2015 MLB Season

Go watch Coghlan's slide and then watch Utley's again. They were way different. I played division 1 college baseball and still work in the field...Utley's slide usually causes dugouts to clear or that player being plunked next ab. With that said, I don't think Utley meant anything malicious, but the slide was definitely questionable at best.

Go Cubs!

Completely agree. But the point was that both guys slid intentionally into the player. NOT the base. Both got injured. One slid early. One slid late. Neither were malicious. Both ended with the player breaking a bone. One was suspended. The other wasn't. How do we decide between the two? Because one guy slid late? Doesn't make sense to me. Both caused the same result. And both slid PURPOSELY into a player. Change the rule or don't suspend him IMO.

And you are right. GO CUBS!!!

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is now his second year as a Cubs coach.
I'm getting pretty excited about Baez honestly. Dude has some power. Do you think the front office will keep all 3 big middle infielders (Castro, Russell, Baez) long term? Or, will 1 need to be dealt? Not too worried about it currently but it is a good issue to have.

I'm getting pretty excited about Baez honestly. Dude has some power. Do you think the front office will keep all 3 big middle infielders (Castro, Russell, Baez) long term? Or, will 1 need to be dealt? Not too worried about it currently but it is a good issue to have.

Either Baez moves to 3rd, which puts Bryant in center, which isn't great, but not the worst thing.

Or Castro is moved and Russell goes back to second with Baez at SS.

Other option would be to put Schwarber back behind the plate and move Baez to 3rd and Bryant to LF and bring in/up a CF. Not sure if that will happen though.

Either Baez moves to 3rd, which puts Bryant in center, which isn't great, but not the worst thing.

Or Castro is moved and Russell goes back to second with Baez at SS.

Other option would be to put Schwarber back behind the plate and move Baez to 3rd and Bryant to LF and bring in/up a CF. Not sure if that will happen though.

It will be interesting to see. They need to pick a position for Schwarber and have him hone his defense in the offseason. I hope they keep all 3 and don't have to decide. They also recently signed Eddy Julio Martinez, a strong Cuban prospect. Epstein has done a phenomenal job of stockpiling young talent. It will be interesting to see what it is done with all of it going forward.

It's funny...3 months ago Castro was completely out of the equation for next season, and now it seems crazy to let him go. I've always been a fan of his, and I'm happy he's contributing at such a high level right now.

Russell and Baez are definitely pieces of the future, and until Torres comes up we probably won't have to worry about it. I think we will see Baez be the Zobrist for Maddon. He won't play the same position everyday, but he will certainly be in the lineup as an everyday guy.

The lineup should get interesting in the next few years though. Do the Cubs keep Fowler? Do they sign Jackson for much cheaper and role with him? Will Almora be ready by the end of next season? What is Schwarber's future position?

Not to mention guys like McKinney, Contreras, and some of the pitchers...

Cubs have a really good problem right now.

Or I wonder if Castro can play center and keep Bryant at third and Baez at second. So many options.

If they do keep Scwarber in left then they are going to need to keep a decent fielding center fielder. I'd stick with Re-signing Fowler. The depth this year is what has kept the Cubs fresh and allow guys the needed rest for the stretch run. Also, there bench is very strong and can play multiple positions.

As I told my friend yesterday, this isn't your father's Cubs. Or even your grandfathers Cubs. No longer are the Cubs in debt with over-priced veterans. Band-aid pieced together year after year. Farm system dead last with no rookies on the horizon. This team is young and fun to watch.

Or I wonder if Castro can play center and keep Bryant at third and Baez at second. So many options.

If they do keep Scwarber in left then they are going to need to keep a decent fielding center fielder. I'd stick with Re-signing Fowler. The depth this year is what has kept the Cubs fresh and allow guys the needed rest for the stretch run. Also, there bench is very strong and can play multiple positions.

As I told my friend yesterday, this isn't your father's Cubs. Or even your grandfathers Cubs. No longer are the Cubs in debt with over-priced veterans. Band-aid pieced together year after year. Farm system dead last with no rookies on the horizon. This team is young and fun to watch.

I would DEFINITELY re-sign Fowler. Without question. Great leadoff guy with a good attitude, pretty good speed, and decent power. Big fan of his. Obviously lol.

I would DEFINITELY re-sign Fowler. Without question. Great leadoff guy with a good attitude, pretty good speed, and decent power. Big fan of his. Obviously lol.

I wonder what the going rate for Heyward is going to be. Wouldn't mind him in center, but not there is a spot or money in the budget.

I wonder what the going rate for Heyward is going to be. Wouldn't mind him in center, but not there is a spot or money in the budget.

I'd rather see Fowler only because I think Almora is close. Heyward is younger and will want huge money and years. Fowler, albeit coming off a good season, is older than Heyward and probably won't command nearly as much in both money and years.

I'd rather see Fowler only because I think Almora is close. Heyward is younger and will want huge money and years. Fowler, albeit coming off a good season, is older than Heyward and probably won't command nearly as much in both money and years.

Although Fowler seems a little fragile at times. I would definetly take him over Heyward. Based on chemistry and he's a solid center fielder. Heyward can play it but I just think Fowler is better defensively. Also, Fowler can still hit a little and has been a good lead off man. Heyward reminds me of a 2 or 6 hitter. We have enough of those guys already. We don't have legit lead off man if Fowler leaves.

I'd be surprised if St Louis let him go. He started slow but got going pretty good. They really ought to pay and keep him.

Everything I've read says he's looking for something north of $100 million. He's a nice piece but $100 million? My God, baseball is THE sport to go into if you want to get stupid rich and you have any semblance of talent.......

Everything I've read says he's looking for something north of $100 million. He's a nice piece but $100 million? My God, baseball is THE sport to go into if you want to get stupid rich and you have any semblance of talent.......

Well, if you are into advanced metrics and WAR, he was worth 6 wins this year, same as Bryant, more than Rizzo, McCutchen, Jose Bautista, Buster Posey, Chris Davis. He was 11th in the league and is only 26.

Is he a superstar in the making, I don't think so, but you can do a whole lot worse than him as a 26 year old.

For sure. Don't get me wrong - this guy is talented for sure and I'd welcome him to Toronto any day of the week. It was more of a comment on where salaries have gone. I remember when a $100 million deal was signed it was big news - you'd see photo galleries on SI with the history of $100 million deals. Now, it would be an endless gallery. Craziness.

That being said, I still love the future of my Jays outfield with the way Pillar has emerged defensively!

As they say here, 2/3 of the world's surface is covered by water. The rest is covered by Pillar.

For sure. Don't get me wrong - this guy is talented for sure and I'd welcome him to Toronto any day of the week. It was more of a comment on where salaries have gone. I remember when a $100 million deal was signed it was big news - you'd see photo galleries on SI with the history of $100 million deals. Now, it would be an endless gallery. Craziness.

That being said, I still love the future of my Jays outfield with the way Pillar has emerged defensively!

As they say here, 2/3 of the world's surface is covered by water. The rest is covered by Pillar.

I hear you.

Just wait until Mike Trout Becomes after agent. $400 million?