Pyne will NOT be playing in bowl game, enters portal

We don't really need a bowl game trophy or the payout.  The younger guys get a few weeks of practice with the first team and game experience.  That's the only real value - start building the 2023 version.

Much as I'll miss them, I kinda hope all the seniors sit out.

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

I am pretty certain ND would limit itself to a grad transfer at QB with MInchey and Carr coming in the next 2 years, so I bet they opt for some like Virginia's Brennan Armstrong  in the portal, a grad transfer.

He threw for 2,210 yards, seven touchdowns and 12 interceptions in 2022. Armstrong has 9,034 passing yards, 58 touchdown passes and 20 rushing TDs in his career. He ranked 4th in all of FBS with 4,449 passing yards in 2021.

2 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

Buchner has been practicing the last two weeks, it is unknown if he can take contact at this point.

Pyne was told that ND would be going after a transfer portal QB, but that nothing will be promised to any incoming QB, there will be a competition. Pyne didnt like that, so decided to transfer.

I figured he must have caught wind about an inevitable QB acquisition via the transfer portal. 

Either that or he thinks like me that Tommy is not a great O coordinator   😂 

• Heart 1

It would seem that (transfer or no) he did not expect he would continue to be the starter, perhaps even in the bowl game if Buchner is healthy.

I would fully agree with his assessment, and wish him the best.  I'll root for him wherever he lands.

I'm really glad we had him this year as a back up.   What would life have been like without him - unknown.  Maybe Angeli would have been a star or he could have sucked.  I guess we might find out at the bowl game how much we will miss him...

He definitely loved ND and he gave all he had.  Wish him the best.

• Heart 1

Predicted one of them would be gone. And possibility both if we take a transfer. Not shocked. 

I wonder if there was chatter about Buchner playing in the bowl game, and pushed Pyne over the edge.

3 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

that is simply not the case. Nothing Pyne has shown says he is a better passer than Buchner. Buchner clearly beat him out during spring/fall camp and earned the starting job.

In the small sample size, it was the case. Pyne easier had better completion %, passer rating, and TD/INT ratio. Like I said, small sample size, but wasn't close. 

4 minutes ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Predicted one of them would be gone. And possibility both if we take a transfer. Not shocked. 

I wonder if there was chatter about Buchner playing in the bowl game, and pushed Pyne over the edge.

In the small sample size, it was the case. Pyne easier had better completion %, passer rating, and TD/INT ratio. Like I said, small sample size, but wasn't close. 

Pyne had a better team around him as well. The oline and running game were non-existent the first two games; every ND fan knows this. Would love to see Buchner behind a line that could actually protect him. Pyne had plenty of terrible games and numerous awful passes to wide open receivers that we all cringed at...

Edited by NDhoosier
  • Heart 4

19 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

Pyne had a better team around him as well. The oline and running game were non-existent the first two games; every ND fan knows this. Would love to see Buchner behind a line that could actually protect him. Pyne had plenty of terrible games and numerous awful passes to wide open receivers that we all cringed at...

IDK. Pyne was top 25 in passer rating... not suggesting he's great at all, but did fine, and was much better than Buchner. Hoping Buchner improves, and can play better now, but he's always had holes in his game. And his passing has always been rough, and his reads/progressions are far from smooth. His legs are the only proven aspect. 

6 hours ago, Rocketsan said:

He’s dead to me.

Unusually, I disagree. ND owes him (8-2 as a fill in) but doesn't need him.

Next year ND will have 3 better* (including the freshman) options, plus a ready to play transfer.

*in some or all parts more athletic, better passers, better runners.

I'm sure he asked, and pretty sure that this was what he was told.

That said, probably not NFL material, yet wanting to play, the decision is understandable.

It has been indicated elsewhere that he can finish his ND degree on line / with credits earned at another school.

The schools with openings, or opportunities probably will want to fill as quickly as possible, and not all will be focused on bowl prep- witness Iowa taking McNamara. In 3 weeks more doors will close.

A thought. Connecticut, his home state, has turned around under Mora to 6 & 6 versus4 & 28 the prior 3 years.

Summary: I'm pretty sure that this has the coaches blessing and thanks, and should have ours.

• Heart 3