The NIL Thread

Message added by NYGoldenDomer,

We are merging NIL threads into one topic.  There is no need for 10-12 different threads on the same topic.  If you come up with something Notre Dame NIL related please feel free to make a new thread for that.  Please note it in your thread title.  All of these vague thread titles are getting very old now.  

14 hours ago, SDIrishFan said:

Agreed, I'm all for players making money that they are owed and earned. But this whole going after high school kids, getting them to commit to X school and we'll give you a million dollars thing, isn't what it NIL was intended for. 

I grew up in an era when most "michian-ers" rooted for ND football and IU basketball (Lou and Bobby ruled the state, unless you were a heathen and threw your lot in with Combover). So, I have, perhaps, the distinction of obsessing over ND football recruiting and Hoosiers basketball recruiting. 

Some years back, IU got a commit from an Indiana-based blue chip. He committed early and had every appearance of being very, very locked into his commitment. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, he dropped Indiana and immediately committed to another blue blood. In the public forums, there was a lot of confusion about why the flip occurred; in the more in-the-know circles, it was generally accepted that Nike told the kid that if he didn't play at a Nike college program, he could forget about getting a Nike contract once he hit the pros. Is it a coincidence that he now has a Nike contract? Perhaps. But, I'd call it a lock that the majority of ranked high school kids in basketball or football (and, probably a few other sports) have been financially incentivized when making their commitments. 

I think we all know this sort of thing has gone on for decades and it doesn't justify it happening with NIL. I certainly hope that NIL can reduce it from occurring but I definitely think creating a public mechanism for compensating recruits/players is the only hope we have for doing so.

2 hours ago, soulpatch said:

I grew up in an era when most "michian-ers" rooted for ND football and IU basketball (Lou and Bobby ruled the state, unless you were a heathen and threw your lot in with Combover). So, I have, perhaps, the distinction of obsessing over ND football recruiting and Hoosiers basketball recruiting. 

Some years back, IU got a commit from an Indiana-based blue chip. He committed early and had every appearance of being very, very locked into his commitment. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, he dropped Indiana and immediately committed to another blue blood. In the public forums, there was a lot of confusion about why the flip occurred; in the more in-the-know circles, it was generally accepted that Nike told the kid that if he didn't play at a Nike college program, he could forget about getting a Nike contract once he hit the pros. Is it a coincidence that he now has a Nike contract? Perhaps. But, I'd call it a lock that the majority of ranked high school kids in basketball or football (and, probably a few other sports) have been financially incentivized when making their commitments. 

I think we all know this sort of thing has gone on for decades and it doesn't justify it happening with NIL. I certainly hope that NIL can reduce it from occurring but I definitely think creating a public mechanism for compensating recruits/players is the only hope we have for doing so.

Even without endorsement dollars, a shoe company can have an impact on recruiting. I knew a top female high school soccer prospect who only considered Nike schools when she was deciding on a school.

2 hours ago, ndfanatic78 said:

Mike Brey on NIL: “We've got to stop complaining. This is the world we're in, and last time I checked, we make pretty good money. So everybody should shut up and adjust."

I’m resigned to the fact that unless this all gets reigned in, I’ll be happy to be playing for the New Era Bowl trophy yearly…

What a gong show this all has become.

21 hours ago, ndfanatic78 said:

Mike Brey on NIL: “We've got to stop complaining. This is the world we're in, and last time I checked, we make pretty good money. So everybody should shut up and adjust."

Correct me if I’m wrong because I don’t follow ND basketball, but does Brey ever truly get elite recruits?  Of course he’ll say this. It doesn’t pertain to him. I would think at this rate he should be more scared of NIL and the pressure it will put on him on starting to land bigger recruits. Becareful what you wish for Brey. 

2 hours ago, Tailgate Approved said:

JJ Starling is a 5 star, top 20-25 player that Brey signed this year.

I mean, Brey drove 45 mins to recruit this kid. But good for him that he got him. 
Speaking of this kids that went to La Lumiere high school. Chris Farley also graduated from there. It was such a small weird school back in the day. 

17 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

Seems like most of the country feels like this is getting out of control. NCAA was pressured into doing this and Congress is being petitioned to do something about it. 😎

Oh, thank goodness. Words can't express what a relief it is to know that the SEC is going to bring its altruistic devotion to the cause of student athlete to solving this crisis. The same conference that brought us such fine examples of removing the untoward influence of boosters (not to mention, selflessly guarding the interests of "non-professionals") in college football as:

1. Boosters giving a coach that's already sitting on bags of a cash...[pauses for effect]...a friggin house.
  2. A program inducing a seldom-heard-of coach (with, and I say this without a tinge of bitterness, zero dancing skillz) to break his contract and transfer programs through a secret offer of ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS.
  3. As a matter of practice, deploying tactics such as arranging coitus between recruits and "friends of the program" so that they can threaten said recruit with the prospect of fatherhood if he elects to commit elsewhere
  4. Supporting Tyrone Prothro through the rigorous demands of a General Studies degree so that he could land that bank teller job he'd always dreamed about (and use as a means of paying off the student debt he incurred after his career was derailed by a horrific injury suffered on the football field) while quietly pocketing the $110,000 their program was awarded for a catch he made (not to mention the hundreds of dollars they received each and every time it was aired on a perma-play commercial throughout the course of the season)

What's the only thing that could possibly increase our confidence that this isn't about grifters lining their pockets on the backs of those that actually make the product? Congress! That's right! Talk about something that the country feels good about. It's truly heartening to know that they're devoting their considerable resources to this rather than confronting lesser concerns like yawning national debt, a rampant mental healthcare crisis, or a general education system so efficient that it's 4th in spending and anywhere from 11th to 30th in testing, depending on who you ask.

The SEC choosing congress as its 'partner in crime' is most definitely not about trying to cheat others out of gobs of cash.

Imagine me as this guy but replace "playoffs" with "congress"....
Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

Edited by soulpatch
  • Flames 1

16 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

I dont care what Brey says... Seems like most of the country feels like this is getting out of control. NCAA was pressured into doing this and Congress is being petitioned to do something about it. 😎

If congress is waisting its time with college football when there are actual things that matter for them to be dealing with then none of this shit matters any way we are all f—-ing dead.

Lots of strongly-held and conflicting opinions on NIL. Personally, I think that most here would agree that Saban picking fights about it with other programs (allegedly) skirting NIL taking  can only be good for us. Let them slap-fight publicly over the issue. Reminds me of the old adage - "Don't go wrestling with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it."

I have no idea WTF he's thinking, either. It's not going to curb any 'bad' behavior that may be occurring and just gonna change the headlines around him/the Bama program and introduce distractions.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, ndfanatic78 said:

I don’t get how anyone doesn't find this whole situation fricking hilarious. A bunch of institutions that have cheated through the entire existence of college football are bitching now that everyone can do it. 

Two groups dont find it funny:

fans of AM and fans of Bama

The end of this made me laugh with BK

• Laughing Leprechaun 4