2015 MLB Season

No, it wasn't within the rules, that's why he was suspended for two games.

You can slide into the bag and break up a play of a guy standing on the base. You can't slide once you've passed the base to interfere with a guy three feet behind the base.

The first is a hard play within the rules, what he did was dirty and not within the rules, hence a 2 game suspension.

Three feet LOL...it wasn't dirty, it was what every baseball player is taught and EXPECTED to do. If there wasn't a broken leg, this wouldn't be an issue. Overreaction from baseball under the current rules. Which is why he was called safe.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess this is a topic that'll have plenty of people on both sides. I'm on the side of saying that it was a piece of $hit play and that there's no place in the game for crap like that.

When I played, yeah, I slid in hard at 2nd; and under direction from all my coaches thru college, I did so w/the intent of interfering with the ability for the throw to 1B, but it always involved a legit SLIDE. Most times yes, with cleats towards the waist. I had the same thing happen to me during the time I played SS, and the worst I ever had was a couple of cleat marks/cuts.

Yeah, I believe in playing the game hard, but if what Utley did was OKAY, then where do you draw the fvcking line for what's acceptable in trying to break up a double play?

Quit acting like his intent was to break a leg. It wasn't - it was to break up a double play.

Of course he didn't intend to break his leg, but that was the result.

Tejada was behind the base and Utleys butt isn't on the ground when they make contact. In no way is that a normal slide to break up a double play.

Tejada was behind the base and Utleys butt isn't on the ground when they make contact. In no way is that a normal slide to break up a double play.

Right. It was a playoff slide. Those plays don't happen with regularity in the season. It was a "we're down by one in the 7th inning of the divisional playoffs..." Again, part of the game. Like it or not.

Right. It was a playoff slide. Those plays don't happen with regularity in the season. It was a "we're down by one in the 7th inning of the divisional playoffs..." Again, part of the game. Like it or not.

We can agree to disagree, there is a reason he got suspended for 2 games.

Quit acting like his intent was to break a leg. It wasn't - it was to break up a double play.

Again, where do you draw the line? I don't give a $hit if it was only his intent to break up a double play. Even at that, it's a punk-*** play. You can't just say "anything goes" becuz it's the playoffs.

Saw the play finally and agree. It looked like he slid a good foot or so away from the bag. Hope mlb looks at this real good and makes all the baserunners slide directly into the bag. Feel bad for Tejada on the play. Also heard Utley got an extraordinarily rude reception in NY last night.

Again, where do you draw the line? I don't give a $hit if it was only his intent to break up a double play. Even at that, it's a punk-*** play. You can't just say "anything goes" becuz it's the playoffs.

Punk *** play? Then you are ignorant as to how the game has been played for over 100 years. Getting mad about this is the same as being mad about a debilitating horse-collar tackle six months before the NFL changed the rule.

Utley did exactly what was expected of him under the circumstances. It was his responsibility.

It doesn't matter about the slide being to late. As long as his hand touches the bag(which it did) then it's fair game. Do I think a change should be implemented, yes I do. But as Rocket said, it's the way the game has been played for 100 years. It took Bosy's injury to change running into the catcher. Maybe Tejada's injury will change running into second.

It doesn't matter about the slide being to late. As long as his hand touches the bag(which it did) then it's fair game. Do I think a change should be implemented, yes I do. But as Rocket said, it's the way the game has been played for 100 years. It took Bosy's injury to change running into the catcher. Maybe Tejada's injury will change running into second.

He didn't slide until after the base. This isn't that hard to understand. He was suspended two games because his action was illegal. Just because you can touch a base doesn't give you the right to barrel into a guys leg without touching the ground first.

If he slid outside base and contacted him while on the ground, sure, that would be a good clean slide. This was very late and high. If Tejada wasn't there, he wouldn't have contacted the ground until three feet after the base. In what world is that a real slide?

If Tulowitzki had been taken out in the same manner, I'm sure some would view the play differently.

I wouldn't be upset at all. It's baseball...I played it. I coach it. It's unfortunate...but part of the game.

Peace. I'm out.

You coach your kids to slide knees first after the base? Seems like an odd technique.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/xOEHNAMJ4LE/maxresdefault.jpg

You coach your kids to slide knees first after the base? Seems like an odd technique.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/xOEHNAMJ4LE/maxresdefault.jpg

No, I teach them to slide feet first. Do you know the official major league rule for sliding to break up a double play? All you are required to do is hit the ground. It doesn't say feet first, a$$ first, knees first...anything...

Would I teach knees first sliding? Um, no, I wouldn't - that's a great way to blow an ACL and MCL all in one fell swoop...

If you want to be angry...be angry at the vagueness of the rules.

He didn't slide until after the base. This isn't that hard to understand. He was suspended two games because his action was illegal. Just because you can touch a base doesn't give you the right to barrel into a guys leg without touching the ground first.

If he slid outside base and contacted him while on the ground, sure, that would be a good clean slide. This was very late and high. If Tejada wasn't there, he wouldn't have contacted the ground until three feet after the base. In what world is that a real slide?

If Tulowitzki had been taken out in the same manner, I'm sure some would view the play differently.

I'm not saying it wasn't dirty. But a slides a slide. feet, knee, hand, knee, butt. Doesn't matter about the timing. Go look at the injury to Kang of the Pittsburg Pirates second baseman. Sure, Coughlan slid EARLY but he most definitely slid AT Kang. Where's the outrage for that slide? Only from Pittsburgh fans. There is only outrage now because it cost them a game in the playoffs and he got injured. Really or late, they both intentionally went after the player and not the base. Both got injured. Both were dirty. Both have been part of the game. It's a big deal because it's the playoffs. That's it.

Also, I think this suspension is the first of its kind. Guys barrel roll over the base and into players all the time. Some even get injured. The suspension is the kicker here. How can you suspend Utley and not suspend Coughlan or any other player that slides deliberately into a player? There just isn't a definite rule on how or when to slide. Until they change the rule, this is going to be a judgement call, and if you watch the NFL, can be disastrous for Umps.

Also, I think this suspension is the first of its kind. Guys barrel roll over the base and into players all the time. Some even get injured. The suspension is the kicker here. How can you suspend Utley and not suspend Coughlan or any other player that slides deliberately into a player? There just isn't a definite rule on how or when to slide. Until they change the rule, this is going to be a judgement call, and if you watch the NFL, can be disastrous for Umps.

Go watch Coghlan's slide and then watch Utley's again. They were way different. I played division 1 college baseball and still work in the field...Utley's slide usually causes dugouts to clear or that player being plunked next ab. With that said, I don't think Utley meant anything malicious, but the slide was definitely questionable at best.

Go Cubs!