The NIL Thread

Message added by NYGoldenDomer,

We are merging NIL threads into one topic.  There is no need for 10-12 different threads on the same topic.  If you come up with something Notre Dame NIL related please feel free to make a new thread for that.  Please note it in your thread title.  All of these vague thread titles are getting very old now.  

1 hour ago, JTennant said:

50-150k/year for UT OL

Texas NIL deal to pay 150k/year for their OL through various sponsorships.

Wow. Just wow. 

There it is. At last the way has been paved for boosters to pay to recruit kids to their school of choice. I understanding giving NIL rights to an existing college player for their individual merits but basically saying that we will pay any lineman who comes to Texas 50k is ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, OKelleyIrish said:

Gonna be an arms race.

And TX has several deals. 

TX's latest is a "non-profit" company made up of boosters. It's a total boondoggle purely to move money to players. 

All the football factories will be doing the same.

ND better be on the cutting edge of all this.

I’ve used the same term “arms race”.

I’m tired of the small southern towns getting away with all of the cheating.

now that it’s legal you’re gonna see big city schools thrive in recruiting. UT - Houston - Chicago area schools, Cincy, LA, NYC, Boston etc. 

we’re gonna find out what these kids really want.. all this bullshit about culture fit and relationships Yada yada. 

Edited by JTennant

7 minutes ago, JTennant said:

I’ve used the same term “arms race”.

I’m tired of the small southern towns getting away with all of the cheating.

now that it’s legal you’re gonna see big city schools thrive in recruiting. UT - Houston - Chicago area schools, Cincy, LA, NYC, Boston etc. 

we’re gonna find out what these kids really want.. all this bullshit about culture fit and relationships Yada yada. 

If you think it's just the south, not sure what to tell you. Chicago, Ohio, and L.A. already had some of the best bag men in the country lol. 

TX's bag men just went legal with non-profits. But there was always bag men in TX.

9 hours ago, EddieAngel said:

There it is. At last the way has been paved for boosters to pay to recruit kids to their school of choice. I understanding giving NIL rights to an existing college player for their individual merits but basically saying that we will pay any lineman who comes to Texas 50k is ridiculous. 

The NCAA is going to have to get a framework in place to limit this type of payout. 

1 hour ago, ELDER06 said:

The NCAA is going to have to get a framework in place to limit this type of payout. 

Why? Shouldn't the free market play out?

Also, it is hard to believe that this money just started flowing. I am guessing that it was already being given to players. Now it's "legal".

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, ELDER06 said:

Or ND is screwed… They probably can’t but most certainly won’t go $ for $ against the SEC, OSUs, USCs of this world. This just screams “not what ND does or is comfortable doing”.

It’s going to be the Wild West until then. Could hurt recruiting as early as 2023 if ND isn’t active in this. Sponsorships, Social Media, etc. Wow…. Plus the students athletes are expected to be students on top of that?

Hope ND already has someone in place that has experience and knowledge and help ND be proactive in this new environment

3 hours ago, zemaniak said:

Or ND is screwed… They probably can’t but most certainly won’t go $ for $ against the SEC, OSUs, USCs of this world. This just screams “not what ND does or is comfortable doing”.

It’s going to be the Wild West until then. Could hurt recruiting as early as 2023 if ND isn’t active in this. Sponsorships, Social Media, etc. Wow…. Plus the students athletes are expected to be students on top of that?

Hope ND already has someone in place that has experience and knowledge and help ND be proactive in this new environment

Nobody can go $ for $ with the two big Texas schools, except MAYBE Oregon. However, that $ comes at a price, bc every billionaire booster thinks they have input on how the coach should run his program. 

4 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

Why? Shouldn't the free market play out?

Also, it is hard to believe that this money just started flowing. I am guessing that it was already being given to players. Now it's "legal".

Bc it will drain the competitive nature out of the sport. I’m not naive enough to think players weren’t getting $ under the table, but excluding rare cases ( Cam Newton), it never came close to $50 K. 

ND is top 5 in terms of FB program worth. 

ND also is top 10 in terms of endowment, and most of the top 10 schools are not FB schools (ie Harvard, Yale, MIT, etc.).

And ND has folks like John "W Jay" Jordan and others. Jordan gave ND 75M not to many years ago, and is on record saying athletes should be compensated. 

So ND is absolutely taking money from boosters. And those boosters are pro-NLI.

ND just needs to get out of there own way here, and not step on there own dicks. 

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

20 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

This is one of the issues I saw coming. It will simply be who can pay the recruit more...

TE U
DB U
OL U
etc...

Those may actually be a thing with stuff like this.

Yep. I remember you and aunt in agreement on this. Just a disaster waiting to happen. Amateur’s my ass….

15 minutes ago, coltssb said:

Yep. I remember you and aunt in agreement on this. Just a disaster waiting to happen. Amateur’s my ass….

I don't want to take money out of these kids' pockets but I think the NCAA is going to have to come back and put a limit on the amount of money to level set what boosters are allowed to do. Otherwise, we might as well go ahead and carve out a college division and a semi-pro division and call it good.

• 4 weeks later...

Texas A&M has reportedly allocated $25-30 Million for signees of the first signing period.

Apparently, A&M’s donors were “extremely coordinated”. The coaching staff identified players they want and relayed those to a “point donor” and that individual works with various other donors to build an LLC that will sponsor the targeted player.

If a player goes to the portal A&M is prepared for that, they’ll structure each players deal with a multi year contract. If they leave A&M they leave the money too.
It’s also said that the money will increase with each year with the program.

Folks were wondering how A&M had the #1 class and is expected to get another 2-4 five star recruits by the second signing day, now you know.

I guess this shouldn’t be a surprise given Jimbo’s recent comments on NIL and recruiting but damn!

Worst kept secret but wow those numbers are massive. Also I’m sure coordination of the coaching staff / program for the NIL deals has to be against the rules.

If the NCAA won’t enforce the rules it’s like gun laws in Chicago.. only the law abiding citizens are at a disadvantage. 

• Heart 1
  • Trophy 1

3 minutes ago, JTennant said:

Worst kept secret but wow those numbers are massive. Also I’m sure coordination of the coaching staff / program for the NIL deals has to be against the rules.

If the NCAA won’t enforce the rules it’s like gun laws in Chicago.. only the law abiding citizens are at a disadvantage. 

Yep, and this is why I’ve been so opposed it. It’s like the New York Yankees of baseball. Who can spend the most money to win a championship. We all know ND will not play by these rules. Good luck on ever seeing a championship if it comes to that. 

• Heart 3

21 minutes ago, coltssb said:

Yep, and this is why I’ve been so opposed it. It’s like the New York Yankees of baseball. Who can spend the most money to win a championship. We all know ND will not play by these rules. Good luck on ever seeing a championship if it comes to that. 

I wanna see how this plays out before I just assume ND will be left in the dust.

The Bag men approach favors the small towns with a cohesive relationship with the boosters/bag men.

This NIL is going to bring in the big boys as rich guys with multiple businesses can carve off a huge marketing expense to help their team be competitive. We'll see investments that are a multiple of what was being doled out to fix pop's broken down tractor, or give mom a job in a nearby town or pay for a used challenger.. 

Jack has an NIL department to help these guys maximize their NIL potential, and I think ND players did pretty ok their first year getting NIL deals. 

ND has some pretty rich boosters/donors.