Coaching Carousel

7 hours ago, ELDER06 said:

Rumors are Chip Kelly will be their top target. 

Yup, and if I were them, I'd make him a priority.

He finally has UCLA back in a bowl this year and first winning record since 2015 IIRC.

Not sure how well he's liked at UCLA, but IMO they better try to hang onto him given USC is likely about to get better. 

1 minute ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Yup, and if I were them, I'd make him a priority.

He finally has UCLA back in a bowl this year and first winning record since 2015 IIRC.

Not sure how well he's liked at UCLA, but IMO they better try to hang onto him given USC is likely about to get better. 

The issue with Chip Kelly is that he does not recruit well enough (he has never had a class in the Top 30 since coming to UCLA). That's really what it comes down to. He got away with relatively poor recruiting at Oregon because his offenses were so innovative (Oregon never had a Top 10 class despite Kelly going 46-7 in his four years). UCLA needs a guy who can recruit So Cal and get elite players to go there. Kelly is not that guy. He's lucky UCLA finished the season against Colorado, USC, and Cal - those three wins got him to 8-4 and probably saved his job.

32 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

The issue with Chip Kelly is that he does not recruit well enough (he has never had a class in the Top 30 since coming to UCLA). That's really what it comes down to. He got away with relatively poor recruiting at Oregon because his offenses were so innovative (Oregon never had a Top 10 class despite Kelly going 46-7 in his four years). UCLA needs a guy who can recruit So Cal and get elite players to go there. Kelly is not that guy. He's lucky UCLA finished the season against Colorado, USC, and Cal - those three wins got him to 8-4 and probably saved his job.

Chip had 3 straight top 15 classes at Oregon, and was way better than predecessors. Bellotti had some good years in his long tenure there, but he never had the consistency in winning or recruiting that Kelly had.

But I agree he's not done well recruiting at UCLA. But if we're being honest. Aside from a few decent years with Mora, UCLA hasn't been relevant in 20 or more years. 

If we're looking at the last 5 years of recruiting in the PAC, overall it's been way down in general. Cali kids are getting poached more than ever by other better conferences. 

And 13 of the top 25 kids in Cali left the state in this year's class. The ones that stayed, most to USC, only one to UCLA.

If I were him, I'd go back to Oregon where it's easier to recruit lol... By the way, Oregon got 4 of the top 25 kids from Cali this cycle. 

4 hours ago, coltssb said:

I’m ok if they throw a new uni out every other year. Or for the shamrock series. That’s all the shamrock series is anyways, a marketing tool for more money and to get kids interested. 

There’s a big difference bw new unis once a year and new unis every game.

59 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Chip had 3 straight top 15 classes at Oregon, and was way better than predecessors. Bellotti had some good years in his long tenure there, but he never had the consistency in winning or recruiting that Kelly had.

But I agree he's not done well recruiting at UCLA. But if we're being honest. Aside from a few decent years with Mora, UCLA hasn't been relevant in 20 or more years. 

If we're looking at the last 5 years of recruiting in the PAC, overall it's been way down in general. Cali kids are getting poached more than ever by other better conferences. 

And 13 of the top 25 kids in Cali left the state in this year's class. The ones that stayed, most to USC, only one to UCLA.

If I were him, I'd go back to Oregon where it's easier to recruit lol... By the way, Oregon got 4 of the top 25 kids from Cali this cycle. 

I meant more that he didn't have the energy or desire to parlay consistent, elite-level results on the field into recruiting success off of it. CK went to 4 BSC bowls in 4 years, including the National Championship in 2010. Yet, he never got a Top 10 class to Eugene. From 2019 to 2021 with Cristobal, Oregon had two Top 10 class and the other finished 11th. I don't think it's super easy to recruit to Oregon - they have some advantages, like the Nike connection - but it's not a school that sells itself without a great recruiter, like Cristobal. I doubt CK would get any Top 10 classes if he were to go back. 

UCLA has not been relevant since the 90s when they last won a Pac-12 (Pac-10) Championship. But they really should be a much better team based on their recruiting territory alone. I think we are going to see USC start churning out Top 5 classes with Lincoln Riley - already seeing it in the 2023 class. UCLA can compete by getting kids to stay home, but they need a dynamic recruiter to do that. CK is not that.

