2024 Notre Dame Recruiting Prospects

Edited by Big23Head

Seems like the last recruiting obstacle to clear is reeling in the high 4 star and 5 star level recruits.  That comment is pointed at Al Washington, Al Golden and Chris O'Leary.  Also, Marcus Freeman for holding them accountable.  With all of the reasons that winning those recruiting battles is difficult, effort can't be one of them.  100% staff effort must go into recruiting the likes of Justin Scott, Guerby Lambert, Carter Nelson, Elijah RushingKyngstonn Viliamu-Asa, etc.  Nothing short of 100% effort should be acceptable.

11 minutes ago, 4thand1 said:

Seems like the last recruiting obstacle to clear is reeling in the high 4 star and 5 star level recruits.  That comment is pointed at Al Washington, Al Golden and Chris O'Leary.  Also, Marcus Freeman for holding them accountable.  With all of the reasons that winning those recruiting battles is difficult, effort can't be one of them.  100% staff effort must go into recruiting the likes of Justin Scott, Guerby Lambert, Carter Nelson, Elijah RushingKyngstonn Viliamu-Asa, etc.  Nothing short of 100% effort should be acceptable.

I agree mostly. They need to find a way to land an elite guy every cycle on O and D. NIL hit at an unfortunate time for ND because Keeley and Rushing are likely Irish without NIL. Scott, Lambert, and Nelson I am less concerned with (I don't think Scott is elite, maybe could be). I want that DE, LB, S, WR, QB elite level. 

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Big23Head said:

I agree mostly. They need to find a way to land an elite guy every cycle on O and D. NIL hit at an unfortunate time for ND because Keeley and Rushing are likely Irish without NIL. Scott, Lambert, and Nelson I am less concerned with (I don't think Scott is elite, maybe could be). I want that DE, LB, S, WR, QB elite level. 

Agree.  NIL has really thrown a loop in recruiting.  If no NIL perhaps we'd have a few more elite recruits, but once money got involved it changed the whole equation and everyone wants to chase the dollars.

• Heart 1

I agree that Justin Scott could be overated but the larger concern is that he's at a catholic HS that's an hour and half away from South Bend and ND is struggling to land him.  If you can't get a 5 star like that, who can you get?  If you have to pull from the concensus top 150 and below your talent evaluations and player development must be excellent.  Less room for error.  

I thought about my coaching recruiting comment more and realized that Mikens hasn't brought in any high 4 star or 5 stars either yet I feel much better about his efforts.  I don't want to be hypocritical towards Washington, Golden and O'leary.  There seems to be a clear difference between those 3 and the rest of the staff.  Hoping Freeman is continuously pushing them to improve and getting more involved is they don't show improvement.

• Heart 1

• Heart 1

On 6/17/2023 at 10:01 AM, 4thand1 said:

I agree that Justin Scott could be overated but the larger concern is that he's at a catholic HS that's an hour and half away from South Bend and ND is struggling to land him.  If you can't get a 5 star like that, who can you get?  If you have to pull from the concensus top 150 and below your talent evaluations and player development must be excellent.  Less room for error.  

I thought about my coaching recruiting comment more and realized that Mikens hasn't brought in any high 4 star or 5 stars either yet I feel much better about his efforts.  I don't want to be hypocritical towards Washington, Golden and O'leary.  There seems to be a clear difference between those 3 and the rest of the staff.  Hoping Freeman is continuously pushing them to improve and getting more involved is they don't show improvement.

I know what you’re saying. But NIL really is a big player. You have dad’s and uncles in closed rooms asking about money up front. Far cry from even when Kelly was heat two years ago. If not for NIL, ND probably has Keeley and Moore last year. That’s not on effort, that’s on NIL. 
As for Scott…just because you go to a Catholic highschool doesn’t mean you follow anything that is associated with the at highschool. Lots of those schools recruits kids and those kids go there for that reason. Not because they are a Midwest Catholic. Lots of falsities nowadays. The best ND can do nowadays is have an amazing presentation about FUND and what a four year ND degree can set you up with in the future. They also need for the NCAA and the states to figure out this NIL so there is some type of order. 
So let’s pray that Freeman and company are amazing salesmen and enjoy that process of it. Or ND is going to be a sinking ship..

• Heart 1

Every kid is different and every recruiting process takes its own turns.  If we're pulling 4+ stars from Texas and SEC country, we're getting better at it.  I like our direction very much, and it's particularly impressive given all the challenges that have been mentioned here.

You could have 2 different 5-star kids from Catholic High School, both with good grades and good families -and they're likely to have very different priorities on religion, NIL, education, and playing opportunities.  Any one school is unlikely to get them both.  ND has no lock on those kids.

And it's getting to the point now that there is this very calculated marketing effort behind many recruit's process.  E.g. a kid releases a top 10, tweets about visits, builds up Twitter/IG followers, and courts alumni money on his own.  They're scheduling dates and deadlines, giving interviews to fan and alumni insider media.  It looks to be very calculated and getting worse.  You'll start to see a lot more of that with the high-profile players/positions (QB, WR, LB, Edge).  NIL is going to win most of those free market battles.  If ND suddenly pulls Scott, for example, I'll be fearful of what that must have taken.  Although maybe he's simply trying to push his max NIL and using Miami against ND before declaring he's Irish.  Ya never know a kid's deeper motivations.

But I don't feel like ND needs to get into that.  They'll have to evolve some (transfer portal will become essential, IMO), but they really do have more to offer - and I'm excited to get the kind of kid that understands that.

My new crystal ball prediction holds zero weight, but I'm feeling Viliamu-Asa is staying home to attend USC unless they absolutely wow him at Ohio State.  And I hope I'm completely wrong.   Hopefully it shouldn't hurt too much given the young LB's we have.

4 hours ago, JeffV said:

My new crystal ball prediction holds zero weight, but I'm feeling Viliamu-Asa is staying home to attend USC unless they absolutely wow him at Ohio State.  And I hope I'm completely wrong.   Hopefully it shouldn't hurt too much given the young LB's we have.

I believe it’s still OSU or ND

On 6/19/2023 at 2:43 PM, coltssb said:

I know what you’re saying. But NIL really is a big player. You have dad’s and uncles in closed rooms asking about money up front. Far cry from even when Kelly was heat two years ago. If not for NIL, ND probably has Keeley and Moore last year. That’s not on effort, that’s on NIL. 
As for Scott…just because you go to a Catholic highschool doesn’t mean you follow anything that is associated with the at highschool. Lots of those schools recruits kids and those kids go there for that reason. Not because they are a Midwest Catholic. Lots of falsities nowadays. The best ND can do nowadays is have an amazing presentation about FUND and what a four year ND degree can set you up with in the future. They also need for the NCAA and the states to figure out this NIL so there is some type of order. 
So let’s pray that Freeman and company are amazing salesmen and enjoy that process of it. Or ND is going to be a sinking ship..

Apps are being developed right now that tell each college player’s NIL value and how you can contribute immediately to the player’s unique NIL site. Like that the QB just threw an 80 yard TD to the stud receiver?  Open the app, find the players, and send 50 bucks to each of their NIL sites. Enough people do that, every game, it’s going to make the athletes ridiculously well-paid. More TV exposure, more chances for fans to contribute. 
This genie is so far out of the bottle, theres nothing that’s going to rein it in. 
How should ND position itself?  Who knows?  But mass market exposure, however that takes place, will add appeal.