The NIL Thread

Message added by NYGoldenDomer,

We are merging NIL threads into one topic.  There is no need for 10-12 different threads on the same topic.  If you come up with something Notre Dame NIL related please feel free to make a new thread for that.  Please note it in your thread title.  All of these vague thread titles are getting very old now.  

The other thing of note, many are 6 years long... which means the holder could have their rights the first few years in the NFL, if they make it. 

Thats where, in the long run NDs approach pays off more as ND will give the players the tools to maximize vs others where you sign away your rights

Interesting article...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34307234/what-future-college-football-200-coaches-players-administrators-respond

50% of those polled said the federal government needs to pass laws or create a framework....

Sure, the government has been so successful at absolutely nothing lol... Horrible freaking idea. There absolutely needs to be a governing body (not the NCAA) and clear regs, but holy cow the last thing I want is tax payers paying for them to F up CFB... 

• Heart 2
  • Cheers 2

On 8/2/2022 at 12:30 AM, OKelleyIrish said:

Interesting article...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34307234/what-future-college-football-200-coaches-players-administrators-respond

50% of those polled said the federal government needs to pass laws or create a framework....

Sure, the government has been so successful at absolutely nothing lol... Horrible freaking idea. There absolutely needs to be a governing body (not the NCAA) and clear regs, but holy cow the last thing I want is tax payers paying for them to F up CFB... 

The NCAA's existence is funded by C FB and BB conferences/programs (administrations, ath departments, players, sponsors). These conferences/programs are, for all intents and purposes, for-profit enterprises.  They will only agree to be governed by a body that governs them in a way that is most agreeable to them (short of federal regulations and/or the customers funding the enterprise forcing a behavior change). 

6 hours ago, soulpatch said:

The NCAA's existence is funded by C FB and BB conferences/programs (administrations, ath departments, players, sponsors). These conferences/programs are, for all intents and purposes, for-profit enterprises.  They will only agree to be governed by a body that governs them in a way that is most agreeable to them (short of federal regulations and/or the customers funding the enterprise forcing a behavior change). 

They are classed as non-profits. FB funds the university and other sports. 

NIL on the other hand is not a non-profit situation. 

And I'm OK with the big schools getting together and creating their own regs. Trying to get all the states together, or the fed to do some with nimbleness would be a cluster. I can imagine the pork filled bills passed with oodles of measures passed that have zero to do with NIL. 

3 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

They are classed as non-profits. FB funds the university and other sports. 

NIL on the other hand is not a non-profit situation. 

And I'm OK with the big schools getting together and creating their own regs. Trying to get all the states together, or the fed to do some with nimbleness would be a cluster. I can imagine the pork filled bills passed with oodles of measures passed that have zero to do with NIL. 

I agree that they're classified as non-profits. But, I imagine that we agree that they are not, in practice, non-profits. Of course, it's worth noting that, technically, NIL does not come from programs or conferences but, rather, 3rd parties (which is also, obviously, not how it plays out).

I'm also with you on federal intervention. This cannot improve the situation (and I would hope that they have better things to do). Of course, there's probably money in it, so it's likely that they stick their nose in it.

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, soulpatch said:

I agree that they're classified as non-profits. But, I imagine that we agree that they are not, in practice, non-profits. Of course, it's worth noting that, technically, NIL does not come from programs or conferences but, rather, 3rd parties (which is also, obviously, not how it plays out).

I'm also with you on federal intervention. This cannot improve the situation (and I would hope that they have better things to do). Of course, there's probably money in it, so it's likely that they stick their nose in it.

I think at some point (not there yet), the big schools/conferences will simply separate from the smaller guys. 

The rules for the Bamas, OSUs, NDs, etc., simply need to be different than MAC (and other) school rules. 

Not saying the MAC kids shouldn't have NIL opportunities, just saying the differences are stark, and should be managed differently.

I'd love to see 3-4 tiers. Big Guys (Super Confs).... Medium Guys (G5+).... Small Guys (FCS)... and an Ivy like group that just stays out of NIL. Let the teams move up and down between the Big/Medium/Small every year based on performance like soccer lol. 

8 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

I think at some point (not there yet), the big schools/conferences will simply separate from the smaller guys. 

The rules for the Bamas, OSUs, NDs, etc., simply need to be different than MAC (and other) school rules. 

Not saying the MAC kids shouldn't have NIL opportunities, just saying the differences are stark, and should be managed differently.

I'd love to see 3-4 tiers. Big Guys (Super Confs).... Medium Guys (G5+).... Small Guys (FCS)... and an Ivy like group that just stays out of NIL. Let the teams move up and down between the Big/Medium/Small every year based on performance like soccer lol. 

Yeah, it could definitely go this way. Not sure if that would improve things (whatever that means) but this is a distinct possibility.

• Heart 1

On 8/2/2022 at 12:30 AM, OKelleyIrish said:

Interesting article...

Taxpayers are going to be footing the bill for player salaries at public universities once that dam is broken.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Per this older article from Aug 4th, ND not listed in Top 20 of NIL collectives.

https://www.on3.com/nil/news/on3s-top-20-most-ambitious-nil-collectives/

However, I have heard that all ND football players on 85 person roster are getting at least $50K of NIL money. 

Has anyone heard about 1) exact amount of NIL $ Irish players are getting and 2) how much of that is driven by one of the three main ND-related NIL initiatives? (Irish Players Club, FUND or NBC Sports Athlete Direct) 

I saw mention that FUND raised at least $8M and is giving every ND scholarship football player money. No specific numbers were mentioned but if you do the math, $50K * 85 players = $4.25M which seems within reason.

https://theathletic.com/3559021/2022/09/02/notre-dame-nil-fund-brady-quinn/

It was also mentioned that IPC has given $3K to 100 Irish football players (including walk-ons).

https://www.ndinsider.com/story/sports/2022/04/22/notre-dame-football-nil-irish-players-club-braden-lenzy-jack-kiser-drew-pyne-mick-assaf-tom-mendoza/7369280001/

27 minutes ago, coltssb said:

Is that because they are a private institution and they won’t provide NIL money?  Just like they don’t expose what Kelly was making. 

Note that none of the NIL Collectives are officially part of their associated school's athletics' department. 

As such, any disclosure about payments has been just what is in the public domain.