All of the elite California kids leaving the state to go elsewhere has really hurt the Pac-12 and college football in general. Just think about the following QBs and if they had stayed home to play for USC or UCLA: Bryce Young, C.J. Stroud, D.J. Uiagalelei... The Pac-12 needs the California kids to stay in the conference to have a chance to become relevant again. They need to start keeping these recruits home. And if those kids are staying home instead of going to schools that already get the best recruits, like Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson, then that is good for college football because it restores some balance.

7 hours ago, Blammm said:

I think this would be funny to have a Weis-Kansas type implosion at the school where Weis kicked 20 scholarship players off the team and never regained any momentum..

Look we all know Bayou Brian can coach and develop players, but if his personality rubs people the wrong way and he has to rely on some up and coming MAC and Mountain West position coaches to fill his staff, then bomb miserably he'd be out in a few years.

Just hoping and wishing.. Call me an asshole I don't care. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, JTennant said:

I think this would be funny to have a Weis-Kansas type implosion at the school where Weis kicked 20 scholarship players off the team and never regained any momentum..

Look we all know Bayou Brian can coach and develop players, but if his personality rubs people the wrong way and he has to rely on some up and coming MAC and Mountain West position coaches to fill his staff, then bomb miserably he'd be out in a few years.

I agree. I have no sympathy for how he left and I was a fan of Brian Kelly. I hope LSU falters these next few years.

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, tneun89 said:

I meant more that he didn't have the energy or desire to parlay consistent, elite-level results on the field into recruiting success off of it. CK went to 4 BSC bowls in 4 years, including the National Championship in 2010. Yet, he never got a Top 10 class to Eugene. From 2019 to 2021 with Cristobal, Oregon had two Top 10 class and the other finished 11th. I don't think it's super easy to recruit to Oregon - they have some advantages, like the Nike connection - but it's not a school that sells itself without a great recruiter, like Cristobal. I doubt CK would get any Top 10 classes if he were to go back. 

UCLA has not been relevant since the 90s when they last won a Pac-12 (Pac-10) Championship. But they really should be a much better team based on their recruiting territory alone. I think we are going to see USC start churning out Top 5 classes with Lincoln Riley - already seeing it in the 2023 class. UCLA can compete by getting kids to stay home, but they need a dynamic recruiter to do that. CK is not that.

All of the elite California kids leaving the state to go elsewhere has really hurt the Pac-12 and college football in general. Just think about the following QBs and if they had stayed home to play for USC or UCLA: Bryce Young, C.J. Stroud, D.J. Uiagalelei... The Pac-12 needs the California kids to stay in the conference to have a chance to become relevant again. They need to start keeping these recruits home. And if those kids are staying home instead of going to schools that already get the best recruits, like Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson, then that is good for college football because it restores some balance.

I think overall it's a lot easier to recruit in OR than people think. Folks don't realize the impact their facilities and Nike relationship has on kids. If you've never seen their facilities, check out one of the vids on youtube. They're easily top 3 in that space if not #1. They were #1 for a long time when Knight pimped things out for them. And keep in mind that facility really wasn't done until the year after Chip left... So Chip had 3 straight top 15 classes without the benefit of those new facilities. 

Not saying Chip is a good recruiter. A lot of HCs aren't. But if you're not, it's just vital to have a top notch recruiting coordinator and assistants who can. Nike is pretty much a built in recruiter for Oregon lol. 

UCLA has just not been dedicated to football for a long while. They had a few good years with Mora, but overall, not much. They need so much. Facilities upgrades would be a nice start. IIRC, not even top 25... USC's facilities aren't near what you'd expect either given the brand. USC is more relevant, and still a lot sexier to Cali kids than UCLA, so I'm sure LR will kill it his first two years on the recruiting trail.

Regardless, the best thing for ND is USC being good. Not saying I want to lose to them, or lose recruits to them, but they've been an anchor on our SoS lately. I do love seeing them lose though lol... 

1 hour ago, JTennant said:

Ya think Saban had a wonderful personality when he was at LSU? lol...

BK's demeanor won't mean anything as long as he wins. And he's likely got an open check book for assistants. Wouldn't doubt if the boosters and admin are spending a decent amount on search teams for the open positions. 

