Coaching Carousel

12 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I didn't like Lea to Vandy, and not a fan of Elko to Duke lol.

Oh well. Both definitely with tough jobs lol...

If you want a HC job, sometimes you have to fix a sinking ship. 

Maybe sometimes you just go for the money.  I think Elko was making $2 million a year at A&M. Guessing he’ll make about $4 million a year at Duke, probably for a minimum of three years. I’d take $12 million over 3 years, then go into broadcasting if Duke didn’t work out. Maybe just retire. 

12 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I didn't like Lea to Vandy, and not a fan of Elko to Duke lol.

Oh well. Both definitely with tough jobs lol...

If you want a HC job, sometimes you have to fix a sinking ship. 

Yes, I didn't think Lea going to Vandy was a wise decision and Elko to Duke is a real puzzler to me. They both could have done better imho. Maybe they are striving to be the next Pat Fitzgerald? And I have a ton of respect for what Pat Fitz has accomplished at NU.

11 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

They should lol.. 

Agreed. But doing well at Vandy will likely get a better next-job, than doing well at Duke. You probably don't have to do as well at Vandy either, to be thought well of. 

They should care, but I don’t think they do. As long as Basketball is in good shape, football will always take a backseat.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, jimbo said:

Yes, I didn't think Lea going to Vandy was a wise decision and Elko to Duke is a real puzzler to me. They both could have done better imho. Maybe they are striving to be the next Pat Fitzgerald? And I have a ton of respect for what Pat Fitz has accomplished at NU.

NW had a decent framework in place when Fitzgerald took over. Vandy & Duke have nothing,

8 hours ago, AnTostal said:

Maybe sometimes you just go for the money.  I think Elko was making $2 million a year at A&M. Guessing he’ll make about $4 million a year at Duke, probably for a minimum of three years. I’d take $12 million over 3 years, then go into broadcasting if Duke didn’t work out. Maybe just retire. 

I think it's both money and the HC opportunity for both. 

Wish them both luck. Big challenge for both. 

6 hours ago, ELDER06 said:

They should care, but I don’t think they do. As long as Basketball is in good shape, football will always take a backseat.

Getting Chip in the first place meant they cared. But not sure how much they're willing to invest ongoing. 

But OR is just a much better place given the facilities, Nike, etc.. No contest.

20 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Getting Chip in the first place meant they cared. But not sure how much they're willing to invest ongoing. 

But OR is just a much better place given the facilities, Nike, etc.. No contest.

They got him super cheap. His buyout is next to nothing.

1 hour ago, ELDER06 said:

They got him super cheap. His buyout is next to nothing.

He made 5.6M last year. Second highest in the PAC (2nd to Shaw). 

So that's near top 10 pay nationally, and UCLA is far from a top 10 team. 

So overall, his 2021 pay was about how much he made per year with the Eagles. 

Not sure that's super cheap, especially accounting the team that's paying.

2 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

that seemed to come out of nowhere. But the first post has been updated, thanks for the information.

Yeah definitely out of no where, but if I’m taking someone from Georgia it’s definitely from the D side of the ball. Their offenses constantly seem to do less with more.

Edited by ndfanatic78

50 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

Add Urban Meyer, fired by the Jaguars. Fact Lou Holtz also coached the jets for less then 1 season

Damn this crazy year just keeps cranking out the hits. Couldn’t they have done this a month ago. He would probably be the new head coach right now. 😂

Edited by ndfanatic78

42 minutes ago, ndfanatic78 said:

Damn this crazy year just keeps cranking out the hits. Couldn’t they have done this a month ago. He would probably be the new head coach right now. 😂

He wasn’t accused of kicking his Kicker until yesterday. That whole incident sounds overblown, but the cumulative effect of everything was too much. Anyone with a brain knew he would fail in the NFL. 

41 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

He wasn’t accused of kicking his Kicker until yesterday. That whole incident sounds overblown, but the cumulative effect of everything was too much. Anyone with a brain knew he would fail in the NFL. 

I agree alot of College coaches can't adjust to being the co-star to the players. Until recently, College Coaches became the person that got all the endorsements, credit for success, responsibility for failure etc. Now with NIL that may shift overtime. In the NFL coaches are not FRANCHISES. They mess up they get replaced. Players often get to stay longer then Coaches.