2015 MLB Season

That's not what I said lol. I never said wait until next year. I'm very excited presently and about the Cubs future (not just next year). The fact is, they have 4 rookies in their everyday lineup. How many teams make the playoffs with that let alone win the World Series? That's my point. Going into this year I thought they'd win anywhere from 83-90 wins. Low side of that is not playoff caliber. Hell, 90 wins doesn't always make the playoffs. You completely misinterpreted my optimism and my lack of optimism.

In regards to Lester, take a look at his stats the last two months and throughout his career. He's a TOR arm. Plus, I think Arrieta is better anyways. Certainly they can be in contention and make the playoffs with those two at the top.

In fact, if you bothered to look back at my playoff predictions at the beginning of spring training...the Cubs weren't on there.

LOL... I did that a couple of days ago to make sure. Lester is BUM!

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lester is BUM!
SMH. He's a 2x world champion who just keeps racking up Ws and rarely gets hurt. Dude has been lockdown in the postseason also. He's done all this while battling lymphoma. In his spare time, him and his wife established an organization to help kids battle cancer while attempting to cure it also.

Dude is a stud and great person.

I think they will add a veteran piece to the pen today, because Medina should not be on the team. However, we will have to agree to disagree. I think Maddon messed up by taking Rondon out of the closer's role. The guy has been pretty much lights out all year. I think the best bullpens leave guys in certain roles and they become comfortable with that role, and Maddon seems to like mixing it up. Motte should have never been closing...at best he is middle relief help. He can't (and won't) throw anything besides a fastball.

I personally believe the 7-8-9 innings are fine and will be fine if she just sticks with a few guys. Wood has been a good LOOGY and situational lefty since moving to the pen. They can definitely add in the back end of the pen though. Not confident in Motte, Soriano (thought that can change), Medina, and to a certain extent Russell. If Ramirez was healthy that would be a big boost, but who knows if he will be the same. Maybe we will have to wait until next year for him. I also think Edwards will be called up in the next month.

Rumors are they will probably aquire Tommy Hunter from the Orioles. That would help in middle relief.

He tried Rondon in the closer role at the beginning of the season, and he blew some games also. Yes, the bullpen did have a strong ERA but that doesn't count when you choke out losses consistently all season long. Look at the best teams. Yankees have Miller and Betances and are still after Kimbrel and Chapman. Nationals just got Papelbon. Cardinals just got Broxton to bolster their bullpen, and they already have Rosenthal. The Cubs' bullpen is a problem. Again, not one 1-2-3 pertinent 9th all season.

SMH. He's a 2x world champion who just keeps racking up Ws and rarely gets hurt. Dude has been lockdown in the postseason also. He's done all this while battling lymphoma. In his spare time, him and his wife established an organization to help kids battle cancer while attempting to cure it also.

Dude is a stud and great person.

LOL... I was just stirring the pot OKCIrish99. Your man crush is all good.

He tried Rondon in the closer role at the beginning of the season, and he blew some games also. Yes, the bullpen did have a strong ERA but that doesn't count when you choke out losses consistently all season long. Look at the best teams. Yankees have Miller and Betances and are still after Kimbrel and Chapman. Nationals just got Papelbon. Cardinals just got Broxton to bolster their bullpen, and they already have Rosenthal. The Cubs' bullpen is a problem. Again, not one 1-2-3 pertinent 9th all season.

Trust me...if they would have added Kimbrel or something at the right price I would have been all for it. I just don't think it needed to happen for the bullpen to be successful. I like the Hunter addition though. Should definitely help in middle relief. I think Rondon had a rough patch for about a few games early on in the season, but besides that has been dominant.

I'm confused on your 1-2-3 9th comments tho. I just looked back and besides a rough patch in early May where Maddon took the job away from him (undeservingly) in my opinion, he has been great. He has pitched multiple 1-2-3 innings, and a bunch where he gave up either one hit or walk one walk and was clean besides that. He doesn't have to be perfect every time out.

