Recommended TV shows

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing shows:

-The Wire

My favorite show of all time. I've never seen a show so realistic and gripping in my life. In fact, many of the cast members were real people from Baltimore and ex-criminals/gang members. Give it a chance as it's a show that slowly builds in the beginning, but then blows your mind. Gangs, unions, politics, education, media... it covers a lot of different ground.

-American Horror Story

Not much people talk about this one. It's a great show on FX and I've been digging it a lot lately. If you like the horror genre you'll like this show a lot. Warning: It's pretty graphic and at times undeniably messed up. I mean, it's a pretty grotesque show. Seriously.

That was the main ones I would go with.

I don't want to give spoilers for people who will just tune in to some of the recommendations so I'll speak in generalities.

The Wire: Seasons 1, 3 and 4 are simply genius.

I thought the focus on the port and The Greek in Season Two took too much away from the Barksdale, police and political interplay.

The show show jumped the shark in Season 5 with the fake serial killer angle. In between all of that is as good as any television I've ever seen.

American Horror: I gave up on Season 1 about 2.5 episodes in. I thought the second season was awesome in the first half then totally fell apart.

I'll add:

Deadwood: Maybe my favorite show ever. I didn't think there was any fall off as the seasons progressed.

Sons of Anarchy: Not as good as early seasons but still highly watchable.

The Americans: It's set in the early 80s and features two Russian spies who have assimilated into American culture.

The Following

I just was not really familiar with them.

I have now ordered Lost girls from the library. For some reason, English syfy does't capture me. I do not know why that is because I often like English shows.

Being Human on SyFy is an American TV show. It's based on a Euro TV show of the same name, but I don't think it's still running. I personally enjoy BH more than Lost Girl in terms of story and acting, but the eye candy in Lost Girl is, um, appealing.

Family Guy

Dexter

Breaking Bad

Walking Dead

Game of Thrones

House of Lies

Lie to Me

Big Bang Theory

Modern Family

Archer

Anything Justin Bieber related

I'm not normally a big sci-fi type of guy, but we watched Merlin (BBC Series) on Netflix and really liked it. They have the first 4 seasons on there.

One other thing. For those with Netflix, I would recommend also signing up for Amazon Prime. It is $80 per year. For that you get free 2 day shipping on roughly 2/3rds of the items on Amazon. Almost EVERYTHING is cheaper on Amazon btw. Also included is a year long subscription to Amazon Instant Video. It is their version of Netflix and opens up a host of other streaming selections. Basically, we recouped the $80 membership fee in one month of free shipping and get the Amazon Instant Video on top of it. Great deal.

In order of awesomeness....

1) Sons of Anarchy - probably need to start at season 1 for you to really like it

2) Justified - This show is fantastic, and the cast couldn't be better

3) Big Bang Theory

4) Game of Thrones

5) The Glades

6) Top Gear UK

7) Dexter - same as SoA - watch from the beginning

8) True Blood - this one is just "ok" but they have the prefect balance between crappy story and boobs

9) Top Gear US

10) The Mentalist

One of my all time favorite shows appears to be in Limbo and though no officially canceled, the show also doesn't have a plan to do the next season so I left it off the list.....however, I highly recommend hitting up Destination Truth on Netflix when you have a free minute.

I have ordered Lost Girls and Being Human (US) from the Library.

Deadwood received a lot of thumbs up and I have it on my library list. Everyone says it is a keeper. I have to wait until I get rid of some that are lying around waiting to be watched while their due date approaches.

Then I will order Deadwood from the library.

No one mentioned Once upon a Time. I got it from Netflix and watched it with half an eye. Not impressed. Then it came in from the library so I started it again. I got hooked. Those who like mixed fantasy real world stuff should try it. It is a show where fairy book characters live in the present day because of a curse by the evil queen against Snow White and others.

It might take a few shows to keep the plot and characters straight but it is worth it.

Have been watching tons of old cartoons with my son.

Season 1 GI Joe is fantastic. Incredible characters and story lines.

