DomerDomain Poster Bios

Dan Gable lived in your basement!!! Holy leapin lizards Batman!!

Being from Oklahoma we know all about Dan Gable. Legendary wrestler. I went to Oklahoma State and hung out with national champions. One of them was my fraternity brother, Geof Baum from Allenstown Pennsylvania. Quite a story Mike. Welcome aboard.

Yep, our basement, for 2 years. He turned out to be quite a legend in the wrestling world. My dad was pretty close with Johnny Majors, Joe Avezzano and Jackie Sherrill while they all coached at Iowa State. Apparently, they all were pretty good friends.

On a side note, my dad also dated Dan Gable's sister while they were in high school so Dan knew my dad well before Iowa State. The sad part of the story is that Diane, Dan's sister, was murdered while they were dating. I only found out about the whole story a few years back. My uncle and dad were talking and he told my dad that Diane's killer had died in prison. Pretty scary and tough stuff for my dad to even talk about. He was obviously cleared of any wrongdoing, but had been with her just minutes before she was killed. I will attach a link to the story if you care to read it.

http://wcfcourier.com/a-look-back-at-the-diane-gable-murder/article_fed2a6b4-9916-11e0-bf86-001cc4c002e0.html

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, Faith In Irish.

Four Horsemen, I was born in Blackhawk County and still have quite a bit of family in Iowa, including a cousin there in Des Moines and another cousin that works for The University of Iowa. There are other cousins, uncles and aunts, all Hawkeye fans through and through. I don't count myself as a fan but I do follow Iowa and catch their games when I can. Just the other day I was wearing a Hawkeye t-shirt with a Notre Dame cap. :smile:

It must be interesting having Hawkeye and Cyclone fans under one roof. They always seem to find a way to give the Hawkeyes fits.

Yep, our basement, for 2 years. He turned out to be quite a legend in the wrestling world. My dad was pretty close with Johnny Majors, Joe Avezzano and Jackie Sherrill while they all coached at Iowa State. Apparently, they all were pretty good friends.

On a side note, my dad also dated Dan Gable's sister while they were in high school so Dan knew my dad well before Iowa State. The sad part of the story is that Diane, Dan's sister, was murdered while they were dating. I only found out about the whole story a few years back. My uncle and dad were talking and he told my dad that Diane's killer had died in prison. Pretty scary and tough stuff for my dad to even talk about. He was obviously cleared of any wrongdoing, but had been with her just minutes before she was killed. I will attach a link to the story if you care to read it.

http://wcfcourier.com/a-look-back-at-the-diane-gable-murder/article_fed2a6b4-9916-11e0-bf86-001cc4c002e0.html

WOW. So sad for your dad. That is an amazing story. Thanks for sharing that with us.

hi my name is matt, i am 33 years old

i am thrice divorced and i live in a van down by the river.

i am a motivation speaker who likes coffee and No-doz.

i happen to be a horrible drinker.

you probably think your going to get the world by a string and put it in your pocket. im here to to tell you that your probably going to end up with Jack SQuat!!!

http://dailyduel.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/matt_foley1.jpg?w=620

Hey guys. Newish to the boards so I thought I'd introduce myself.

My name is Andrew. I am 24 years old and live in Tucson, Arizona. I'm a recent graduate of Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts in hopes to become a renowned chef someday. Always wanted to go to Notre Dame but never had the grades to go. I winded up falling in love with the art of cooking.

Currently, I am living with my beautiful girlfriend of four years and our lazy cat. My girlfriend has to put up with my constant talk about Notre Dame football and my other sports teams. I've been a Notre Dame fan since I was in diapers. My father and grandfather (RIP) both went to Notre Dame (class of '76 and '53, respectively). Although I've never been to a Notre Dame home game, I will someday soon. The only Notre Dame game I've been to was their loss to USC in overtime in 1996 at the Coliseum.

Other than Notre Dame, I love the Cleveland Indians, the Cleveland Browns, Chicago Bulls, and Philadelphia Flyers. I'm a huge professional wrestling fan, comic book nerd, foodie, music snob 8-), and movie collector.

Someday I would like to move to San Diego and also write a graphic novel.

marcwithglasses here with some background about myself.

i've been holding it down since 1978, inherented all sports teams from my dad.

my 1st nd game was lou's 1st year 1986 w/ a loss to pitt and ironhead heyward 10-9.

every year i'm at the spring game with my kids (twelve and eight) and attend a game here and there, but never the high profile one, it's more always vs the so-so opponents.

also a big irish b-ball fan!

also just recently realized (thanks to 30 for 30's 'fab five') that i was at the nd/um game were michigan started the fab5 for the very first time vs laphonso ellis.

known around these parts as being a bk hater...

and while i still remain frustrated despite the record (because 3/4 games could've gone either way) - i like winning - so i reserve judgement and enjoy the success no matter how unimpressive it all is.

wish and hope for improvement in disbelief, and happy to have bk prove me wrong.

477631_392643277424838_100000375065061_1223370_421068339_o.jpg.e9aad9992d1567069d8ab7144ac65bff.jpg

• Join Domer Domain

Members receive fewer ads and can participate in the forums.

• Topics

• The players are getting paid because there is a market that wants to see success on the field.  Because that market watches, advertisers pay a lot of money to be seen while that market watches.  In return, that advertising money comes back to the school in the form of millions of dollars in various ways.  Paying for better players means even more value for advertisers and more money for Notre Dame to build buildings or fund programs. The average student who goes to Notre Dame doesn’t generate millions of dollars for the school.  If they decide not to go there, someone else will fill the spot so they can have access to the excellent education funded by the football program and its players.  I don’t see why the university would pay students to come (except for the absolute brightest) when supply and demand is in Notre Dame’s favor in a big way.  The alums are part of the market that wants results on the field so their money goes towards those results which in turn increases value for Notre Dame, too.  Paying kids to come doesn’t have much benefit to those alums either… I get what’s being said about working hard to pay for your kid to go to college, but there are just too many folks in the same boat while a big source of revenue for schools is football…the value of the school increases if football thrives.  It’s simple business, unfortunately, and ordinary students are the consumer.  Nobody pays consumers if they want to stay in business.
    • OK, fine, I'm getting excited.   We've been winning a lot of these. My take:  Golden commit forces Zackery hand?  Takes the last ND DB spot? It's nothing but expeditious!  Was always the answer.  No other reason to move up his commitment.   I expect he will commit to his dream school for a shot at the Natty!  The synergy is real here.  It's the staff, too, but it's bigger.  Like minded kids.  And they're all conspiring to come together for the title shot, and this staff has them convinced it's in South Bend!  
    • Slight nit, take the government out of guaranteed student loans.  Single handedly has been the biggest cause of soaring tuition and crushing debt for borrowers. Otherwise I'm in between as far as NIL.  It's chaos currently and we are still in Flux with the changes that have happened and stuff that's still to come.  We are far from settled in this shifting landscape of college athletics.
    • Can't wait to see someone try and block a punt and end up with internal hemorrhaging...