2024 Notre Dame Recruiting Prospects

7 hours ago, jessemoore97 said:

You feel the same way 3 years ago with Fischer v Alt?  Lambert may be really good and they are recruiting him, but we still need to get quality depth.

Its early, rankings change, kids blow up, etc.  Nothings certain until signing day.

I’m tired of Alt being used as an example. First off, he’s a Quinn recruit. 2nd, you only hear about the 3* who pan out, you never hear about the ones who never see the field. It skews everyone’s perspective into thinking it’s more common than it actually is.

Edited by XanderCrews

On 1/17/2023 at 10:02 AM, XanderCrews said:

He’s ok but they need Lambert way more. You can’t just settle for lower rated players bc they’re easier to sign.  

This has hardly been a problem on OL recruiting dating back like 15 years. Of all position groups not named "TE", we've pulled talent consistently (both blue chips and 3-stars that hit). This includes a nice long stretch with Heistand. If he's offering a 3-star, I'm not stressing about it.

50 minutes ago, soulpatch said:

This has hardly been a problem on OL recruiting dating back like 15 years. Of all position groups not named "TE", we've pulled talent consistently (both blue chips and 3-stars that hit). This includes a nice long stretch with Heistand. If he's offering a 3-star, I'm not stressing about it.

It is probably the hardest position to project college success of high schoolers.

There was a study a few years back that showed that OL had the least amount of correlation between stars and NFL draft status. This makes sense when you consider that OL is the position where freshmen make the smallest impact. You also cannot teach speed (to some extent) but you can develop a 6'6" 240 pound high schooler into a 300+ pound OT by their senior year of college.

Edited by jbrown_9999
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, XanderCrews said:

I’m tired of Alt being used as an example. First off, he’s a Quinn recruit. 2nd, you only hear about the 3* who pan out, you never hear about the ones who never see the field. It skews everyone’s perspective into thinking it’s more common than it actually is.

I never mentioned who recruited Alt, moot point.  HH has recruited and developed OL who have been very successful.  Given Alt's bloodlines and measurables I'd wager HH would've recruited him too.  Who knows. 

Pan out, what's your definition?  Most of DI football is composed of 3* type of recruits, so naturally there are lots of successes and failures due to the sample size.  

Notre Dames problem has not been OL going back to TW and his massive under recruiting of the position then.  OL and TE will always be the strength of our offense and recruiting.  Recruit 4 OL on average each year, that's 16 bodies in the room, and you figure out who's your best 5 to be on the field.  You act like everyone who's not a 5* is a complete waste of time.

I've watched Iowa churn out great OL who were 3* the last 20+ years.  Sure they get some higher rated kids, but they don't live and die by star power they do it from the development front.

1 hour ago, jessemoore97 said:

I never mentioned who recruited Alt, moot point.  HH has recruited and developed OL who have been very successful.  Given Alt's bloodlines and measurables I'd wager HH would've recruited him too.  Who knows. 

Pan out, what's your definition?  Most of DI football is composed of 3* type of recruits, so naturally there are lots of successes and failures due to the sample size.  

Notre Dames problem has not been OL going back to TW and his massive under recruiting of the position then.  OL and TE will always be the strength of our offense and recruiting.  Recruit 4 OL on average each year, that's 16 bodies in the room, and you figure out who's your best 5 to be on the field.  You act like everyone who's not a 5* is a complete waste of time.

I've watched Iowa churn out great OL who were 3* the last 20+ years.  Sure they get some higher rated kids, but they don't live and die by star power they do it from the development front.

That’s bc Iowa has no choice but to develop, ND should be able to get a higher level of recruit.

2 hours ago, XanderCrews said:

That’s bc Iowa has no choice but to develop, ND should be able to get a higher level of recruit.

Highly ranked recruits are nice, but if you don't develop them its all moot.  The higher you go in sports competition the more natural talent gets washed out, because everyone has it and your game needs to become more complete.

OL, as jbrown_999, mentioned is one of the most difficult positions to project from HS to college.  Most of the HS blue chip OL are usually the biggest and strongest guys on the field in HS.  That doesn't translate very well to college where everyone is big and strong. 

Additionally many times in HS they are able to get away with shitty blocking techniques due to their size and strength, but doesn't work nearly as well without good technique and skill.  I've watched many guys who refused to adapt and become more complete players through skill enhancement, thinking they could just out talent everyone else, it catches up to you.

Lastly the differences in offenses run by HS and college are wide.  There are more cerebral skills in college involved.  OL unlike any other unit on the field operates as one cohesive unit and needs players who can work together with correct blocking assignments and schemes.

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 2

9 hours ago, XanderCrews said:

Why….because people are aching to walk across campus in blistering winds with lake effect snows and a love scene where “hot” Is rarely in the vocabulary unless you’re talking about the football players themselves….?

We simply don’t offer what many other schools do, so it’s hard for me to feel entitled to a “higher level of recruit” and not ready to develop projects.  Don’t forget…Notre Dame has more than it’s share of burdens for guys looking to play football and have a good time.

18 hours ago, irishwavend said:

Why….because people are aching to walk across campus in blistering winds with lake effect snows and a love scene where “hot” Is rarely in the vocabulary unless you’re talking about the football players themselves….?

We simply don’t offer what many other schools do, so it’s hard for me to feel entitled to a “higher level of recruit” and not ready to develop projects.  Don’t forget…Notre Dame has more than it’s share of burdens for guys looking to play football and have a good time.

It’s still Notre Dame. They’re one of the most recognizable brands in all of American sports. I understand ND is going to struggle pulling kids from public HS out of the SEC footprint, but they can get better recruits than Iowa.

15 hours ago, XanderCrews said:

It’s still Notre Dame. They’re one of the most recognizable brands in all of American sports. I understand ND is going to struggle pulling kids from public HS out of the SEC footprint, but they can get better recruits than Iowa.

Good God man this stuff flies over your head.  I never mentioned that we couldn't nor shouldn't recruit better than Iowa.  I specifically was pointing out that developing players is a huge component and that Iowa does a very good job of developing its players(OL esp) regardless of star power.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

Makes me happy to see the Irish recruiting Big framed light guys, let them fill in the strength with Balis but you can't replace 6'7.

Mayo is one of my favorite recruits. Long, super athletic, plays top end competition at his level. 

• Heart 1

27 minutes ago, FaithInIrishForever said:

Makes me happy to see the Irish recruiting Big framed light guys, let them fill in the strength with Balis but you can't replace 6'7.

Teach him how to put his hands up on passing plays and that's a tall mountain for a QB to throw over the top of.

• Heart 1