Edited by LasVegasIrish

I'm confused on your 1-2-3 9th comments tho. I just looked back and besides a rough patch in early May where Maddon took the job away from him (undeservingly) in my opinion, he has been great. He has pitched multiple 1-2-3 innings, and a bunch where he gave up either one hit or walk one walk and was clean besides that. He doesn't have to be perfect every time out.
Maddon has had a bad habit of removing his starting pitchers too early in games and going to the bullpen. Yes, our bullpen pitchers have thrown 1-2-3 innings. However, I have not seen one all year to finalize and win a game. Going into the 9th with a lead for example. Have seen so many games blown this year late in the games. The one Strop blew at home to St Louis and Peralta would have put us within 6 1/2 of the division lead and would have taken 3 of 4 against them. Enormous psychological and confidence builder. Instead, it's blown like so many games. The Cubs need a no bs, legitimate closer desperately ala Rosenthal, Chapman, Miller, Kimbrel, etc. They have set up men already, and them and the entire team would benefit greatly from acquiring a real closer. Until then, expect more of the same.

Maddon has had a bad habit of removing his starting pitchers too early in games and going to the bullpen. Yes, our bullpen pitchers have thrown 1-2-3 innings. However, I have not seen one all year to finalize and win a game. Going into the 9th with a lead for example. Have seen so many games blown this year late in the games. The one Strop blew at home to St Louis and Peralta would have put us within 6 1/2 of the division lead and would have taken 3 of 4 against them. Enormous psychological and confidence builder. Instead, it's blown like so many games. The Cubs need a no bs, legitimate closer desperately ala Rosenthal, Chapman, Miller, Kimbrel, etc. They have set up men already, and them and the entire team would benefit greatly from acquiring a real closer. Until then, expect more of the same.

My point was Rondon has thrown numerous 1-2-3 9th innings this season that resulted in saves (including yesterday), and numerous other saves have been just one hit or one walk. I see him as a shut down closer, if not yet, then very soon. If the Cubs could have gotten Kimbrel at the right price I would have been all for it though. Can never have enough good pitching. Strop can be iffy, I admit that, but I also don't see him as closer material and a lot of blown saves recently I attribute to Maddon not using Rondon. The Motte experiment was never going to last. This is the second year in a row Rondon has been lights out.

I do think Maddon has a hard time controlling a pitching staff. Just like you mentioned, he takes starters out too early, and loses confidence in guys way too fast.

My point was Rondon has thrown numerous 1-2-3 9th innings this season that resulted in saves (including yesterday), and numerous other saves have been just one hit or one walk. I see him as a shut down closer, if not yet, then very soon. If the Cubs could have gotten Kimbrel at the right price I would have been all for it though. Can never have enough good pitching. Strop can be iffy, I admit that, but I also don't see him as closer material and a lot of blown saves recently I attribute to Maddon not using Rondon. The Motte experiment was never going to last. This is the second year in a row Rondon has been lights out.

I do think Maddon has a hard time controlling a pitching staff. Just like you mentioned, he takes starters out too early, and loses confidence in guys way too fast.

Here's the main recipe to fix the Cubs' bullpen:

1) Get a legitimate closer and another left handed stud.

2) Demote/cut Strop and Wood and possibly Grimm (career 4.90 era)

3) Bring up Edwards fairly soon. At least to see if he is ready ala Schwarber.

4) Use Rondon , Motte, Hunter as set up guys.

5) Have Maddon have more faith in the starters.

Think doing all this would help a lot. Until we find a legitimate closer, I will NOT consider the Cubs a real contender. Don't think Rondon is the answer although could be an excellent set up/middle men.

Here's the main recipe to fix the Cubs' bullpen:

1) Get a legitimate closer and another left handed stud.

2) Demote/cut Strop and Wood and possibly Grimm (career 4.90 era)

3) Bring up Edwards fairly soon. At least to see if he is ready ala Schwarber.

4) Use Rondon , Motte, Hunter as set up guys.

5) Have Maddon have more faith in the starters.

Think doing all this would help a lot. Until we find a legitimate closer, I will NOT consider the Cubs a real contender. Don't think Rondon is the answer although could be an excellent set up/middle men.

Okay...now we are just on two different spectrums and disagree completely lol.

