2024 Notre Dame Recruiting Prospects

12 hours ago, jimbo said:

Jesse, what in particular makes you think “the staff is pruning the roster”? I don’t follow the outgoing players closely at all, so maybe I’m just missing it. Not saying it isn’t happening, what makes you think it is?

It was happening this past spring when our numbers after the season hovered around 100+ I believe when the early admission kids came in and we were shopping the portal.  Kids were told they could "medical" out or still stay in school on a nonfootball schollie.  I believe first year coaches have an option with this too, that MF was utilizing.

Conversations were being had with all the players individually about where they stood on the roster pre and post spring practice.  Kids may have been encouraged to enter the portal if they wanted PT because they were buried on the DC.  For instance bringing in Hartman was going to cause at least one QB to leave, because he would have been #5 scholarship QB, and 2 ended up bouncing.

Like I said I don't know if this is going to be the norm for MF going forward, or if this was just MF using his first year ability to manage the roster a bit.  The big change for ND is if we are going to be dropping kids off football scholies through "medical retirements" or outright saying they are no longer guaranteed 4 years as we traditionally honored or a year to year proposition like many schools interpret.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, jessemoore97 said:

It was happening this past spring when our numbers after the season hovered around 100+ I believe when the early admission kids came in and we were shopping the portal.  Kids were told they could "medical" out or still stay in school on a nonfootball schollie.  I believe first year coaches have an option with this too, that MF was utilizing.

Conversations were being had with all the players individually about where they stood on the roster pre and post spring practice.  Kids may have been encouraged to enter the portal if they wanted PT because they were buried on the DC.  For instance bringing in Hartman was going to cause at least one QB to leave, because he would have been #5 scholarship QB, and 2 ended up bouncing.

Like I said I don't know if this is going to be the norm for MF going forward, or if this was just MF using his first year ability to manage the roster a bit.  The big change for ND is if we are going to be dropping kids off football scholies through "medical retirements" or outright saying they are no longer guaranteed 4 years as we traditionally honored or a year to year proposition like many schools interpret.

I've had to much ti drink i the virgin island s .....    ill let it all be ..  go Irish 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, jessemoore97 said:

Remember that the rules are different in a coach's first year (which this off season was).  Next year will be what to watch.

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, BAgate said:

Remember that the rules are different in a coach's first year (which this off season was).  Next year will be what to watch.

Agreed.  Like I said many didn't like what happened this off season and IF it will be the norm going forward.  IF it is I just hope that ND is transparent and upfront with the kids about the change in philosophy.  I'm not really for or against it and could argue either way.  We'll see.

On 6/22/2023 at 4:05 PM, Big23Head said:

I’m in Yellowstone for the next week plus then I plan to do a little write up. 

Don't drink the water from the river.  Sounds like there's a little more yellow in the Yellowstone River this week.

With Big out for a bit I thought I would drop a few relevant 2024 updates.

Carter Nelson (TE from Nebraska; top 100 player) is committing tomorrow.  High on NDs board and one time looked like an ND vs Georgia battle.  Seems like hometown Nebraska did a great job closing and think he stays home.

Justin Scott OV tour ended and I feel like it went almost as well as it could have for ND.  Southern schools have faded and it seems like an ND/Mich/OSU battle with ND/Mich out front.  I think his next visit will be very telling. If ND can get him on campus in the next month I like our chances, if not then its not a great sign.  He does have on OV left which he hopefully uses at ND For the OSU game but who knows if there is a wild card out there.

Kygstonn Viliamu-Asa - has visited his 3 leaders - ND, USC, OSU and things seem to be a bit merky... or merkier than before.  My gut is it is 40% ND, 30% OSU, 30% USC.  So ND is the most likely destination but it is still more likely he goes elsewhere.

• Heart 2
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, stay4awhile said:

With Big out for a bit I thought I would drop a few relevant 2024 updates.

Carter Nelson (TE from Nebraska; top 100 player) is committing tomorrow.  High on NDs board and one time looked like an ND vs Georgia battle.  Seems like hometown Nebraska did a great job closing and think he stays home.

Justin Scott OV tour ended and I feel like it went almost as well as it could have for ND.  Southern schools have faded and it seems like an ND/Mich/OSU battle with ND/Mich out front.  I think his next visit will be very telling. If ND can get him on campus in the next month I like our chances, if not then its not a great sign.  He does have on OV left which he hopefully uses at ND For the OSU game but who knows if there is a wild card out there.

