Postgame - #9 Notre Dame vs #6 Ohio State (Lose 17-14)

31 minutes ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Close on defense. We have the right theories and schemes. Need more players

Work to do on offense, Can't go into the Tressel ball stall. State teams are ahead of us on playmakers. Keep recruiting

Work to do on coaching. Take the points or have 4th and 1 figured out better

Closer than last year 3 vs 10.

We are not kidding ourselves any more. There's hope. Just gotta get over the hump.

Freeman won't be the automatic choice to replace Day at OSU.

So well said, Faith! And I could not agree more!

ND lost the game more than OSU won it.  Freeman has to tighten up the operation.  There was a lot that I liked but there needs to be a big improvement in attention to details.  The staff needs to be quicker and better at making in game adjustments to counter how they are being attacked.  As an example, Day was clearly picking on the slot and having success.  Why wasn't there an adjustment made to counter that?  That was a gut wrenching loss. 

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, Kid Gloves said:

Horrific night of tossing and turning but after a lot of thought here are my thoughts on where we are:

1.  For the first time in the last 20 years or so, I did not see any talent gap at any position vs OSU. We lack nothing in speed, size, skill or physicality. We are finally on par from a talent standpoint. 

2.  I have seen real and solid player development from last year to this year. For years we would never reach our potential with developing players. There is marked improvement across the board and that shows we are coaching and making these guys better. 

3.  We outplayed OSU. First time I can remember a ND team physically dominating a team like OSU in the second half especially at the line of scrimmage. It was like what we used to do back in our glory years. That show real progression. 

4.  Our coaching staff as a whole lost that game for us both on our last drive and on our last defensive drive. No doubt about it they messed it up. We should have kept running the ball down their throat and the game would have been over. Same thing on defense. No excuse for not having 11 players on the field…..twice!

5.  That being said, I believe MF and the staff will learn from this and become better. Our recruiting and player development has never been at this level for the last 20 years. We are making improvements and I believe we are on the right track. 

6.  Still, it is just a kick in the gonads to lose another game like this by just giving it away. There is a ton of good and hope for us going forward, but this one is going to sting for a long time. 

excellent post!!!!!!!!!!

Lin Manuel Miranda Love GIF by Tony Awards

On 9/24/2023 at 5:14 AM, Ksessoms1 said:

So many things cost up this game.  I don’t think this team will recover psychologically…as most would not.  I see the season playing out like last year…..that’s not progress.  Osu quarterback was only making is 4th start….and we gave up a length of the field game winning drive….with a 3rd and 19….I just can’t believe it.

I will be stunned if this happens. Freeman is dialed in on the entire organization getting better and winning games by playing to their potential. I don’t think this is going to change after a last second loss to Ohio State. 

On the last 2 plays....yes the coaching staff blew it BUT this team is not going to roll over and die. ND showed that the talent level is on par with the OSUs of the college world and hopefully continues to improve. Freeman is putting his stamp on this program and will continue to gain experience as a HC.

Don't give up hope on the Irish just yet.

I feel sorry for Duke this weekend.

• Heart 2
  • Cheers 1

In all honesty, my thought during the game (up until the last couple of minutes) was that ND far outplayed tO$U. Though the loss really hurts, I did walk away feeling like this was one ND gave away and not one where ND was the inferior team.

It is easy for me to play armchair quarterback and point out how incredibly flawed the clock management was at the end.....and I did not realize the 10 players on the field thing til my son showed me yesterday.....but mistakes like that can be used as a learning tool. In years past, the only thing to be learned from games like this was that ND was outmatched....not the case this year.

I will still need to lick my wounds for a couple more days.... 

• Heart 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, ndmike88 said:

On the last 2 plays....yes the coaching staff blew it BUT this team is not going to roll over and die. ND showed that the talent level is on par with the OSUs of the college world and hopefully continues to improve. Freeman is putting his stamp on this program and will continue to gain experience as a HC.

Don't give up hope on the Irish just yet.

I feel sorry for Duke this weekend.

I see this team rebounding and winning this week by double digits.  

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, IrishGuy said:

In all honesty, my thought during the game (up until the last couple of minutes) was that ND far outplayed tO$U. Though the loss really hurts, I did walk away feeling like this was one ND gave away and not one where ND was the inferior team.

