DomerDomain Poster Bios

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello DD, I am 31 years old. I live in Ventura, California with my Beautiful wife and 2 year old daughter ( with another on the way:razz:). My Notre Dame obsession began in 1985 which was passed down to me. My Dad loved Notre Dame, He went to Indiana State University and went to ND games all the time. So my following of ND was passed down to me by my Dad and I am doing the same with my daughter( currently teaching her cheers to say). I am in Sales ( have been my whole adult life)....

Edited by cali_domer

Welcome cali domer!!

I have noticed you have become very active on the board already. Glad to have ya! :grin:

Yeah, I thought I just wanted to respond to one thing and that would be it. :razz: Love the Domer Domain... Thank you for the welcome.

Edited by cali_domer
God told me too

Guest SirJohn

Yep! It is great to have you here with the DD family. We do encourage anyone just joining to post away and not be intimidated by us old, old, guys with many posts, you will some day have many.:grin: Let us know when the baby is due, please. Super about your daughter at that age being ND. I did the same with two of my daughters.

SJ

Yep! It is great to have you here with the DD family. We do encourage anyone just joining to post away and not be intimidated by us old, old, guys with many posts, you will some day have many.:grin: Let us know when the baby is due, please. Super about your daughter at that age being ND. I did the same with two of my daughters.

SJ

Grooming my daughter to be a Notre Dame lover( Hopefully a Alum) was something I warned my wife about when we were just dating;), I always said to her that my Daughter or Son will grow to a lover of the greatest University in the world ( Just like me). We will be finding out the due date here real soon and I will let you know.:razz:

I suppose I'll toss my story in here. I've probably had one of the more unique paths to becoming an Irish fan.

I'm Dave, in my early 50's and am a fairly recent "Convert", hence the name. I'm married with a stepdaughter and step-granddaughter.

I grew up in central NJ, which wasn't a hotbed for college football. The nearest major college was Princeton so I didn't really follow college football when I was in HS but one of our main rivals was...Notre Dame HS. That did not bode well at the time.

After high school I followed college football more but mostly Iowa. Without any local teams outside the Ivy League and not having gone to college I went with home state loyalty. I was born and lived in Iowa for a time when I was a boy before we moved to NJ in the 60's. Being a long distance fan, I followed them like I did the Cowboys. Catch the games when you can(Much easier with the Cowboys), read The Sporting News or Sports Illustrated and I would call my uncle in Cedar Rapids to get more of a local view of them. I do still follow the Hawkeyes and catch their games when I can.

I've been a Dallas Cowboys fan since '71. In the late 70's and early 80's, where was our main rivals' QB Joe Theisman from? Notre Dame. Also in the same era, our team had the misfortune to lose in the playoffs to a certain QB playing for a certain team in California. The play is well known and I haven't watched a replay of it in all these years. That QB was of course, Joe Montana. Between old high school rivalries and Cowboys rivals' stars, Notre Dame became two four letter words to me. I was also one of those "Why are all ND games broadcast, who do they think they are?" types when they started their deal with NBC.

In the late 90's I was in the middle of a mid-life crisis. I was divorced and my social life was nil. I starting using the internet around that time and one night I met someone on AOL.(Yes, AOL. :madgrin: ) IMs turned to phone calls and one day six months later, she asked me to move out here. Ignoring her profile, which listed her location as "Home of the Fighting Irish", I figured "You know, why not?" I wasn't happy in NJ, the cost of living was getting out of hand and I had often thought of returning to the midwest, which had always felt more like home.

I talked about it off and on with a long time friend of mine and he half-jokingly said one time "Dave, you don't even like Notre Dame!". A month before I moved, I received a green Notre Dame t-shirt from her in the mail and I told him "Oh God, she's trying to indoctrinate me."

When I moved here in the fall of '98, football was in full swing but I never joined my not-at-that point wife to watch a game. I would go outside and work in the yard or watch a different game in another room. Same thing in '99 and '00.

In 2001, I started paying more attention to Davie's press conferences around here after a bad start and I started feeling for the players. By the time they were 3-5 I was rooting for them before I even realized it and I felt like those kids deserved better. Davie's continued banal demeanor only fueled it. I remember one PC where he had this goofy, clueless look on his face while he shrugged his shoulders when answering a question. Yes, Bob Davie was the one who initiated my path to fandom.

In 2002, my mother came out for a visit in October. Raised Catholic in Iowa, she had always wanted to visit Notre Dame so we took her to the campus. It was my first visit as well. I had scoffed when I had heard that it was some special place but I realized it was. I wouldn't go so far as to call it an aura but there is something about it that just reaches you, that you can feel. My "conversion" was complete.

Since then, I get the same heart palpitations leading up to game time, that impatience that used to be reserved for Cowboys games. I would get goosebumps when the pregame came on with NBC playing the music to the fight song. I haven't missed a game since.

Edited by Irish_Convert

Well that is one of the best stories I've ever heard Convert.

Welcome to the DD family and post away brother.

Will do, Chris. Like I said in one earlier post, I'm a night owl because of my schedule but I will put my two cents in now and again. This board seem to have a good balance between the number of posters, traffic and a lack of rival fans popping in to muck things up.

