2023 Notre Dame Recruiting Prospects

12 minutes ago, EddieAngel said:

That’s my question too. That is the minimum amount of regulation in my opinion but it limits athletes’ ability to profit off of their NIL so it will likely end up in court.

This is like crypto and NFTs all rolled up, some investors are going to have to get torched before regulators step in. 

IMO, within 5 years, all NIL will be required to go through a centralized national group (like the NCAA), that is regulated and is more consistent. It will take some ugliness to become visible, before they tame the Wild West. 

And personally, I'm good with NIL (in spirit). But it's been rolled out with little thought, and as sloppy as possible. 

17 minutes ago, EddieAngel said:

That’s my question too. That is the minimum amount of regulation in my opinion but it limits athletes’ ability to profit off of their NIL so it will likely end up in court.

This is like crypto and NFTs all rolled up, some investors are going to have to get torched before regulators step in. 

Lol….How about this Colorado’s AD says he currently does not have the money to pay Prime salary 

https://www.totalprosports.com/ncaa/colorado-ad-no-money-deion-sanders/

Now Imagine if all the boosters/corporations backed out of their NIL deals with recruits.

I know it Wouldn’t happen. But fking funny.

3 hours ago, Big23Head said:

ND is one of those schools. They aren't paying ahead of time anyway, they are saying come prove it. Along with the team NIL when you are actually on the team.

Bowen offered 2 mil . Why would a kid turn that down? I wouldn’t that’s for sure 

47 minutes ago, ND_JACK said:

Lol….How about this Colorado’s AD says he currently does not have the money to pay Prime salary 

https://www.totalprosports.com/ncaa/colorado-ad-no-money-deion-sanders/

Now Imagine if all the boosters/corporations backed out of their NIL deals with recruits.

I know it Wouldn’t happen. But fking funny.

Not happening. 

Most estimate that hiring Sanders likely generates 100s of millions dollars in the first two years, plenty to cover his salary for the 5 years. 

Didn't read your link, but I know the AD said he fully expects the money soon. I'd guess boosters made commitments prior to inking the contract. 

And it's already discussed that their phones are ringing off the hook from recruits, transfers, and boosters. I assume the roster will turn over quickly, and quality ratings/grades improve dramatically. 

I think the entire issue with NIL is that it’s a player’s right to make money doing commercials or whatever.  You can’t regulate that.  What you can regulate is whether a school is allowed to be represented in that commercial or just the athlete, alone, and whether what’s paid is supplemental income related to playing football or whether it’s for actual other services rendered, ie working at a car dealership, doing ads, etc.  if you’re just handing a kid money and not truly using the kid’s image, you have a substance over form issue - that’s income to play football, not NIL money…income to play football can be regulated by the NCAA.

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, irishwavend said:

I think the entire issue with NIL is that it’s a player’s right to make money doing commercials or whatever.  You can’t regulate that.  What you can regulate is whether a school is allowed to be represented in that commercial or just the athlete, alone, and whether what’s paid is supplemental income related to playing football or whether it’s for actual other services rendered, ie working at a car dealership, doing ads, etc.  if you’re just handing a kid money and not truly using the kid’s image, you have a substance over form issue - that’s income to play football, not NIL money…income to play football can be regulated by the NCAA.

You can regulate anything lol. 

At minimum, every state has to have laws/regs like Texas. The state requires all NIL contracts, and amount, is disclosed. And the school can't be involved. But the law/regs is the reason we know TAMU football had 3.4M in NIL. And UTx only had 0.9M. IMO, all states require disclosure/transparency. Keep it all in the light... 

Time for us to shit or get off the pot and start paying up.  2 of the program changing guys now have gone for the money, and the last one left of this class looks like he is too.  I think regulation is just wishful thinking, all these people giving these guys all this money give their politicans lots of money too I am guessing.  

Hate to say that we can absorb losing Bowen.  Don't want to, but smells like we will.  We keep Shuler and Minich.  This is a great DB class!

Losing Limar will hurt in 2 years, but then gotta keep J Love - an still have J Price coming up redshirt fresh.  Shore it up in '24's class / portal as needed.

The NIL $$ flying around late is chaos, but I'm shocked that our outgoing portal has mostly held so far - a great sign!

Now - the QB question...

9 hours ago, irishwavend said:

What you can regulate is whether a school is allowed to be represented in that commercial or just the athlete, alone, and whether what’s paid is supplemental income related to playing football or whether it’s for actual other services rendered, ie working at a car dealership, doing ads, etc.

I was at a BYU basketball game a month ago.  They had athletes promoting their corporate sponsors in ads that are played on the jumbotron during stoppages in play.  Could you get any closer to having a university pay the kids directly?

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, JeffV said:

Hate to say that we can absorb losing Bowen.  Don't want to, but smells like we will.  We keep Shuler and Minich.  This is a great DB class!

Losing Limar will hurt in 2 years, but then gotta keep J Love - an still have J Price coming up redshirt fresh.  Shore it up in '24's class / portal as needed.

The NIL $$ flying around late is chaos, but I'm shocked that our outgoing portal has mostly held so far - a great sign!

Now - the QB question...

Losing Bowen is going to brutal

If we lose Limar, we'll be fine

1 hour ago, Burkdd0012 said:

He is a safety when is the last time they led  a team when a championship? Least of my worries we need d line help and a qb the rest can be bandaged up to win 

They are a key part of the defense.  It's a huge loss

Don't act all of a sudden like he means nothing

That's IF Bowen flips...recent tweets seem to indicate he's talked to Freeman and he might stick.

I double down that Schuler and Minich are both dudes.  You never know how a kid develops, but all 3 safeties in this class are highly-rated, high IQ, and appear hard working.  They'll hit the gym and contribute soon.

We're in good shape no matter.

As to Limar - I really like his film, but Jeremyiah Love seems to be the quietest of the RB hype.  The kid is 100M Missouri State Champ @ almost 200 lbs.  Leads with his grade point and Nat'l Honor Society on his twitter.  That's what ND needs.

The uglier NIL stuff will sort itself out.  We can tiptoe and still succeed.  I don't want to lose any of these commits, but unless we lose them all we'll be able to move on.  A lot of future stars in this group!

• Heart 2

11 minutes ago, JeffV said:

That's IF Bowen flips...recent tweets seem to indicate he's talked to Freeman and he might stick.

I double down that Schuler and Minich are both dudes.  You never know how a kid develops, but all 3 safeties in this class are highly-rated, high IQ, and appear hard working.  They'll hit the gym and contribute soon.

We're in good shape no matter.

As to Limar - I really like his film, but Jeremyiah Love seems to be the quietest of the RB hype.  The kid is 100M Missouri State Champ @ almost 200 lbs.  Leads with his grade point and Nat'l Honor Society on his twitter.  That's what ND needs.

The uglier NIL stuff will sort itself out.  We can tiptoe and still succeed.  I don't want to lose any of these commits, but unless we lose them all we'll be able to move on.  A lot of future stars in this group!

This one? Not mad at it.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, golson5 said:

They are a key part of the defense.  It's a huge loss

Don't act all of a sudden like he means nothing

Just saying we have bigger holes. What did we win with the best safety in country last few years nothing. Does it suck yeah but just like Dante Moore life goes on 

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, Burkdd0012 said:

Just saying we have bigger holes. What did we win with the best safety in country last few years nothing. Does it suck yeah but just like Dante Moore life goes on 

We would have a helluva lot better chance to win a championship with both than without both i can guarantee you that.  That isnt even including keeley

• Heart 2