It is easy for me to play armchair quarterback and point out how incredibly flawed the clock management was at the end.....and I did not realize the 10 players on the field thing til my son showed me yesterday.....but mistakes like that can be used as a learning tool. In years past, the only thing to be learned from games like this was that ND was outmatched....not the case this year.

I will still need to lick my wounds for a couple more days.... 

I agree 100%.  We usually walk away from these games feeling like ND should not have even been on the same field as the opponent, but this felt different.  The improvement to me is obvious so that's really nice to see.  The 10 man thing at the end was a mistake no matter how you look at it.  By no means does it define Freeman or this staff.  Im still all In!.  11-1  Go irish!

• Flames 1

On 9/24/2023 at 10:02 AM, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Work to do on coaching. Take the points or have 4th and 1 figured out better

Why doesn't everyone do what the Philadelphia Eagles do on 4th and 1?  I've seen it done some at the college level, and more at the pro level.  Seems like it works every time. I know you need to have the personnel to make it work, but I think ND has the personnel.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, AnTostal said:

Why doesn't everyone do what the Philadelphia Eagles do on 4th and 1?  I've seen it done some at the college level, and more at the pro level.  Seems like it works every time. I know you need to have the personnel to make it work, but I think ND has the personnel.

My wife and I said the exact same thing, and we most definitely have the personnel! I mean, Estime is huge and would be the best one to do it, along with maybe Price!

• Heart 1

On 9/24/2023 at 9:31 AM, Baldy said:

It’s going to take me a bit to watch this one, but thanks for posting Faith! 😢

I finally watched the post game video, and just have to reiterate why Freeman is the right guy for Notre Dame as their Head Football Coach.

He’s a true leader, holds himself accountable, and fights for his guys! Like, a true players coach with the right mindset, and the single most selfless and respectful person I have ever seen as a coach!

You could really see this in the second to last question he was asked about in regards to Hartman. If none of you have seen it, watch it and look at his reaction and listen to his response at the end. It shows you that he actually cares!

He’s for real just amazing, and I could not be more happy to have him as NDFB head coach!

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Baldy said:

I finally watched the post game video, and just have to reiterate why Freeman is the right guy for Notre Dame as their Head Football Coach.

He’s a true leader, holds himself accountable, and fights for his guys! Like, a true players coach with the right mindset, and the single most selfless and respectful person I have ever seen as a coach!

You could really see this in the second to last question he was asked about in regards to Hartman. If none of you have seen it, watch it and look at his reaction and listen to his response at the end. It shows you that he actually cares!

He’s for real just amazing, and I could not be more happy to have him as NDFB head coach!

Agreed!  All in with Freeman!

• Heart 1

I've slept on it twice now.  This was not as bad as we all thought it was Saturday night and yesterday.  Guys, ND dominated OSU for probably 80% of this game.  Our lines destroyed theirs.  I know the play happened so it does count, but, if not for that 60 something yard TD run OSU has less than 100 yards on the ground.  Morrison kept Harrison at bay for the most part.  They could not stop the Irish running game.  This game comes down to any one of 3-4 plays turning out differently and the outcome is different.

If Brown catches that INT the game is over.  Irish win.
If Freeman goes back to any one of his backs instead of Hartman on 4th down on the last offensive drive, chances are that play is made.  They were not stopping our backs all night.
If Golden rushes 4 instead of 3 on that 3rd and 19 play, McCord probably doesn't have time to make that pass.  The line had been getting to him all night.
If the Irish don't abandon the run for a few plays during that last drive, OSU never even has the time to get that last play off at the goal line.  The game is over before the clock play.
If the Irish have 11 frigING MEN ON THE FIELD COMING OUT OF A frigING TIMEOUT, who knows what happens at the end, maybe there is a stop.
If Freeman goes for the chip shot field goal on the first drive of the game, this game goes to OT instead of OSU winning on the last drive.
If Shrader makes the FG attempt that he missed, this game is going to OT instead of OSU winning on the last drive.

edit - I'll add this one too.  If Shrader makes both FGs the Irish win....And I am not saying this game is on Shrader.

I won't even get into the officiating.  Its been terrible in every game all season.  While, in my opinion, more calls went in favor of OSU...you can't put this game on the officials.  See above.

Edited by NYGoldenDomer
Added one more scenario
  • Flames 2
  • Cheers 1