Recommended TV shows

Similar to the Recommended Books thread and the one on Walking Dead. Just a heads up for those who are looking for a good TV series for entertainment or education.

For education, I am a sucker for any of the BBC nature shows. Usually David Attenborough is the narrator. They are all pretty good.

Best series I have watched is THE WIRE. I have googled it and that seems to be the consensus out there. The Sopranos is not far behind based on people's votes. I loved the Wire although the last season did jump the shark for me.

I am a big fan of TrueBlood. Modern day southern gothic with vampires, werewolves, fairies, shape shifters and others walking amongst us normal folk.

I have enjoyed Bones a whole bunch. The characters they created I think are very good.

Walking Dead grabbed me and that surprised me.

Weeds really cracked me up. The only 30 minute show on my list but 7 or so seasons. Lots of good characters.

Lessor shows that are other's favorites are Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under, Once Upon a Time. Madmen I never got into.

Which shows am I missing?

P.S. Can't believe I missed Sons of Anarchy.

Edited by REMND

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For people with a similar sense of humor as me (the immature kind): some of my favorite comedies are Trailer Park Boys, Archer, The League, and Workaholics.

House of Cards is a new show that I really enjoy. It's exclusively on Netflix and they released the first entire season at one time.

I haven't watched it yet, but everyone raves about The Following. I think they are ~5 episodes in.

I really love the Newsroom. It's an HBO series starring Jeff Daniels. They are one season in and the second season starts in June I think.

Entourage is a show that I followed and enjoyed. They did 8 seasons and are releasing a movie. Another HBO series.

Community is another good comedy. They are on their 4th season, I think.

I haven't watched the Wire yet, I guess that's on the list for me now.

The Wire - the best TV series ever made.

The Shield - The police protect us from criminals. Who will protect us from the police? ;)

Justified - Timothy Olyphant was born to play US marshals and sheriffs.

Sherlock - Benedict Cumberbatch & Martin Freeman. Nuff said.

Game of Thrones - boobs, sex, blood plus good writing and Peter Dinklage as a Tyrion Lannister.

The Newsroom - a little bit too idealistic vision of the media, but it's really good TV show

House of Cards - Kevin Spacey as a Frank Underwood. Do you need any other recommendation?

Generation Kill - the best TV productions about war in Iraq/Afghanistan.

Suits - Great TV series after hard day at work when you want just have fun in front of the TV.

Castle - Moonlighting 2.0 but with much better chemistry between two main characters. Plus awesomely super hot Stana Katic.

Edited by Krsta

Blue Mountain State is what you're looking for.....absolutely hilarious

YUP! Haha, I forgot all about that show but I have seen it all the way through. Definitely high quality TV right there.

1. Family Guy

2. Breaking Bad

3. Deadwood

4. Boardwalk Empire

I might be old or out of touch but I have watched about 15 mins total of those shows. And the 15 mins was family guy many years ago .

I have little extra time,

I watch Suits, Shark tank, Castle, and MLB preseason. I know those shows you guys gave posted are great but I can catch up on Netflix someday. Maybe

My wife and I are TV-aholics.

Boardwalk Empire

Breaking Bad

Sons of Anarchy

Dexter

True Blood

Walking Dead

Being Human

Lost Girl

New Girl - one of the funniest shows I've ever watched

The Following - new this season, pretty darn good so far

Spartacus - in its last season this year and they are going for broke on blood and boobs, #winning

Franklin and Bash - funny and clever, short seasons though it seems

Mad Men - not much action but very witty and thought-provoking

Game of Thrones - epic, that is all

I know there are more and the first part of my list is roughly in order of incredible to really good, then I just started throwing in more shows at the end :) Having 5 tuners in our house is a must for DVR.

Watch a bit of TV fan myself my order of regular shows and then reality shows,

Game of thrones: Awesome!!

True Bloods: More my wifes deal but I enjoy the sex and boobs and have gotten into it now

Elementry: Even though Watson is a girl I like it.

