2023 Notre Dame Recruiting Prospects

8 hours ago, EddieAngel said:

The Keeley and Moore situation have made it clear to me why Ty and BK took up golf. Why bother swinging for the fences when someone can just outbid you? Old school eBay style sniping. 

Interestingly enough, rumored that Dante is visiting UCLA

7 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

We can do NIL as any school... if we want to....

Regardless, even if we're comparable to the football factories, it comes back to "playing school", and other the same issues. But the bag men excuse isn't here anymore... 

Agreed.  I keep wondering as the "newness" of the NIL wears off, how it will keep going.  Will the contributors keep throwing large sums of money towards unproven HS kids.  And if those kids aren't seeing significant PT their first year with all the expectations and money thrown at them, they enter the portal and bounce.  What's the pressure/influence that NIL money having on PT decisions with coaching staffs at some of the factories?  Without some rules and regulations governing this in the near future I don't see it being sustainable in its current wild west form.

• Heart 3

21 minutes ago, jessemoore97 said:

Agreed.  I keep wondering as the "newness" of the NIL wears off, how it will keep going.  Will the contributors keep throwing large sums of money towards unproven HS kids.  And if those kids aren't seeing significant PT their first year with all the expectations and money thrown at them, they enter the portal and bounce.  What's the pressure/influence that NIL money having on PT decisions with coaching staffs at some of the factories?  Without some rules and regulations governing this in the near future I don't see it being sustainable in its current wild west form.

My guess is that money (at non-top 5 schools) gets spent on transfers and getting players to stay

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

We can do NIL as any school... if we want to....

Regardless, even if we're comparable to the football factories, it comes back to "playing school", and other the same issues. But the bag men excuse isn't here anymore... 

The "problem" is that ND is not doing NIL like some of the other schools. No upfront money, no spreading wealth around to handlers/family members.  Given that it seems that each and every Irish player (including walk-ons) is getting tens of thousands from the ND collectives, ND is likely in at least the Top 20 of schools in total NIL dollars being spent (maybe higher).

It is the five stars looking for the guaranteed big payday while still in high school where ND probably falls short.

• Heart 2
  • Leprechaun 1

11 minutes ago, jbrown_9999 said:

The "problem" is that ND is not doing NIL like some of the other schools. No upfront money, no spreading wealth around to handlers/family members.  Given that it seems that each and every Irish player (including walk-ons) is getting tens of thousands from the ND collectives, ND is likely in at least the Top 20 of schools in total NIL dollars being spent (maybe higher).

It is the five stars looking for the guaranteed big payday while still in high school where ND probably falls short.

Your last paragraph is spot on.  That's where I question the sustainability of things long term with this whole NIL model.  Not NDs but the overpriced bidding for unproven HS talent.

• Heart 2

56 minutes ago, Big23Head said:

FWIW, I am not sure ND will hold onto P. Bowen or Limar. This obviously happens every year but NIL and Freeman pushing higher for recruits will not have the calm, quiet signings days of BK.

Good points I understand …..it’s like uncharted territory for us, strap in and let’s hope we end up enjoying the final days of this ride.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

I would love for the downfall of some major factories to be their refusal to pay big NIL money.  "Come here to win and get max exposure to the NFL but we ain't paying top dollar for you to do so."

ND is one of those schools. They aren't paying ahead of time anyway, they are saying come prove it. Along with the team NIL when you are actually on the team.

Just now, Big23Head said:

ND is one of those schools. They aren't paying ahead of time anyway, they are saying come prove it. Along with the team NIL when you are actually on the team.

ND is on the other end of this spectrum.  We, as fans, want/need the school to pony up some to get these kids in here.

12 hours ago, jessemoore97 said:

I'm not really worried TBH. Most NIL money is split between two groups. One is big corp (true advertising, normal market driven) and boosters. Doubt either changes much soon. Big corp won't go away. They are doing the same thing (they've always done), just earlier now. Booster NIL though, just replaces bag men. Or allows some schools (that wouldn't allow bag men) to compete with schools that always had bag men lol... ND however has huge boosters, that always were eager to spend... but ND was not supportive of bag men (for the most part). Now they can spend. But likely have more oversight than the factories. Regardless, doubt boosters care if the high NIL kids get PT. They mostly care if the kid signed. Now corps likely want PT, but no pressure on the school. The corps will still roll the dice every year on new kids.  

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Technically all teams have the same rules, or have the lack of rules.

IMO there are 3 types of teams...

(1) So some teams will break rules (like always), but... (2) some teams will push the envelope while (3) some teams will impose rules that other teams don't have. If we choose to be 3 (impose unrequired rules, or heavily regulate), that's on us. 

1 hour ago, irishwavend said:

So…..when are we gonna see salary caps….

That’s my question too. That is the minimum amount of regulation in my opinion but it limits athletes’ ability to profit off of their NIL so it will likely end up in court.

This is like crypto and NFTs all rolled up, some investors are going to have to get torched before regulators step in. 

• Cheers 1