Recommended TV shows

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying Deadwood. I read the book and the show reflects those lawless times.

It is a good historical drama of a part of our history. I bet there are a lot of fans of that show. Everyone has to watch their back all the time. Everyone has to be their own sheriff. Some folks probably yearn to live in those times. The lure of gold and riches while living in a lawless town.

On a business trip last week, I went on a two day bender of BBC's Sherlock. Oh man, if any show is at the top of a must watch list, it's that one. Benedict Cumberbach is absolutely fantastic as a modern day Sherlock. Each season is 3 episodes, 90minutes a pop. They essentially are a movie unto themselves, with one case per and one 'arc' per season. Cumberbach is going to star of the new Star Trek movie as the villain and Martin Freeman as Watson(Bilbo in Peter Jackson's Hobbit) is also exemplary.

I did see that Sherlock. About 6 episodes and the last one really was the last one. That threw me for a loop.

A similar show that you might enjoy was Wire in the Blood. It had the advantage of 5 or so seasons. I was impressed.

I did see that Sherlock. About 6 episodes and the last one really was the last one. That threw me for a loop.

A similar show that you might enjoy was Wire in the Blood. It had the advantage of 5 or so seasons. I was impressed.

They are filming the third season and they are signed up for a fourth.

• 3 weeks later...

piratey, I just finished first season of Doctor Who after reboot. Yes, special effects were really cheap (Slitheens), first five episodes weren't so great, but "Dalek" episode compensated the earlier shortcomings. Second part of the season was really good and second two-part ("The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances") was truly amazing.

piratey, I just finished first season of Doctor Who after reboot. Yes, special effects were really cheap (Slitheens), first five episodes weren't so great, but "Dalek" episode compensated the earlier shortcomings. Second part of the season was really good and second two-part ("The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances") was truly amazing.

Dalek was the turning point in the series IMO. Get ready for David Tennant, he's beyond fantastic as the Doctor.

It's kinda funny you point toward Empty Child and Doctor Dances, as they are Steven Moffat written episodes. He also wrote Blink, The Girl in the Fireplace, Silence in the Library...pretty much the most iconic episodes. Russell T Davies was replaced as the series head in 2010 by the aforementioned Steven Moffat. Moffat also created/wrote the fantastic "Sherlock" show.

The new season is back on now, complete with a new companion for Matt Smith's doctor. Unsure how I feel about the new companion, as well as the episodic nature of the three episodes thus far. Then again it always takes me a while to settle into a new companion.(Or in the case of Martha Jones, I never settle in)

Edited by piratey

I tried Doctor Who and the first few episodes did not grab me. I did not watch it very closely though. I sometimes do that. Just watch while strumming a guitar or something and waiting for the show to grab me.

I have tried Lost though. It grabbed me very quickly. Then it got a little weird but still kept a hold on me. I am now about to start the 3rd season. It is still a little strange with the bizarre twists and turns but I have been snagged because I want to see what happens to the characters. They are not shy about offing characters I like.

Deadwood I tried as well because of compliments here for the show. Yes, it is good.

Is this the golden age of TV despite the abundance of reality shows which I do not like? Some of these shows are truly excellent in my mind. Good writing. Good characters. There is something for everyone it seems. The good shows seem to come mostly from cable I think but I am not sure.

piratey, I read somewhere that "Dalek" was planned as a third episode of the series, but it was postponed because they didn't finish special effects.

I just watched Christmas episode with Tennant, so I know that Tenth Doctor is a different kind of animal. The same, but different. ;)

Besides gifs I didn't seen anything from seventh season, but but from what I saw and heard there is good chemistry between her and the Doctor.

BTW, I need to respond to your geek topic.

REMND, give it try one more time and watch episodes which I mentioned above or one the episodes from season two with Tenth Doctor. Second part of first season is much more better. Or maybe Ninth Doctor isn't your Doctor. It's worth of it.

piratey, I read somewhere that "Dalek" was planned as a third episode of the series, but it was postponed because they didn't finish special effects.

I just watched Christmas episode with Tennant, so I know that Tenth Doctor is a different kind of animal. The same, but different. ;)

Besides gifs I didn't seen anything from seventh season, but but from what I saw and heard there is good chemistry between her and the Doctor.

BTW, I need to respond to your geek topic.

REMND, give it try one more time and watch episodes which I mentioned above or one the episodes from season two with Tenth Doctor. Second part of first season is much more better. Or maybe Ninth Doctor isn't your Doctor. It's worth of it.

He quotes the Lion King! :)

Sadly the geek thread seemed to die in obscurity, we nerdy sports fans are out, but many remain in the closet ;)

Where's this geek thread I missed out on?

Also, here's a fun-for-the-whole-family show: Avatar: the Last Airbender. It's an animated Nickelodeon show that's also on Netflix. I just got done with the series and I'm a single, childless, 24-year-old. I loved it.

Where's this geek thread I missed out on?

Also, here's a fun-for-the-whole-family show: Avatar: the Last Airbender. It's an animated Nickelodeon show that's also on Netflix. I just got done with the series and I'm a single, childless, 24-year-old. I loved it.

The follow up to Avatar, Legend of Kora is equally fantastic. Second season this summer, I am real pumped! 28, married and childless. I'm just a huge closet nerd.