Lacrosse

It really is an awesome sport. Very fun!

I'm still quite disappointed with the results of yesterday but it is a little easier to understand now that I know Kav was hurt. Still sucks!

It's not hard to see why it's popularity has grown exponentially in less than a decade. Honestly, I would have picked lax over baseball growing up if it was available.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not hard to see why it's popularity has grown exponentially in less than a decade. Honestly, I would have picked lax over baseball growing up if it was available.

I feel totally cheated that I couldn't play LAX growing up. It's an awesome sport. I helped coach a middle school team this year and they allow a lot more contact than college. Sounds crazy but they really do. The sport has a touch of football with a motion style basketball offense in it. Really fun.

Maybe bc it's not his fault his star player was absent the entire game? Unless something drastic happens next year, I don't see why this team wouldn't win a title. Perkovic, Kavanaugh, Wynne all back.

This team lost way to much, defense took a hit also. This years team was the team to win it all. Everything was set up perfectly, Duke, Cuse, etc all losing. I guess this university enjoys top 4 finishes each year. I know I sure don't.

This team lost way to much, defense took a hit also. This years team was the team to win it all. Everything was set up perfectly, Duke, Cuse, etc all losing. I guess this university enjoys top 4 finishes each year. I know I sure don't.

Things were really set up well for the Irish this year. In all honesty, this was their year to win it. They had the team and the talent and the brackets were falling into place...obviously with the exception of Denver... Kavanagh being hurt KILLED them. When healthy, he couldn't be stopped and totally opened things up for players like Wynne...Notice how he became invisible the past month since Kav has been hurt. Basically losing Kav, which they did, is like losing your starting QB or losing Jerian Grant...

BUT ND will be back in it next year.

Key players they are losing: O'sello, Near, Doyle and Marlatt....They also lose Will Corrigan...which in all honesty is a BIG plus as he was okay, but should have been replaced with younger, better talent.

Most of what they lose is on offense, NOT defense.

Kav will be a senior, Perk is back. Wynne will be better. Basically their whole second line midfield is back.

They will be set on Defense....Landis is back, Epple, Sexton, Doss.

Not to mention they are recruiting lights out. I expect another trip to championship weekend next year and from there, like any sport, the chips just have to fall in the right place!

Why not blame the coach? Just, no idea how one could be still a coach and have no championships. Yes, he has great teams every year, but it's embarrassing to not win one eventually.

Would you have replaced Dan Marino as your quarterback at any point during his career because he didn't win a Superbowl? What an embarrassing career he had huh?

Corrigan is a top 5 coach in the country; he took a fledgling program that is the geographic equivalent of Alaska in the lacrosse world and made it a national powerhouse. For perspective: I played in a few all star games in the spring of 2002 and when I told the other kids I was going to ND, some responded "they have a team?"

I would argue this was not their year, next year is. The elite players return, the entire defense returns and Wynne will have a year to gain weight and develop a dodging repertoire.

Would you have replaced Dan Marino as your quarterback at any point during his career because he didn't win a Superbowl? What an embarrassing career he had huh?

Corrigan is a top 5 coach in the country; he took a fledgling program that is the geographic equivalent of Alaska in the lacrosse world and made it a national powerhouse. For perspective: I played in a few all star games in the spring of 2002 and when I told the other kids I was going to ND, some responded "they have a team?"

I would argue this was not their year, next year is. The elite players return, the entire defense returns and Wynne will have a year to gain weight and develop a dodging repertoire.

This year was their year, and tectonically last year as well. This team lost way to much IMO. Also, Marino is a bit of a different story than ND lax.

Some people blame the coach no matter what. I thought he did a great job in the second half going to the 10 man ride to neutralize getting destroyed at the X.

So Denver ousted Maryland 10-5. They really moved the ball well to score, totally ball hawked Maryland's offense down low, and then did their best stalling tactics to get the victory.

It's REALLY too bad ND didn't pull it out against denver because I am quite sure ND would have taken it to maryland too. They just didn't have the fire power that ND or Denver had. Still peaved that ND didn't win it this year but, once again, it was a great, fun ride the Irish gave everyone! Already looking forward to next year!

This year was their year, and tectonically last year as well. This team lost way to much IMO. Also, Marino is a bit of a different story than ND lax.

This time last year you said the same thing, the board proceeded to laugh at you, and oddly enough they were the #1 team in the country for half the season.

Flag this post and we'll re-evaluate next May: barring injuries, ND will have a top 5 seed in the 2016 NCAA tournament.

This time last year you said the same thing, the board proceeded to laugh at you, and oddly enough they were the #1 team in the country for half the season.

Flag this post and we'll re-evaluate next May: barring injuries, ND will have a top 5 seed in the 2016 NCAA tournament.

Again, what does number 1 have to do with anything?????????????????? Yet, again they lose in the tourney. Seems to me you like losing? What does being good in the regular season have to do with anything? Only, difference if they would of won the conference.

Again, what does number 1 have to do with anything?????????????????? Yet, again they lose in the tourney. Seems to me you like losing? What does being good in the regular season have to do with anything? Only, difference if they would of won the conference.

