The NIL Thread

Message added by NYGoldenDomer,

We are merging NIL threads into one topic.  There is no need for 10-12 different threads on the same topic.  If you come up with something Notre Dame NIL related please feel free to make a new thread for that.  Please note it in your thread title.  All of these vague thread titles are getting very old now.  

1 hour ago, Rocketsan said:

This stuff is going to ruin college sports unless they reign in the rules…

It certainly will ruin the widely and warmly held perception that A) this hasn't been a pro sport (aka, handsomely compensated) all along and B) players have a deep commitment to universities (and aren't just under the thumb of the much more powerful programs/conferences)

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

On 5/20/2022 at 12:32 AM, ndfanatic78 said:

I don’t get how anyone doesn't find this whole situation fricking hilarious. A bunch of institutions that have cheated through the entire existence of college football are bitching now that everyone can do it. 

It seems Jimbo doth protest too much, methinks. All his whining and umbrage about A&M recruiting brings the name Lance Armstrong to mind.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, jimbo said:

It seems Jimbo doth protest too much, methinks. All his whining and umbrage about A&M recruiting brings the name Lance Armstrong to mind.

It was funny the Lane Kiffin tweet. I think it was a copy and paste job but it showed Texas A&M 5 star recruits and Jimbos record(I believe) in those years. Then came last year. The best class maybe ever with the first NIL year and a terrible record at that. Chance?…. 

Also, if Jimbo wants to talk that nobody but one person got an NIL deal….fine…but your own commissioner just came out and said that they are seeing just straight payments and “NOT seeing name image and likeness activity.”  

I was just talking to a college golfer about NIL.  She said all of her friends are sponsoring vitamin drinks, but their main reimbursement is product, not money.

If you were looking for NIL opportunities for the average player, not the stars, where would you look?  For instance, I told that golfer that she should partner with local courses.  Any thoughts?

6 hours ago, irishwavend said:

I was just talking to a college golfer about NIL.  She said all of her friends are sponsoring vitamin drinks, but their main reimbursement is product, not money.

If you were looking for NIL opportunities for the average player, not the stars, where would you look?  For instance, I told that golfer that she should partner with local courses.  Any thoughts?

I think local businesses for sure. And, I would go back to 'where this all began' and say social media presence. I do wonder about apparel, which will certainly be a battleground since that is a major source of revenue for football programs. But, that wouldn't be the first time a player and a league locked horns over competing interests sponsorships
Raiderdamus' Friday Foretelling: Raiders vs. Broncos - Silver And Black  Pride

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2022 at 8:33 AM, Rocketsan said:

This stuff is going to ruin college sports unless they reign in the rules…

Clearly needing reform but what legislation and how will it be enforced to ensure no unfair beneficiaries etc. 

The NCAA is a f**king joke and they’re the reason we have this mess.

I’m not one who enjoys watching anything burn but I am enjoying the playing field being re-tilted and will get a huge kick out of non traditional powers entrenched in lucrative NIL markets A&M, Houston, Cincinnati dethroning the old boys club of the SEC who’m Mark Emmert was supporting with his authoritarian regime in the NCAA. 

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 2

• 3 weeks later...

My gut-reaction takes are

1. (repeating my common refrain): Let's start the debate by acknowledging that boosters/programs have always been paying players which means that CFB has effectively been a pro sport already
  2. If a player flops and some idiot/program is in for $10M with said player, that's their fault for misjudging the talent and the market. Really, that's a great outcome. Now they're publically in for $10M that they can't spend somewhere else.
  3. What's the alternative? That sponsorship money goes somewhere else? Or, that we move it back to going under the table? 

I am all for these kids being able to make money of their own NIL, but anyone who didn’t see this swinging so far this way so quickly is out of their minds.

wait until the boosters start yelling that these kids they’re paying need to be on the field

43 minutes ago, mcgov12 said:

I am all for these kids being able to make money of their own NIL, but anyone who didn’t see this swinging so far this way so quickly is out of their minds.

wait until the boosters start yelling that these kids they’re paying need to be on the field

Totally agreed that this was predictable. 

Well, I'm sure it's happened in the past but it will add a meaningful amount of pressure once this becomes public. And, admittedly, this will be really messy as programs/boosters/players figure out how to navigate this.

Some programs/boosters will take the approach of coming out strong and throwing gobs (and assuming a ton of risks) and others will play the long game of having more bankable commitments (be that playing time or NIL). Miami/UM's boosters are clearly taking a big swing on the short game. They better hope that they don't wind up with another Quinn Ewers. I'd imagine, a program only gets so many of those before they start to build a bad wrap.

1 hour ago, soulpatch said:

Totally agreed that this was predictable. 

Well, I'm sure it's happened in the past but it will add a meaningful amount of pressure once this becomes public. And, admittedly, this will be really messy as programs/boosters/players figure out how to navigate this.

Some programs/boosters will take the approach of coming out strong and throwing gobs (and assuming a ton of risks) and others will play the long game of having more bankable commitments (be that playing time or NIL). Miami/UM's boosters are clearly taking a big swing on the short game. They better hope that they don't wind up with another Quinn Ewers. I'd imagine, a program only gets so many of those before they start to build a bad wrap.

Really well said. The schools that already had boosters going Wild Wild West are just going to heighten that behavior with this amount of money being thrown around. 
Honestly I kind of wonder if any of these NIL deals have performance standards in them. Like Spencer Rattler losing the starting position at OK, I wonder if anyone puts any kind of stipulation that they could void those deals. If not, I’m sure it’s coming.

4 hours ago, mcgov12 said:

Really well said. The schools that already had boosters going Wild Wild West are just going to heighten that behavior with this amount of money being thrown around. 
Honestly I kind of wonder if any of these NIL deals have performance standards in them. Like Spencer Rattler losing the starting position at OK, I wonder if anyone puts any kind of stipulation that they could void those deals. If not, I’m sure it’s coming.

No need to include an actual "performance" clause. Just add the ability for the agreement to be terminated at the convenience of the paying party. 

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2022 at 11:15 AM, mcgov12 said:

Many of these NIL contracts are not very athlete friendly that allow the company to back out, delay/reduce compensation etc.