Coaching Carousel

4 minutes ago, zemaniak said:

Still could have asked. Unless he was afraid Jack would say yes.  Thus, he did not want to stay.

But I get it.. the cold, the town of South Bend, the long travel, the fighting for recruits/admissions.

Did I mention the cold? Can’t golf all year in south Bend….

3M vs 10+M....

A bunch of academic restrictions vs none... 

An admin who doesn't want ND football to be what ND is known for vs and admin that wants to do anything for their FB team... 

No conference vs the best conference (although IND does have some benefit, but not like "SEC")

On 12/6/2021 at 10:00 PM, OKelleyIrish said:

3M vs 10+M....

A bunch of academic restrictions vs none... 

An admin who doesn't want ND football to be what ND is known for vs and admin that wants to do anything for their FB team... 

No conference vs the best conference (although IND does have some benefit, but not like "SEC")

It is fairly accepted that Kelly was making around $7 million not $3M. The $3M was what was coming straight from ND and did not include money ND has UA and others pay to coaches. However, even if ND bumped Kelly up to $10M a year, they were probably not going to guarantee 10 years. 

BTW, Freeman was probably north of $2M as DC based on comments made when he was hired.

• Heart 2

On 12/6/2021 at 6:42 PM, NDhoosier said:

I agree. I have no sympathy for how he left and I was a fan of Brian Kelly. I hope LSU falters these next few years.

I wholeheartedly agree.  I liked him as our coach for the most part, and I don’t fault him for going for that enormous payday.

…but the way it all went down was so shady, it colors my whole opinion of him.

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, TexasDomer said:

Maybe having Clemson on the schedule next year will turn out to be good for ND. Beat a team that still has a big name, probably goes 8-4 or 9-3.  Dabo  losing both his OC and DC reminds me of what seems to happen to Saban every other year. 

Edited by AnTostal
  • Heart 1

20 minutes ago, AnTostal said:

Maybe having Clemson on the schedule next year will turn out to be good for ND. Beat a team that still has a big name, probably goes 8-4 or 9-3.  Davi losing both his OC and DC reminds me of what seems to happen to Saban every other year. 

I’m really interested to see what happens to Clemson. Dabo has never had to deal with this level of turnover on his staff. 

22 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Not that anyone is surprised..., but OR making a play for Chip.

IMO, he should jump in his car immediately and head north.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32831822/oregon-ducks-making-push-bring-back-chip-kelly-school-football-head-coach-sources-say

Now there’s some confusion. Originally, media members said Dan Lanning, UGA DC took the job. However, now there’s reports saying no offer was made. 

Also, Mike Elko has taken the Duke job. RIP to his career. Aside from the few yrs of respectability Cutcliffe got them to, that place is death pit. This is how awful they are historically, about 15 yrs ago, Louisville sued them bc they dropped a scheduled game last minute. Even crazier, they argued the suit had no merit bc Louisville could replace them with literally any other D1 team and it would not hurt their strength of schedule. 

• Heart 1

36 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

Also, Mike Elko has taken the Duke job. RIP to his career. Aside from the few yrs of respectability Cutcliffe got them to, that place is death pit. This is how awful they are historically, about 15 yrs ago, Louisville sued them bc they dropped a scheduled game last minute. Even crazier, they argued the suit had no merit bc Louisville could replace them with literally any other D1 team and it would not hurt their strength of schedule. 

I didn't like Lea to Vandy, and not a fan of Elko to Duke lol.

Oh well. Both definitely with tough jobs lol...

If you want a HC job, sometimes you have to fix a sinking ship. 

11 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

It is fairly accepted that Kelly was making around $7 million not $3M. The $3M was what was coming straight from ND and did not include money ND has UA and others pay to coaches. However, even if ND bumped Kelly up to $10M a year, they were probably not going to guarantee 10 years. 

BTW, Freeman was probably north of $2M as DC based on comments made when he was hired.

I agree, but like I said earlier, BK is likely also getting extra $ from Nike (or other areas) at LSU like he got from UA at ND.

At the end of day, ND wasn't going to get close to the total package and guarantees that LSU tossed at him. 

I'm not worried. I like Freeman. Risk, but high ceiling. Have no idea what Freeman was making. He was in demand so 2M wouldn't surprise me. Hope he's getting paid well now from a HC perspective (top 10). 

2 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I didn't like Lea to Vandy, and not a fan of Elko to Duke lol.

Oh well. Both definitely with tough jobs lol...

If you want a HC job, sometimes you have to fix a sinking ship. 

Duke & Vandy are like trying to fix the Titanic in its current state. I think Duke is the far easier job strictly bc of the Conference. Even Vandy’s home games are really road games bc all of the visiting team’s fans want to take a trip to Nashville. 

7 minutes ago, ELDER06 said:

I don’t think UCLA cares much tbh. 

They should lol.. 

1 minute ago, ELDER06 said:

Duke & Vandy are like trying to fix the Titanic in its current state. I think Duke is the far easier job strictly bc of the Conference. Even Vandy’s home games are really road games bc all of the visiting team’s fans want to take a trip to Nashville. 

Agreed. But doing well at Vandy will likely get a better next-job, than doing well at Duke. You probably don't have to do as well at Vandy either, to be thought well of.