2015 MLB Season

I am just bustin your ball$ Rocket. I love this time of year. Got my season ticket package for the Dodgers 2 weeks ago. First game for me is next Monday. Do you go regularly?

It's an hour and a bit to get to Toronto, we go to a few games through the year. One night a season, wifey and I get a Skydome room and VIP seats for a game as well.

If the Expos come back, I'll make the trek for the first game. I lived in Montreal for ten great years...was present for Tony Gwynn's 3,000th hit...

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still all in on bryce Harper being an absolute stud for years to come

Bryce Harper is a stud, a proven one; they can both be studs. :)

I'm not sure why you think the Cubs are playing him like a fiddle...if it was half a season (say around June) they wouldn't do it. He is a Boras client and with the way free agency is these days, the Cubs have every right to keep in their ownership for an extra year. 12 days for 1 year...it makes too much sense.

Of course it makes sense, but that does not make it morally right. That is playing someone...

• 3 months later...

With the trade deadline approaching I thought I would revive this thread...or try to.

In a move that makes no sense to me, my beloved Blue Jays - owners of the most prolific offense in baseball, and using the equivalent of me as a 5th starter - went out and.....traded away 2 stud pitching prospects for more offense????

Unless another trade is coming down the pipe (maybe Encarnacion?) for starting pitching, I'm baffled. Hoffman was the one guy who was going to help me get over trading Syndergaard for Dickey a couple of years ago. This guy is a future ace.

No knock against Tulo. Great player. Just unnecessary....

Would like to see the Cubs land Tyson Ross if the price isn't too steep. Wouldn't mind a left handed bat off the bench that can play up the middle either.

At least Ross is locked up through 2017 so the cubs can continue on their never ending quest to build for the future.

There's always next year...

At least Ross is locked up through 2017 so the cubs can continue on their never ending quest to build for the future.

There's always next year...

I never considered this the year anyways...but it's not over. Still 2 more months. Next year is when I expect this team to really take off.

If either the Cubs or the Blue Jays can land a solid #2 in the offseason, they're both going to be really good next year (cue "you can say that about almost any team"). But they both have scary good offenses, decent depth guys, and just need guys to go out there and get a sub 4.00 era

If either the Cubs or the Blue Jays can land a solid #2 in the offseason, they're both going to be really good next year (cue "you can say that about almost any team"). But they both have scary good offenses, decent depth guys, and just need guys to go out there and get a sub 4.00 era

Most, including myself would consider Lester and Arrieta a great 1-2 at the top. Adding pitching never hurts tho, and I think Price will be on their radar this off-season.

Honestly, what the Cubs really need is for the young offense to keep improving. Their offense has been the biggest problem this year, but I think we all believe that won't last. They have tons of youth.

I agree on the Jays though. I think they need another dominant pitcher.

Edited by LasVegasIrish

I never considered this the year anyways...but it's not over. Still 2 more months. Next year is when I expect this team to really take off.

Wait until next year. Typical Cubs fan.

You seemed pretty excited at the beginning of this thread.

Lester is NOT a #1. If he is Cubs ace be t year they will be in the same place they are this year.

Wait until next year. Typical Cubs fan.

You seemed pretty excited at the beginning of this thread.

Lester is NOT a #1. If he is Cubs ace be t year they will be in the same place they are this year.

That's not what I said lol. I never said wait until next year. I'm very excited presently and about the Cubs future (not just next year). The fact is, they have 4 rookies in their everyday lineup. How many teams make the playoffs with that let alone win the World Series? That's my point. Going into this year I thought they'd win anywhere from 83-90 wins. Low side of that is not playoff caliber. Hell, 90 wins doesn't always make the playoffs. You completely misinterpreted my optimism and my lack of optimism.

In regards to Lester, take a look at his stats the last two months and throughout his career. He's a TOR arm. Plus, I think Arrieta is better anyways. Certainly they can be in contention and make the playoffs with those two at the top.

In fact, if you bothered to look back at my playoff predictions at the beginning of spring training...the Cubs weren't on there.

Edited by LasVegasIrish

Lester is NOT a #1.
Uh yeah he is. His ERA is still in the low 3s this season, and he always gets better as the season goes on. He's a 3x All Star, 2x World Champion (pitches great in postseason), thrown a no hitter, and is quite durable. He is undoubtedly a #1. Folks, the Cubs' starting pitching is not the problem. It's the offense and the bullpen. I cannot count how many leads they have blown this year.

Uh yeah he is. His ERA is still in the low 3s this season, and he always gets better as the season goes on. He's a 3x All Star, 2x World Champion (pitches great in postseason), thrown a no hitter, and is quite durable. He is undoubtedly a #1. Folks, the Cubs' starting pitching is not the problem. It's the offense and the bullpen. I cannot count how many leads they have blown this year.

Bullpen has had its ups and downs, but overall I've been fine with it. If Maddon didn't stray away from Rondon I don't think it would be an issue, and I'm glad to see him regain the closer's role. From late May until about mid July the Cubs bullpen has the best ERA in the bigs. Grimm, Strop, Rondon is a great 1-2-3, and a healthy Ramirez might have been the best set up man in baseball last year. Hopefully Edwards can bring another electric arm closer to the playoffs.

Bullpen has had its ups and downs, but overall I've been fine with it. If Maddon didn't stray away from Rondon I don't think it would be an issue, and I'm glad to see him regain the closer's role. From late May until about mid July the Cubs bullpen has the best ERA in the bigs. Grimm, Strop, Rondon is a great 1-2-3, and a healthy Ramirez might have been the best set up man in baseball last year. Hopefully Edwards can bring another electric arm closer to the playoffs.
They do not have a legitimate closer at all. Strop and Rondon have blown countless leads. I know you remember Strop's gem of giving up a 2 run shot to Peralta with 2 outs in the 9th with a 3-2 count to lose the game. This was after a blew a lead to them in the 8th a couple weeks earlier. Their bullpen has little to no confidence. I watch nearly every game. There has not been 1 game all season that the Cubs' bullpen has had a 1-2-3 9th while attempting to preserve the W. The best mlb teams have strong bullpens, and the Cubs' is a liability currently.

They do not have a legitimate closer at all. Strop and Rondon have blown countless leads. I know you remember Strop's gem of giving up a 2 run shot to Peralta with 2 outs in the 9th with a 3-2 count to lose the game. This was after a blew a lead to them in the 8th a couple weeks earlier. Their bullpen has little to no confidence. I watch nearly every game. There has not been 1 game all season that the Cubs' bullpen has had a 1-2-3 9th while attempting to preserve the W. The best mlb teams have strong bullpens, and the Cubs' is a liability currently.

I think they will add a veteran piece to the pen today, because Medina should not be on the team. However, we will have to agree to disagree. I think Maddon messed up by taking Rondon out of the closer's role. The guy has been pretty much lights out all year. I think the best bullpens leave guys in certain roles and they become comfortable with that role, and Maddon seems to like mixing it up. Motte should have never been closing...at best he is middle relief help. He can't (and won't) throw anything besides a fastball.

I personally believe the 7-8-9 innings are fine and will be fine if she just sticks with a few guys. Wood has been a good LOOGY and situational lefty since moving to the pen. They can definitely add in the back end of the pen though. Not confident in Motte, Soriano (thought that can change), Medina, and to a certain extent Russell. If Ramirez was healthy that would be a big boost, but who knows if he will be the same. Maybe we will have to wait until next year for him. I also think Edwards will be called up in the next month.

Rumors are they will probably aquire Tommy Hunter from the Orioles. That would help in middle relief.