Vegas Shooting

It is a stock that you can put on a semi-auto AR-15 that uses the recoil to slide the rifle back into the stock and initiate another trigger pull without the need of moving your trigger finger. There are tons of youtube videos out there of people firing with them...they are a complete waste, imo.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/news/a28479/vegas-shooter-bump-stock/

Appreciate the info

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll do some more research into it. I admit my living close to Chicago could be a negative bias.

Thanks. Just to be clear I am not arguing one point over another, Just that a large portion of gun dealh are actually suicides and that I disagree with your contention that oit is primarily an inner city issue.

Hell, Virginia Tech isnt inner city either.

I am also not trying to argue that it isnt an issue in inner city, just to be clear.

Disagree with what's in bold. I much prefer a hollow point for home protection. The round is less likely to pierce an intruder, go through a wall and hit one of my children. A standard 'practice round' does not slow down enough in this situation and could injure or kill one of them.

As far as a suppressor is concerned for home protection...again, have you ever fired a gun in an enclosed space? Yeah, it's freaking LOUD. A suppressor will limit the noise some (not as much as people think) so that you can communicate with your family if you ever had the need to discharge a weapon inside your home.

I'm familiar with the pros/cons of the hollow point bullet and I'm more sympathetic to the continued use for the reasons you mention (haha not that my opinion really matters or will change anything). Suppressors though, I'd bet people just buy those because they're cool (which, they do look cool). I have fired a gun in an enclosed space and yes they are very loud. I don't really think the suppressor is going to make a gun all that much more lethal or dangerous but its a glory accessory. Your exception is valid but unless you're communicating with your own family swat team facing down a team of mercenaries, most home defense scenarios are probably not really going to require a ton of communication that is hindered by firing a loud gun.

Thanks. Just to be clear I am not arguing one point over another, Just that a large portion of gun dealh are actually suicides and that I disagree with your contention that oit is primarily an inner city issue.

Hell, Virginia Tech isnt inner city either.

I am also not trying to argue that it isnt an issue in inner city, just to be clear.

To further debunk the inner city myth, the highest incidents of gun violence per capita are Louisiana, Alaska, Alabama, Mississippi and Wyoming.

Guys: There is no way the surface level facts are true. If you have never shot powerful full auto guns before please consult with your military brethren..

A 60+ year old out of shape drunk gambling millionaire stock piled 10-15 illegal firearms that are heavily regulated and cost at least 10-20k each and unloaded thousands of rounds of ammo inside of a poorly ventilated dugout 32 floors up 500 yards away..

If you think they were illegally modded to be full auto they were still at least half of that cost and less than half as reliable. So unless you have experienced with this stuff there is no way to pull off this feat without a hitch. These guns jam all the time and are in fact very dangerous to operate by yourself.

Some of yal need to watch the movie Shooter with Wahlberg, that all I'm gonna say..

What is a bump stock?

LOL There is no f*cking way that many rounds went off without a hitch using a bump stock let alone not causing any catastrophic issues with the weapon itself. The bump stock uses the weapons own recoil as a means to fire off rapid rounds.

Those were finely tuned weapons of death that cost anywhere from 10-20k/each.

If you believe they were off the shelf weapons with modified bolts then you're still very very uneducated. There was a team of pros behind this incident, 100%.

I'm familiar with the pros/cons of the hollow point bullet and I'm more sympathetic to the continued use for the reasons you mention (haha not that my opinion really matters or will change anything). Suppressors though, I'd bet people just buy those because they're cool (which, they do look cool). I have fired a gun in an enclosed space and yes they are very loud. I don't really think the suppressor is going to make a gun all that much more lethal or dangerous but its a glory accessory. Your exception is valid but unless you're communicating with your own family swat team facing down a team of mercenaries, most home defense scenarios are probably not really going to require a ton of communication that is hindered by firing a loud gun.

True, and I do not own a suppressor. They do make sense in that you could hear what your wife is saying after popping off a few rounds in a narrow hallway. I see your point around a glory accessory, and many things people tack onto an AR are simply just that...but the same goes for any other hobby that one might have as well. I would love to have one, but for the money and time involved it simply isn't worth it to me. It would make shooting at a range a lot easier on the ears, though.

Guys: There is no way the surface level facts are true. If you have never shot powerful full auto guns before please consult with your military brethren..

A 60+ year old out of shape drunk gambling millionaire stock piled 10-15 illegal firearms that are heavily regulated and cost at least 10-20k each and unloaded thousands of rounds of ammo inside of a poorly ventilated dugout 32 floors up 500 yards away..

If you think they were illegally modded to be full auto they were still at least half of that cost and less than half as reliable. So unless you have experienced with this stuff there is no way to pull off this feat without a hitch. These guns jam all the time and are in fact very dangerous to operate by yourself.