In all honesty, ND has turned itself into a lacrosse powerhouse. They've been killing it for a while. Unfortunately, things just aren't falling their way come tourney time. In 2010, they had Duke on the ropes, went into OT, lost the face and that was it. Last year, they had Duke on the ropes, but just ran out of time. This year, they have a valiant comeback, the ball is in Kav's stick for a win and he loses it. Then the refs call a phantom push and Denver escapes. By the way....It's been confirmed that Kavanagh has been playing hurt for 3 months....bad leg, hip, and ankle. If he's healthy, they win it. Long story short, things still need to fall your way to win a championship...That just hasn't happened.....but it doesn't take away from the program they have created!

Why not blame the coach? Just, no idea how one could be still a coach and have no championships. Yes, he has great teams every year, but it's embarrassing to not win one eventually.

What do these basketball coaches have in common?

Brad Stevens, Tex Winter, P. J. Carlesimo, Lou Carnesecca, Rick Majerus, Digger Phelps, Ray Meyer, Thad Matta, Lou Henson, Dale Brown, Eddie Sutton, Ben Howland

Answer: all of them have at least one Final Four appearance but never won it all. I guess that their careers were embarrassing.

Also note that Dean Smith did not win his first championship until his seventh trip to the Final Four. Coach K and Roy Williams did not win their first until their fifth Final Four as well.

What do these basketball coaches have in common?

Brad Stevens, Tex Winter, P. J. Carlesimo, Lou Carnesecca, Rick Majerus, Digger Phelps, Ray Meyer, Thad Matta, Lou Henson, Dale Brown, Eddie Sutton, Ben Howland

Answer: all of them have at least one Final Four appearance but never won it all. I guess that their careers were embarrassing.

Also note that Dean Smith did not win his first championship until his seventh trip to the Final Four. Coach K and Roy Williams did not win their first until their fifth Final Four as well.

Again, LAX is a different sport. 200+ teams in basketball, 119 in football. There are 69 in LAX, and which only about 40 are some what competitive. Making a comparison to those coaches, and Corrigan is ridiculous.

Again, LAX is a different sport. 200+ teams in basketball, 119 in football. There are 69 in LAX, and which only about 40 are some what competitive. Making a comparison to those coaches, and Corrigan is ridiculous.

My point is that winning a championship is hard (regardless of the sport) and a coaching career without a title is not necessarily embarrassing.

InsideLacrosse.com's way too early 2016 rankings.....

5. Harvard (7-7)

Final top 20: Unranked

Something doesn’t add up with the Crimson. The roster has plenty of talent and the coaching staff works hard, though it will include a couple new faces in 2016. Will the blend of old and new coaches be able to, as the British say, “stretch the enthusiasm” of their young charges? Are the players even interested in taking advisement from their elders? A monster senior class might well do some big things in 2016.

4. Maryland (15-4, lost in NCAA Title Game)

Final poll: No. 3

As with many other teams, the Terrapins have a formula that works. For them, it’s winning face-offs, taking good shots on offense and playing excellent team defense. Face-offs may not dip as much as it looks: The wings, junior Isaiah Davis-Allen and sophomore Matt Neufeldt, are the best in the game.

3. Johns Hopkins (11-7, lost in NCAA Semifinals)

Final poll: No. 5

The offense was as advertised – clinical and efficient, with a dash of speed thrown in. The defense was up and down, though it served as a good reminder: The Blue Jays always improve on ‘D’ as the season progresses. That in itself is a challenge these days. With the Big Ten insisting on having the final six weekends of the season, the Blue Jays can expect front-loaded schedules. Many of their best nonconference games will come while the defense is still finding itself. The Blue Jays may not knock ‘em dead in recruiting rankings on defense. But the game’s overall trend has been toward offense, and that’s where coach Dave Pietramala has focused the program’s recruiting energy. Incredible to think that every top six midfielder and two starting attackmen will be back.

2. Denver (17-2, won NCAA Title)

Final top 20: No. 1

There is so much offensive talent back with juniors Connor Cannizzaro (57G,33A), Zach Miller (26,35) and Tyler Pace (22G,27A), along with sophomore Trevor Baptiste (68% face-offs). But the losses on defense and in goal will be too much for the Pioneers to win back-to-back titles. Overall, the talent on the roster should be alarming to Denver’s opponents. The next big player to emerge? My money is on sophomore A-M Brendan Bomberry (4G,4A).

1. Notre Dame (12-3, lost in NCAA Semifinals)

Final top 20: No. 2

The Irish have lost to the eventual national champion in eight of the past 10 NCAA Tournaments. They aren’t missing by much. Face-offs are a worry, but the close defense, SSDMs and goalie play will be fine. And any offense with senior Matt Kavanagh (27G,25A), sophomore Mikey Wynne (33G) and junior Sergio Perkovic (34G) is going to be difficult to stop. The Irish reach the summit in 2016.

• 2 months later...

Nick Osello is now playing football. Walked on as a safety, and BK says he will get plugged in right away on special teams. Good for him. Hopefully ND continues to recruit athletes like this for lacrosse!

Nick Osello is now playing football. Walked on as a safety, and BK says he will get plugged in right away on special teams. Good for him. Hopefully ND continues to recruit athletes like this for lacrosse!

That guy is a super athlete, and really the archetype of the modern lacrosse superstar.

We just made LaCrosse a Varsity sport at HSE and Fishers high schools for boys and girls. This is an up and coming sport.

Awesome. It is definitely rising. The county I live in went from zero school organizations in 2009 that had lacrosse up to 240 today. Still feel cheated that I couldn't play it growing up but am getting my fill with my boys the last few years!