Pyne will NOT be playing in bowl game, enters portal

Just now, Wharton70 said:

Unusually, I disagree. ND owes him (8-2 as a fill in) but doesn't need him.

Next year ND will have 3 better* (including the freshman) options, plus a ready to play transfer.

*in some or all parts more athletic, better passers, better runners.

I'm sure he asked, and pretty sure that this was what he was told.

That said, probably not NFL material, yet wanting to play, the decision is understandable.

It has been indicated elsewhere that he can finish his ND degree on line / with credits earned at another school.

The schools with openings, or opportunities probably will want to fill as quickly as possible, and not all will be focused on bowl prep- witness Iowa taking McNamara. In 3 weeks more doors will close.

A thought. Connecticut, his home state, has turned around under Mora to 6 & 6 versus4 & 28 the prior 3 years.

Summary: I'm pretty sure that this has the coaches blessing and thanks, and should have ours.

Agree. I don't think the odds were in Drew's favor to lead ND to a National title but this season could have been one that set the program back if it wasn't for Pyne. 8-2, managed the program building Clemson win and made sure the team had bowl practices to improve with. 

Pyne had a best friend in Mayer. I think that played a part in this this too. Losing your top target is tough.

• Leprechaun 1

This season was ceiling level with Pyne as qb. There’s a reason Coan was brought in last year, there’s a reason Buchner beat him out in camp this year. Appreciate the effort and what you did Drew, but moving on for both parties is probably the best decision

• Heart 2

I'm not all that surprised by this, not that I saw it coming. Clearly ND is looking to upgrade at the QB position and that is probably obvious to Drew also.

I think it was Coach Prime - Deion Sanders, who said (last season) that most of the guys entering the portal already know which team they're going to.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, jimbo said:

I'm not all that surprised by this, not that I saw it coming. Clearly ND is looking to upgrade at the QB position and that is probably obvious to Drew also.

I think it was Coach Prime - Deion Sanders, who said (last season) that most of the guys entering the portal already know which team they're going to.

Couldn’t agree more about the part where kids have a pretty damn good idea of where they’re headed when they go in. Supposedly one player in the portal has already said Deion reached out and told him not to make any decisions because he’s taking the Colorado job and wants him when he goes. Part of the landscape of college football right now.

Did see a report that the ND staff was caught off guard by the timing of Pynes announcement. I wonder is Buchners time table has been moved up and he’ll be a full go for the bowl game

https://saturdayroad.com/notre-dame-fighting-irish/notre-dame-staff-reportedly-caught-completely-off-guard-by-drew-pyne-transfer-decision/

If he wants a chance to be the starter, transferring is probably the right thing to do. 
The timing is good too. This allows ND to get Angeli and Buchner real game experience, and it’s a throw-away game anyway.  
I believe Buchner will win the starting job next year. And he’ll be a great QB for ND. Rees will be able to run the full offense, not cut it down so a transfer can learn the whole thing by game 1. 
If it’s Buchner as starter and transfer as #2, or vice versa, I think Angeli leaves after Spring ball. 

Good luck, Drew. Wish nothing but the best for you. Thank you for salvaging this year and rallying the team around you. 

Edited by AnTostal
  • Heart 1

13 hours ago, Wharton70 said:

Unusually, I disagree. ND owes him (8-2 as a fill in) but doesn't need him.

Next year ND will have 3 better* (including the freshman) options, plus a ready to play transfer.

*in some or all parts more athletic, better passers, better runners.

I'm sure he asked, and pretty sure that this was what he was told.

That said, probably not NFL material, yet wanting to play, the decision is understandable.

It has been indicated elsewhere that he can finish his ND degree on line / with credits earned at another school.

The schools with openings, or opportunities probably will want to fill as quickly as possible, and not all will be focused on bowl prep- witness Iowa taking McNamara. In 3 weeks more doors will close.

A thought. Connecticut, his home state, has turned around under Mora to 6 & 6 versus4 & 28 the prior 3 years.

Summary: I'm pretty sure that this has the coaches blessing and thanks, and should have ours.

I’m a firm believer that you finish what you started…this isn’t a protect your health for a big NFL payout type of skip…this one reeks of sour grapes and selfishness. 

• Heart 2
  • Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Rocketsan said:

I’m a firm believer that you finish what you started…this isn’t a protect your health for a big NFL payout type of skip…this one reeks of sour grapes and selfishness. 

Firm believer as well.  If he has his degree, which I've read contrary points everywhere so who knows.  But if he has his ND degree, I consider that finishing what he started, emphasizing the student in student/athlete which is the priority.  If he wants to chase PT and the dream of maybe making the pros so be it.  He gave it a go at his dream school and feels he won't succeed any further without injuries to guys in front if him.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, jessemoore97 said:

Firm believer as well.  If he has his degree, which I've read contrary points everywhere so who knows.  But if he has his ND degree, I consider that finishing what he started, emphasizing the student in student/athlete which is the priority.  If he wants to chase PT and the dream of maybe making the pros so be it.  He gave it a go at his dream school and feels he won't succeed any further without injuries to guys in front if him.

The thing is that Pyne cannot honestly think he has a shot at the NFL. I do not mind him leaving for more playing time to play the game he loves, but at least finish the season with your teammates. I dont like it either.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, NDhoosier said:

The thing is that Pyne cannot honestly think he has a shot at the NFL. I do not mind him leaving for more playing time to play the game he loves, but at least finish the season with your teammates. I dont like it either.

I don't know exactly all of his motives.  I'd wager, like others have said, that he feels he needs to pull the trigger now so he can set himself up to compete in the spring and acclimate himself to a new school and team rather than wait for summer.  

Its been suggested that most players entering the portal have a good idea of where they are going to land.  Hopefully he has that worked out.  If not he'll have a busy month getting trips, paperwork, and other logistics worked out.

I'm from a different generation and don't understand or relate to all the bouncing around etc going on.  Athletics can be taken away from you quickly with injuries and school is supposed to be more important for a better future.  But we are dealing with young people.  

Perhaps Pyne isn't confident enough in his ability to beat out all comers nor self reflective enough to realize that he needs a lot if work in his game.  Rise to the occasion.  I don't know, it is what it is.

• Leprechaun 1

1 minute ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

Sounds like freeman was freeman "We are possibly looking for a transfer QB." The guy is honest.

Sounds about right. Pyne went 8-2 and was up and down all year. If Pyne was to stay and Buchner transferred Freeman would still be looking at the portal. It’s the smart thing to do. Freeman played this hand last year and it burned him. He knows he can’t do that again. Only a fool would think Freeman doesn’t dive into the portal in the off-season. 

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, coltssb said:

Sounds about right. Pyne went 8-2 and was up and down all year. If Pyne was to stay and Buchner transferred Freeman would still be looking at the portal. It’s the smart thing to do. Freeman played this hand last year and it burned him. He knows he can’t do that again. Only a fool would think Freeman doesn’t dive into the portal in the off-season. 

I’m glad MF learned from his mistake last year. I’m also glad he’s being honest with kids, it seems.

• Heart 1