For all the advancements in technology nothing touches retro or Hanna Barbara cartoons

Also enjoy anything on History Channel, How the States got Their Shapes was excellent.

That is the type of education shows that I like. I will have to try it at my Library.

Oh, along the lines of Syfy fantasy shows, I am watching Alphas which I had never heard of but find very interesting. Poeple with super human traits that walk around us and solve crimes. Sounds a little like X-men or the 4400.

I will confirm the following shows:

1) Game of Thrones - I'd suggest reading the books first. Disclaimer, I typically hate this topic (kings, crowns, dragons, etc.) This is amazing and worth your time!

2) New Girl - Another show, similar to Game of Thrones, that I refused to watch but now ranks at the top of my list.

3) House of Cards - I just started watching this and love it.

4) Modern Family - Was my favorite comedy until New Girl game around. Still a hilarious show (for us middle-aged people.)

Agree that Top Gear UK is entertaining, but it falls on my list of things to watch after I've emptied my DVR of my top shows. Same goes for Parks and Rec.

I was not a fan of Once Upon a Time, but I only gave it 2 episodes and am typically not a fan of fantasy shows.

I watched a couple of episodes of Boardwalk Empire and loved it but didn't have time to watch more at the time. I may try to pick that one up again.

I'll definitely check The Wire out...

That is the type of education shows that I like. I will have to try it at my Library.

Oh, along the lines of Syfy fantasy shows, I am watching Alphas which I had never heard of but find very interesting. Poeple with super human traits that walk around us and solve crimes. Sounds a little like X-men or the 4400.

Watch Doctor Who!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DOiC3bUiBS8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

English syfy stuff. It is probably because of lower quality special effects.

Anyway, I will just put Dr. Who on my library list and try a few episodes. I did that with Entourage and Curb Your Enthusiasm and neither one made the cut. I tried it with the Wire and watched every show one after the other. The library system works very well for me. If I like the show after tasting it and the waiting list is too long, I use Netflix. For example, when the next True blood comes out, I will get it from Netflix before the library.

English syfy stuff. It is probably because of lower quality special effects.

Anyway, I will just put Dr. Who on my library list and try a few episodes. I did that with Entourage and Curb Your Enthusiasm and neither one made the cut. I tried it with the Wire and watched every show one after the other. The library system works very well for me. If I like the show after tasting it and the waiting list is too long, I use Netflix. For example, when the next True blood comes out, I will get it from Netflix before the library.

The first season definitely had lower quality special effects. But it steadily increased to the point where it's movie quality now.

I was not a fan of Once Upon a Time, but I only gave it 2 episodes and am typically not a fan of fantasy shows.

I had a similar experience. I got few episodes on A Netflix disc and watched them with half an eye. It did not capture me. I had also reserved the first year of shows at the library and forgot I did that until it came in. When it did I decided to watch it and I got hooked. Now I am eagerly waiting for the next season.

P.S. I did order Dr. Who from the library. I am number 7 on 14 copies that are already out. That means about 3 weeks or more before I get it since you can keep DVDs for two weeks. Borrowers keep TV series, which usually have 5 or so discs, longer than single disk movies so they usually keep them all two weeks.

Edited by REMND

I forgot about most important fantasy TV show of my childhood: BBC's Robin of Sherwood with amazing music written by
. This TV show and Thorgal comic books made me geek.

I enjoyed the group Clannad. Then I found out that the group was largely comprised of the siblings of Enya and that she was a member at some point. I liked her music as well.

What on earth are you doing in Warsaw?

H2 (the channel) is excellent as well

Have you read "The Dark Tower" by Stephen King? I highly suggest it if not.

Why aren't The X-Files in syndication? I see reruns on BBCAmerica every blue moon but that is it.

@REMND:

I live there, I'm Polish. :)

Okay, I guess my question should have been be how on earth did you find this board?

I would think that a lot of the shows we mention here would have little interest to you. Do people in Poland follow any of them?