or Rees.  IMO, Freeman needs that dynamic offensive guy more than the DC, though.

• Heart 2

10 hours ago, Soko said:

I'm glad he's gone. This was going to be a perennial issue with this dope. Just cut the wart off, drive him to the airport and move him on.

It would have better if he just left with Kelly. ,

LOL yet the greatest football coach in college history just hand picked him...

I hope Tommy one day comes back to be our head coach.

10 minutes ago, Rocketsan said:

I'm not glad either but I can't do anything about it so my gut is its best for Freeman to have a staff that works for him, hired by him, etc.

24 minutes ago, Rocketsan said:

I don't.  I hope Freeman is here for a long time.  That would mean he would be doing a lot of winning.

• Cheers 2
  • Leprechaun 1

1 hour ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

I'm not glad either but I can't do anything about it so my gut is its best for Freeman to have a staff that works for him, hired by him, etc.

Hired by him is definitely key. If he promotes from within I am going to be disappointed. We need some new blood.

• Heart 2

Just now, EddieAngel said:

Hired by him is definitely key. If he promotes from within I am going to be disappointed. We need some new blood.

I don't think he'd just permote parker or Deland because neither have worked with Qbs. So my only Reference point is Al Golden. NFL Coach, College head coach. I think Freeman knows since he admittedly is a defensive coach he will need a play calling offensive coordinator.

• Heart 1

My read on Rees is that he wants to be on the fast track to the NFL.  Saying that because it seemed like he begrudgingly recruited and Ala has a very good track record of OCs that get promoted.  I just don't think he would leave ND if his goal was to be a college HC.  He could have accomplished that here. 

2 hours ago, 4thand1 said:

My read on Rees is that he wants to be on the fast track to the NFL.  Saying that because it seemed like he begrudgingly recruited and Ala has a very good track record of OCs that get promoted.  I just don't think he would leave ND if his goal was to be a college HC.  He could have accomplished that here. 

Rees had choice to stay one more year at ND or work with Saban at Alabama. Regards his future goal (college or NFL), it is too good of an opportunity for personal growth to turn down.

A tough choice for Rees. 

Get a big promotion, work for the coach with the most championships, upgrade facilities, upgrade players, upgrade weather, upgrade game day experience, upgrade competition level….

I’d make that choice too. 

I suspect Saban will challenge Tommy in ways that Freeman never did or would. He will succeed because he has too. 

Freeman will have a lot of great choices for replacement. He just has to be able to be an amazing head coach now. The Kelly era is gone gone gone. And good riddance, I say!

• Heart 3
  • Cheers 1

On 2/2/2023 at 1:07 PM, cali_domer said:

Cool, just make it quick.. So who would be the candidates to replace him? 

I thought the same thing when announced... 

On 2/2/2023 at 3:58 PM, Rocketsan said:

This should put to rest the belief that Tommy doesn't have what it takes to be an OC

Yup. Rumor was he had position coaching offers in the NFL too the last two years. 

The Rees complainers... just giggles right now. I don't know if he'll be great, or have a great career... but he has done well in a tough situation. 

On 2/2/2023 at 7:29 PM, coltssb said:

Two things.  1.  This is Saban's 5th choice now.  Or something like this.  

2.  Why would anybody want to subject themselves to Saban's bitching.  He was close to going to the Rams last year.  He is already on the eyes of a few.  Going to Bama isn't going to open more eyes.  

But hey, it's whatever he wants.  Take the yelling and better athletes in hopes of getting the same job you would eventually get at ND.  Or stay at your alma mater and still get the job you were looking at but with less yelling and a little less talent.  Seems easy to me.  Especially if the money is the same.  

This is lol.

People get in line to subject themselves to learn from Saban. Look at OCs, DCs, and position coaches over the years.

OCing at Bama, who is the #1 team of the last decade+, is better path than a HCing at a crap D1 team or even a NFL position coach job. 5th or 50th. Doesn't matter. Bama OC or DC is probably the best springboard in the nation. 

On 2/4/2023 at 6:19 PM, AnTostal said:

A tough choice for Rees. 

Get a big promotion, work for the coach with the most championships, upgrade facilities, upgrade players, upgrade weather, upgrade game day experience, upgrade competition level….

I’d make that choice too. 

I suspect Saban will challenge Tommy in ways that Freeman never did or would. He will succeed because he has too. 

Freeman will have a lot of great choices for replacement. He just has to be able to be an amazing head coach now. The Kelly era is gone gone gone. And good riddance, I say!

IMO...

• not a hard choice. If he was next in line for ND, then it would tough. But we have a young HC already.
  • Working for the best HC in CFB right now, perhaps best ever... 
  • Probably best springboard in the nation.. Succeed, and a nice D1 HC job, or even a NFL OC job... 
  • Probably the best chance to win a ring in the next 3 years...
  • Cruit'n is easier... funding is easier.... weather is better.... facilities are better... top 5 QBs most years... top 5 rank in 5 stars in most years... 

15 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I thought the same thing when announced... 

Yup. Rumor was he had position coaching offers in the NFL too the last two years. 

The Rees complainers... just giggles right now. I don't know if he'll be great, or have a great career... but he has done well in a tough situation. 

This is lol.

People get in line to subject themselves to learn from Saban. Look at OCs, DCs, and position coaches over the years.

OCing at Bama, who is the #1 team of the last decade+, is better path than a HCing at a crap D1 team or even a NFL position coach job. 5th or 50th. Doesn't matter. Bama OC or DC is probably the best springboard in the nation. 

This is lol….

getting in line…as I said. Rees was Saban’s fifth choice or something like that. Doesn’t sound like guys jumping in line to me.  He’ll, Saban even had to go back and recycle his old defensive coordinator because nobody wanted that shyt. 
As for those other coaches or coordinators I should say. Kiffin, O’Brien, Sark were reclamation projects. They were decent coaches but had serious problems. Not like Saban showed those guys anything. If anything, they showed Saban that the ground and pound isn’t the only way to win games. Yes, The NFL is more attractive now. Pay is equal at most places now both in college and in the NFL. All you have to do is wait your turn and you’ll probably get a desired job of your choosing.  Who wants to get bitched at by an old man who’s on the verge of either retiring or having a heart attack on sideline and you’re out of a job in either of those situations. Rees is taking a chance imo. Good for him. 
As for past coordinators as you brought up. Where are Jim McElwain, Major Applewhite, Kevin Steele, Jeremy Pruitt, Doug Nussmeier, Tosh Lupoi(known cheater) at?  Just because you served under Saban doesn’t mean straight head coaching experience and you’re going to be a legit coach like you are assuming. There’s more flame outs than winners in his tree of coordinators. So please stop. Rees has just as much of a chance to flame out at Bama under Saban as he did at ND. Saban doesn’t automatically equal success as much as your SEC homerism always try to suggest. 

On 2/11/2023 at 10:28 PM, OKelleyIrish said:

IMO...

• not a hard choice. If he was next in line for ND, then it would tough. But we have a young HC already.
  • Working for the best HC in CFB right now, perhaps best ever... 
  • Probably best springboard in the nation.. Succeed, and a nice D1 HC job, or even a NFL OC job... 
  • Probably the best chance to win a ring in the next 3 years...
  • Cruit'n is easier... funding is easier.... weather is better.... facilities are better... top 5 QBs most years... top 5 rank in 5 stars in most years... 

Of course!  It was a tongue-in-cheek comment. It wasn’t a tough choice at all, given all the upgrades I mentioned immediately below that comment. 

• Heart 1