I think it's a bit funny to act like BK is going to end up with a bunch of low level guys. Did he want Freeman and Rees, of course. Who wouldn't. Freeman was the most in-demand DC last year. LSU wanted him back then. Rees is one of the popular up and comers and is well thought of. 

And then the narrative that nobody likes BK and wouldn't leave lol... Why would Freeman leave. He was an instant HC candidate and actually landed the job. And Tommy staying put him purely in control of the offense, which he didn't have when BK was here, or would if he followed BK. Staying put elevates his status, and likely guarantees him a HC offer somewhere if he does well next year. 

40 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Ya think Saban had a wonderful personality when he was at LSU? lol...

BK's demeanor won't mean anything as long as he wins. And he's likely got an open check book for assistants. Wouldn't doubt if the boosters and admin are spending a decent amount on search teams for the open positions. 

I think it's a bit funny to act like BK is going to end up with a bunch of low level guys. Did he want Freeman and Rees, of course. Who wouldn't. Freeman was the most in-demand DC last year. LSU wanted him back then. Rees is one of the popular up and comers and is well thought of. 

And then the narrative that nobody likes BK and wouldn't leave lol... Why would Freeman leave. He was an instant HC candidate and actually landed the job. And Tommy staying put him purely in control of the offense, which he didn't have when BK was here, or would if he followed BK. Staying put elevates his status, and likely guarantees him a HC offer somewhere if he does well next year. 

Right now Kelly looks a lot like the a**hole who dumped his girlfriend before Prom because he got a better date but then his date never showed up. Honestly, it is what it is. ND found a pretty good date and BK is going solo for the time being (Or, maybe he takes his cousin to Prom, kinda looking that way and that is pretty ok down south, he will probably fit in better). 

That said, I couldn't pile up good empirical data but I think it is fair to say that Saban's coaching tree has found greater success than Kelly's assistants. I couldn't find a great article. Back in 2015 BK and Saban were tied for 5th best active coaching tree but since then I don't know. It seems like Kelly's assistants have taken crappy jobs and done crappy with them (Molnar, Diaco) where Saban's assistants have gone on to do well, but then Saban is kind of like a JuCo program in that he takes former head coaches and makes them good head coaches (apologies to Sark who once sucked and will likely suck again). 

Still, without any data I feel safe saying that Kelly isn't fit to carry Saban's jock.

Edited by EddieAngel
  • Heart 1

10 minutes ago, EddieAngel said:

Right now Kelly looks a lot like the a**hole who dumped his girlfriend before Prom because he got a better date but then his date never showed up. Honestly, it is what it is. ND found a pretty good date and BK is going solo for the time being (Or, maybe he takes his cousin to Prom, kinda looking that way and that is pretty ok down south, he will probably fit in better). 

That said, I couldn't pile up good empirical data but I think it is fair to say that Saban's coaching tree has found greater success than Kelly's assistants. I couldn't find a great article. Back in 2015 BK and Saban were tied for 5th best active coaching tree but since then I don't know. It seems like Kelly's assistants have taken crappy jobs and done crappy with them (Molnar, Diaco) where Saban's assistants have gone on to do well, but then Saban is kind of like a JuCo program in that he takes former head coaches and makes them good head coaches (apologies to Sark who once sucked and will likely suck again). 

Still, without any data I feel safe saying that Kelly isn't fit to carry Saban's jock.

Who cares about coaching trees. Saban is older, and both have very very different trajectories/careers. Anyway, not sure why that's relevant at all to the topic. 

If the topic is LSU's future staff, we'll see I guess. 

As far as how he looks... I have a ton friends and family that are ND die hards, but have a ton of friends from other states that aren't ND fans. Only some ND fans are butthurt over it. Most outside of the ND sphere think Kelly to LSU is a good move. 

And like I said previously... If you want to be butthurt, or mad at someone/something, be mad at the admin. BK reportedly made $3Mish here. Now he's making 9M+ guaranteed, 10M if he makes any bowl, and a lot of other incentives. So why the fudge wouldn't a guy leave if someone offers them triple plus... And please, don't play the violin and talk about loyalty lol... It's a business, and it's life. 

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, ELDER06 said:

Just my opinion, I think the unis are cheap gimmicks. Have Bama’s unis changed at all in the last 60 years?  I think a clean, simple style is a better way to brand your program. Then again, I’m not in marketing.