Okay...now we are just on two different spectrums and disagree completely lol.
Yeah evidently so. I'll keep watching and hope to not get my heart broken in late innings anymore. Have little faith though. It will be interesting to see what Epstein does about the bullpen going forward.

Yeah evidently so. I'll keep watching and hope to not get my heart broken in late innings anymore. Have little faith though. It will be interesting to see what Epstein does about the bullpen going forward.

The only thing I would caution you on is to take Grimm's career ERA with a grain of salt. His first two years he was a starter for Texas and didn't fair well. His ERA is much different in his 3 seasons as strictly a reliever. It would be like judging Arrieta off his years in Baltimore. He's simply not the same pitcher he was. Grimm has been far better with the Cubs and as a reliever than he was with Texas and as a starter.

Everything else (besides idea #2) you mentioned I don't really have a problem with. I hope Ramirez comes back healthy and strong next year. He was absolutely dominant last season as the primary set up man.

He didn't allow a runner to reach in last nights game! C'mon OKC! Haha
I actually did miss that one, so I'll have to hope you're telling the truth lol. Still want a legitimate closer, although I do think Rondon is the best of the current group.

Like the sweep of Milwaukee a lot. Rondon made it quite interesting in the 9th (as usual jk lol) but got it done. First time since 2008, Cubs are 10 games above .500.

Had a feeling you'd comment about it...haha that was Rondon's worst outing in a long, long time. Team seems to be back on track.

Had a feeling you'd comment about it...haha that was Rondon's worst outing in a long, long time. Team seems to be back on track.
I'm glad you witnessed your purported 1-2-3 9th inning that I missed. Still waiting on 1 this season. @ Pittsburgh this week should be good. Lester needs to mow them down tomorrow.

At this point, I like LA or St Louis (maybe Washington) for the NL. AL, I like NY, KC, and possibly Houston. Toronto is ascending also. Getting Tulo and Price is no joke. Playoffs will be killer this October.

I'm glad you witnessed your purported 1-2-3 9th inning that I missed. Still waiting on 1 this season. @ Pittsburgh this week should be good. Lester needs to mow them down tomorrow.

At this point, I like LA or St Louis (maybe Washington) for the NL. AL, I like NY, KC, and possibly Houston. Toronto is ascending also. Getting Tulo and Price is no joke. Playoffs will be killer this October.

Lol I'm surprised you haven't witnessed any, but I usually don't worry about 1-2-3 ninths. At least until now (because of you ?). I'm with you on the playoffs, tho I'm hoping for the Mets because I don't think they will hit a lick during the playoffs. But at the same time, I gotta root for my boy Harper. This next week is huge for the Cubbies. Could be the most important week of the season. 3 against Pitt and 4 against SF.

Been out in the wilderness with minimal wifi action - would love to get some south of the border thoughts and perspective on the bold moves my Blue Jays made.

Hated the Tulo deal when it went down because I think Hoffman is going to be a stud (still agonize over what it would have been like to have Syndergaard, Sanchez, Stroman, Osuna, and Hoffman as a future rotation), but now it makes sense to have player control moving forward and another absolute stud in the lineup for the push this year.

I think Price is going to fall in love with this team. He already called yesterday the best atmosphere he's ever pitched in. That line up could win a game that I started and they're all going to be back next year (except for Navarro). I'm not expecting a home team discount, but with Dickey, Buerhle, and Navarro coming off the books, I think they could have room for a $30 million/season player.

The future took a massive hit (traded away 11 pitchers including Hoffman, Norris, and Castro), but this lineup is now insane, you have a true ace, and the bullpen has the potential to be lights out with Sanchez and Osuna pitching 8 and 9. It still boggles my mind that when healthy, their lineup will be Devon Travis (great rookie season), Josh Donaldson (MVP candidate), Jose Bautista (great OPS), Edwin Encarnacion (down season, but still should hit 25 HR), Tulo (best SS in baseball?), Russel Martin (All Star), Smoak/Navarro (good defense, a bit of pop), Kevin Pillar (really surprised with his amazing defence), and Ben Revere (singles machine, great base stealer). I really think they'll catch the Yanks (still have 13 games against them left).

Thoughts?