Bones: Always been a fan

Spartacus: Blood, boobs, gore, fighting who could ask for more

Person of interest: cool show

Reality shows...

Deadliest catch: still great!

Mudcats: Dont know why but I like this show

Lizard lick towing: I know its set up but it makes for a good laugh

Swamp people: another dont know why I like it but I do.

Wicked tuna: cool show but get tired of the complaining

Alaska State Troopers: People be crazy up there!

Edited by J.P.

Amazing shows:

-The Wire

My favorite show of all time. I've never seen a show so realistic and gripping in my life. In fact, many of the cast members were real people from Baltimore and ex-criminals/gang members. Give it a chance as it's a show that slowly builds in the beginning, but then blows your mind. Gangs, unions, politics, education, media... it covers a lot of different ground.

-Game of Thrones

I really never anticipated watching this show, but everyone was talking about it at work so I decided to give it a chance and was not disappointed. If you like fantasy you'll love this show. I also like the fact that the characters aren't predictable and really anything can happen in the show.

-Parks & Recreation

In my opinion, the best comedy show on TV right now. I think it's far better than the Office ever was. That's just my opinion. I think they're so many different and likable characters on this show. Definitely start with season 2 though as season 1 was a work in progress and didn't have much direction.

-Breaking Bad

This is probably my second favorite series of all-time. The whole show just spirals out of control as you delve deeper and the character growth is just phenomenal. It's a depressing and dark show, but if you like that sort of thing you'll enjoy this show immensely. It's a show about a cancer stricken chemistry teacher and he starts to sell meth to help his family out. I mean come on... that's an incredible plot that you can do tons with.

Great shows:

-Dexter

This used to be my favorite show in the world seasons 1 through 4. It was charming, thrilling, comical and just downright badass. But the show does jump the shark a bit after season 4. Still, a very entertaining show that's better than most stuff on TV.

-American Horror Story

Not much people talk about this one. It's a great show on FX and I've been digging it a lot lately. If you like the horror genre you'll like this show a lot. Warning: It's pretty graphic and at times undeniably messed up. I mean, it's a pretty grotesque show. Seriously.

That was the main ones I would go with.

The most common mentions seem to be the Wire, Sopranos. Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and Dexter. I have seen all of them rated in the top 20 best series.

It is curious that TrueBlood is the only fantasy/scifi show mentioned. No mention of Battlestar Galactica, Stargate series, Grimm, Firefly or similar shows.

The most common mentions seem to be the Wire, Sopranos. Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and Dexter. I have seen all of them rated in the top 20 best series.

It is curious that TrueBlood is the only fantasy/scifi show mentioned. No mention of Battlestar Galactica, Stargate series, Grimm, Firefly or similar shows.

Battlestar Galactica reboot is fantastic. People who haven't seen it, scough, thinking about the mildly cheesy original. It has one of my favorite endings to any TV show in history. It's top 5 plots of all time TV history. Firefly...RIP.

Doctor Who is my current obsession. I spent the last 2 months getting caught up and it was so worth it. I shut the door to my office and was watching...

http://i.imgur.com/w3AYul.jpg

It's got some really quality science fiction, the acting is top notch, and there is a surprising amount of suspenseful horror elements.

http://i.imgur.com/P5uCo.gif

The budget in the first season isn't nearly as high as it eventually gets. I try to get people to watch Doctor Who and the first episode or two turns some people off. It really takes 3-4 episodes before you're invested, which some people aren't willing to spend the three hours needed. But oh man it pays off. What a fantastic series. Favorite episodes? The Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, Silence in the Library, The Impossible Astronaut, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.

Edited by piratey

I mentioned Being Human and Lost Girl. They're at least on SyFy :) My wife watches Firefly when it's on.

I just was not really familiar with them.

I have now ordered Lost girls from the library. For some reason, English syfy does't capture me. I do not know why that is because I often like English shows.

Edited by REMND