Not a fan of the Ducks' flavor of the week uniforms but the constant change has become their brand along with their favored son relationship with Nike.

I think chip Kelly is a good choice and would bet $$ that he is competing for championships at Oregon before cristobal at Miami. 

the resources to win at Oregon are already in place. Miami is trying to figure out what that looks like so not a good time to break in a new coach who’s suppose to be your home run hire.. 

28 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Who cares about coaching trees. Saban is older, and both have very very different trajectories/careers. Anyway, not sure why that's relevant at all to the topic. 

If the topic is LSU's future staff, we'll see I guess. 

As far as how he looks... I have a ton friends and family that are ND die hards, but have a ton of friends from other states that aren't ND fans. Only some ND fans are butthurt over it. Most outside of the ND sphere think Kelly to LSU is a good move. 

And like I said previously... If you want to be butthurt, or mad at someone/something, be mad at the admin. BK reportedly made $3Mish here. Now he's making 9M+ guaranteed, 10M if he makes any bowl, and a lot of other incentives. So why the fudge wouldn't a guy leave if someone offers them triple plus... And please, don't play the violin and talk about loyalty lol... It's a business, and it's life. 

I think it is relevant. As an assistant do you want to go work for someone whose every assistant has gone on to fail in their next big role or do you want to work for the guy who is a tough boss but has a formula for success? I am interested to see who Kelly can get with the neverending wallet. My sense is that he is going to catch a lot more people on the way down than candidates heading up. 

• Heart 1
  • Flames 2
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Just a friendly reminder: Bayou Brian did not ask Savvy Jack to match. Bayou Brian already had his purple suit fitted and had traded his green tie for a yellow.  Oh, and this: Bayou Brian. That is all.

• Heart 3

28 minutes ago, JTennant said:

I think chip Kelly is a good choice and would bet $$ that he is competing for championships at Oregon before cristobal at Miami. 

the resources to win at Oregon are already in place. Miami is trying to figure out what that looks like so not a good time to break in a new coach who’s suppose to be your home run hire.. 

Pac12 is also easier to win in right than compared to the ACC. That may flip soon though, we shall see.

4 minutes ago, EddieAngel said:

I think it is relevant. As an assistant do you want to go work for someone whose every assistant has gone on to fail in their next big role or do you want to work for the guy who is a tough boss but has a formula for success? I am interested to see who Kelly can get with the neverending wallet. My sense is that he is going to catch a lot more people on the way down than candidates heading up. 

Come on man. Have you seen Saban's staff over the years. Unlimited checkbook. It's not like he's grooming all these guys. He gets x-NFL head coaches as coordinators and has x-coordinators as positions coaches lol... And he gets x-HCs as analysts.... He catches all those guys on the way down. 

Why do they go? The pay is great. The facilities are tops. They have a 50/50 shot each year of getting a NC ring, and it's a great stop over till your next HC job lol... 

You can't compare BK to that with a straight face. You can't really compare any other school to that. LSU is probably the closest right now in terms of schools that go all in like that. And it's another reason why LSU is attractive, because they're trying to keep up with Bama lol.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, zemaniak said:

Just a friendly reminder: Bayou Brian did not ask Savvy Jack to match. Bayou Brian already had his purple suit fitted and had traded his green tie for a yellow.  Oh, and this: Bayou Brian. That is all.

I'm guessing Bayou Brian knew SaVvY jAcK wasn't going to pay 10M+ a year. If Jack valued BK so much, he probably would have payed him more than 3ish M a year.... just saying... Hell, IIRC, BK had to cause a stink a few years ago just to get raises for the staff. He won't have to do that at LSU.. 

8 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I'm guessing Bayou Brian knew SaVvY jAcK wasn't going to pay 10M+ a year. If Jack valued BK so much, he probably would have payed him more than 3ish M a year.... just saying... Hell, IIRC, BK had to cause a stink a few years ago just to get raises for the staff. He won't have to do that at LSU.. 

Still could have asked. Unless he was afraid Jack would say yes.  Thus, he did not want to stay.

But I get it.. the cold, the town of South Bend, the long travel, the fighting for recruits/admissions.

Did I mention the cold? Can’t golf all year in south Bend….