Kygstonn Viliamu-Asa - has visited his 3 leaders - ND, USC, OSU and things seem to be a bit merky... or merkier than before.  My gut is it is 40% ND, 30% OSU, 30% USC.  So ND is the most likely destination but it is still more likely he goes elsewhere.

Agree with all, although I would put ND third for KVA at this point. Sounds like the OSU visit last weekend went really well. 

One to add - Guerby Lambert (Top 50 OL) has wrapped up his officials - ND, OSU, BC, Harvard (yes, Harvard). Sounds like he is ND's to lose. 

ND also in it for Bradley Shaw (Top 150-ish LB from AL). Basically ND vs. the SEC (Auburn, Arkansas, Georgia). ND can win that one, but not quite sure where they stand right now. I know they killed it on his official a few weeks ago to the point where many thought ND was the favorite. Just not sure if that's changed with him visiting others closer to home.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

Agree with all, although I would put ND third for KVA at this point. Sounds like the OSU visit last weekend went really well. 

One to add - Guerby Lambert (Top 50 OL) has wrapped up his officials - ND, OSU, BC, Harvard (yes, Harvard). Sounds like he is ND's to lose. 

ND also in it for Bradley Shaw (Top 150-ish LB from AL). Basically ND vs. the SEC (Auburn, Arkansas, Georgia). ND can win that one, but not quite sure where they stand right now. I know they killed it on his official a few weeks ago to the point where many thought ND was the favorite. Just not sure if that's changed with him visiting others closer to home.

Forgot about Lambert - the fact he skipped his PSU visit for Harvard is good news for us.  Would be a huge get.

I don't necessarily disagree on KVA at the moment.  I feel like whenever he visits a school it becomes the new favorite and OSU was the most recent.  I could see any school being picked and maybe it is wishful thinking but we should know within a month or so.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, stay4awhile said:

Forgot about Lambert - the fact he skipped his PSU visit for Harvard is good news for us.  Would be a huge get.

I don't necessarily disagree on KVA at the moment.  I feel like whenever he visits a school it becomes the new favorite and OSU was the most recent.  I could see any school being picked and maybe it is wishful thinking but we should know within a month or so.

Agreed on KVA. His recruitment seems like Justin Scott's in that whatever visit he is coming off of is the perceived favorite. It's gone from UGA/ND, to Miami/UGA/ND, to OSU/ND, to Michigan/ND. No idea where KVA is leaning - could be any of ND/OSU/USC.

Edited by tneun89
  • Heart 1

1. Feeling the same on KVA.  I still feel like the pressure will be too much to leave home, so I stick with my USC guess.  BUT, he clearly likes ND and has all along.  Wouldn't be a shock.  High ceiling for this kid - could be a star.
  2. Justin Scott - Stay4Awhile nailed it - and I'm surprised.  I felt like it was for sure trending NIL and Miami - but I feel like ND is definitely still in it.  If he's staying closer to home, and it sounds like he might, I like our chances against Harbaugh.
  3. Bradley Shaw seems like he would be a fantastic add - a bit out of nowhere - even if KVA signed.! He looks like a player that could contribute early.  ND would take both LB's for sure, or am I wrong?
  4. Guerby sure seems Irish!  IMO, this one would hurt the most if he were to go elsewhere.  Although I'd have to respect him going to Harvard. I think he's a strong future pro.  If we could only have 1 of these guys, I'd take Lambert.  This class needs OL.

I don't think the 25 scholarship limit for one class is back yet.  Isn't that still waived?  But based on projected '24 roster, things could get ugly again (85 total scholarship limit) if this class gets much higher than 25.  As long as the season goes well, and we don't lose a ton of coaches, I'd see a lot of guys on the fence sticking around a shot at the playoff.

• Heart 2

Edited by Big23Head

My write up for now is simple. The Offensive recruiting is balanced and a ton of skill. If ND adds Lambert it will be a complete class with high skill, star power, and balance. Right now, Defensive recruiting is much more about projection. There are several players that could rise in the rankings or simply be significantly better than their rankings due to position focus and natural physical growth. Personally, my biggest concern is safety. Are they actually safeties and how long will it take them to get established if so. 

ND is primarily big fish hunting now and looking for Brandyn Hillman type players. Otherwise it is Lambert, Beasley, Shaw, KVA, Scott, and Andrews. 

Edit: ND hired a director of scouting but I do not believe he has started. ND “found” a lot of there lower rated but great evaluations in July and August last year. More need to happen this year as the board needs to expand. 

Edited by Big23Head
  • Heart 3
  • Cheers 1

Edited by Big23Head