Guest SirJohn

BD Sheeley, Irish Convert welcome to DomerDomain and your extended family. It's great that you two chatted so soon and made contact. We are all here for you.

John

SJ

Guest DagstheIrishPiker

I grew up in Cork County...for those of you that dont know...thats a part of Ireland. I now reside in Texas. Cant complain. A bunch of rowdy drinkers down here. Just right up my alley. Anyway...heres a toast for ya...a true Irish toast...so next time you have friends around and doing shots...or whatever...just say this:

There's many reasons for drinking

And one just came to me head

You might as well drink while your living

Because you cant drink when your dead

Guest DagstheIrishPiker
I grew up in Cork County...for those of you that dont know...thats a part of Ireland. I now reside in Texas. Cant complain. A bunch of rowdy drinkers down here. Just right up my alley. Anyway...heres a toast for ya...a true Irish toast...so next time you have friends around and doing shots...or whatever...just say this:

And thats a authentic shot toast we have done in Ireland.

Guest SirJohn

Haha. Welcome Dags once again, glad you replied to the Bio section. We have about 2 other Irish/Ireland here at DD. Lep doesnot count tho he goes to Ireland a bunch, see his pictures.

Add watching the Irish this year to those reasons for drinking Dags. :drunk:

• 3 months later...

I'm yikityyakirish...explanation of the nickname is that my baseball nickname is yikyak short for yikityak...there are 3 loves in my life baseball notre dame football and notre dame hockey...being from TN it's somwhat weird that I like hockey never played or been to a game in my life...but anyway I will playing baseball for Austin peat state next year...I've played baseball and football all of my life but baseball edged out football in my college choice...I go to Houston high school who is known for there athletics in this part of the state...I wouldve loved to go to notre dame but unfortunately I don't have the grades or the money...most of my sources on this site will be players that I know who play now and Internet sources...my love for notre dame started when I was very young because my grandpa loves them (along with cincy) an Ive always wanted to be just like him...I plan to be a part of this site until the day I die...been a lurker since I was about 12 and only have lately starts posting...anyway best wishes to you all

Yik Yak

Hey all - I'm Jim and I have the rest of the summer to enjoy being "under 40". Graduated from ND in the early 90's, and ND won the NC my freshman year. In fact, I think the team was 41-7 over my 4 years there, so I truly enjoyed ND football success and like many of you, have a very high standard. Can't wait to get this train back on the tracks.

I chose ND and intramural life over playing scholarship football for smaller D1 schools (CMU, WMU, etc.) and over some D1-A schools. I balanced this by playing several years of interhall, which was a blast, and the bookstore tourney. We got to the Final 8 my senior year with a bunch of gym rats until we ran into a team with several 6'5" 290LB OTs who could move.

I also had the pleasure of taking some summer courses and playing hoops every night at the Stepan courts with all the players who were there. Got dunked on by Elmer Bennett, but seemed to be lucky enough to get on teams with Monty Williams or Keith Robinson so we could stay on the court.

I tend to duck in and out on DD, putting in $0.02 where I can. I love to follow the team and recruiting, and am amazed that many people I knew at ND now have kids being recruited nationally.

Really enjoy being part of this board.

• Join Domer Domain

Members receive fewer ads and can participate in the forums.

• Topics

• The players are getting paid because there is a market that wants to see success on the field.  Because that market watches, advertisers pay a lot of money to be seen while that market watches.  In return, that advertising money comes back to the school in the form of millions of dollars in various ways.  Paying for better players means even more value for advertisers and more money for Notre Dame to build buildings or fund programs. The average student who goes to Notre Dame doesn’t generate millions of dollars for the school.  If they decide not to go there, someone else will fill the spot so they can have access to the excellent education funded by the football program and its players.  I don’t see why the university would pay students to come (except for the absolute brightest) when supply and demand is in Notre Dame’s favor in a big way.  The alums are part of the market that wants results on the field so their money goes towards those results which in turn increases value for Notre Dame, too.  Paying kids to come doesn’t have much benefit to those alums either… I get what’s being said about working hard to pay for your kid to go to college, but there are just too many folks in the same boat while a big source of revenue for schools is football…the value of the school increases if football thrives.  It’s simple business, unfortunately, and ordinary students are the consumer.  Nobody pays consumers if they want to stay in business.
    • OK, fine, I'm getting excited.   We've been winning a lot of these. My take:  Golden commit forces Zackery hand?  Takes the last ND DB spot? It's nothing but expeditious!  Was always the answer.  No other reason to move up his commitment.   I expect he will commit to his dream school for a shot at the Natty!  The synergy is real here.  It's the staff, too, but it's bigger.  Like minded kids.  And they're all conspiring to come together for the title shot, and this staff has them convinced it's in South Bend!  
    • Slight nit, take the government out of guaranteed student loans.  Single handedly has been the biggest cause of soaring tuition and crushing debt for borrowers. Otherwise I'm in between as far as NIL.  It's chaos currently and we are still in Flux with the changes that have happened and stuff that's still to come.  We are far from settled in this shifting landscape of college athletics.
    • Can't wait to see someone try and block a punt and end up with internal hemorrhaging...