Some of yal need to watch the movie Shooter with Wahlberg, that all I'm gonna say..

I LOVE a good conspiracy and I was like...hmmmm, killed himself as soon as the cops got there. What's your theory? Motive? This guy is the fall guy, who is behind it?

Also, Occam's Razor so until proven otherwise, solo actor. But I do like looking at all the angles.

LOL There is no f*cking way that many rounds went off without a hitch using a bump stock let alone not causing any catastrophic issues with the weapon itself. The bump stock uses the weapons own recoil as a means to fire off rapid rounds.

If you believe they were off the shelf weapons with modified bolts then you're still very very uneducated. There was a team of pros behind this incident, 100%.

I know very little about guns. Some pics of what they found are below but these may not be the ones he used to fire.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4944234/Two-23-rifles-inside-Stephen-Paddock-s-room.html

But this seems to have been carried out too successfully for a retired, joe soap with no military history to undertake. It was clinical.

To further debunk the inner city myth, the highest incidents of gun violence per capita are Louisiana, Alaska, Alabama, Mississippi and Wyoming.

This is false in regards to "gun violence", i dont think suicide should be lumped in with murder and manslaughter which the study you found does add in. Alaska has the highest suicide rate of the US i believe, hence the inflated numbers from the study you looked at.

Sorry bud this was just one guy. He had 20000 people 400-500 yards away all jam packed into an area the size of a football field with minimal place to take cover. All the guy had to do was point in that general direction and he was going to hit alot of people.

This is false in regards to "gun violence", i dont think suicide should be lumped in with murder and manslaughter which the study you found does add in. Alaska has the highest suicide rate of the US i believe, hence the inflated numbers from the study you looked at.

Completely agree that suicide is another subset/side issue. My issue with suicide and gun deaths is that it has been shown that access to guns increases suicides... in other words, people can be more impulsive with the suicide.

Columbine, Vegas, Sandy Hook, Orlando, etc... not inner city, not broken families

Chicago, Baltimore, LA, DC, name your major American city which in any given year generates hundreds of homicides individually. Yet it's not a problem that broken families and communities is a major reason for the violence?

Glad you mentioned that, I'm sure what you consider gun violence is really important to those who have lost a loved one due to suicide by gun.

http://www.motherjones.com/wp-content/uploads/attempts-by-method-brady_0.png

Chicago, Baltimore, LA, DC, name your major American city which in any given year generates hundreds of homicides individually. Yet it's not a problem that broken families and communities is a major reason for the violence?

Broken families and communities exist outside of inner cities. Look at the per capita gun violence by state...doesn't exactly scream "urban" area, does it?

Yep one of the problems with the stats my friends and I dislike as well. Unfortunately those ones are the most cited because more bodies makes better arguing points.

True, and I do not own a suppressor. They do make sense in that you could hear what your wife is saying after popping off a few rounds in a narrow hallway. I see your point around a glory accessory, and many things people tack onto an AR are simply just that...but the same goes for any other hobby that one might have as well. I would love to have one, but for the money and time involved it simply isn't worth it to me. It would make shooting at a range a lot easier on the ears, though.

That's just it, gun ownership isn't any other hobby though. A gun exists solely to cause harm and part of the fetishization of guns in America has conditioned all of us to minimize the weight that comes with gun ownership. I am not singling you out by any means, I am part of the culture as well. I've been hunting, I've been shooting quite a few times, and I have considered purchasing my own gun both in the past and I'm not ruling it out for the future.

I LOVE a good conspiracy and I was like...hmmmm, killed himself as soon as the cops got there. What's your theory? Motive? This guy is the fall guy, who is behind it?

Also, Occam's Razor so until proven otherwise, solo actor. But I do like looking at all the angles.

I'm doubting that he had much to do with the actual shooting. I feel like he fits a convenient profile that sociaety could easily tear apart with his father being an ex con and his brother is a little whacky. He had the means to spend 50-100k on weapons, but why..?

I feel like with all of the variables at play there is a 95 % chance this thing gets foiled unraveled or his guns jam or blow up and injuring the shooter if you believe they were custom bolts installed in off the shelf rifle, or used bump stiocks.. IMO the only way for this to go off successfully for the shooter is to have a calculated well funded and well experienced shooter and team.

Sorry bud this was just one guy. He had 20000 people 400-500 yards away all jam packed into an area the size of a football field with minimal place to take cover. All the guy had to do was point in that general direction and he was going to hit alot of people.

True it's easy to mow down 500 people in this scenario, but because that is a true statement you're going to blindly believe everything else that seems ultra sketchy the media is and is not telling us..? You're crazy.. I like you,but you're crazy.

Edited by JTennant