Republican Nomination 2016

OKCIrish99

Your second paragraph would be great if it actually happened, regardless of who gets to nod to be Prez. Personally I'd rather keep seeing the movement within the states deciding social issues, which would shift the President's policy set to economic and diplomatic matters.

The idea of decentralization of power is great, but that ship has sailed. The majority of states are incapable of self governing. I grant that the EU is not a great model, but most of our states are big enough to be countries. The federal government is an unnecessary expense that has made itself indispensable.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some of the politics in this thread border on shameful. Party allegiance is a dangerous thing. Is it so much to step back and see what some of you are supporting? Read some of what Ted Cruz has espoused. Read how ill-informed Ben Carson is. Just... well just recognize Donald Trump's existence. That anyone stands behind this party and thinks they represent a good way forward is astonishing.

You want to talk about Planned Parenthood, fine. The focus seems to be on abortions. And how? Abortion is an ethical issue, but moreso, a religious one. Abortion is not illegal but it is against many people's religious beliefs, understandably. But here's the thing - that doesn't matter. The video in question has been debunked and proven to be edited, taken out of context. Yet people persist because their minds are made up - PP is an "evil" organization.

Well, PP is the reason we have our adopted daughter right now. They talked the birth mother OUT of abortion and into adoption. They also administer a substantial amount of free breast exams annually, amongst a host of other morally and legally proper services. If they sold body parts, shame on them. Convict them, put the full force of our justice system against them. But has anyone involved been convicted of such acts by our own legal system? No, they haven't.

So yes, I'm a bit emotional about PP because that organization has singlehandedly given me the brightest light in my life. Was I disgusted at the initial reports? Of course, but I'm also a free-thinker and feel like it's my obligation to wait until all the facts are on the table until I pass my own judgement.

Aside from possibly Rubio, Kasich, and maybe Rand Paul, the GOP has to be ashamed of what they've let transpire so far. The GOP has suddenly turned into the millenials of the American political system. They got hammered in the CNBC debate and all started complaining and decrying the moderators. It's a debate - answer the questions.

The GOP is lost right now. They've pandered so much to their radical base that they're a laughing stock. Sure, we'll always have folks who vehemently defend anything and everything they stand for, but wake the fu$k up people. Your own purported savior advocated loving thy neighbor. Now, you want to keep your neighbor from marrying someone they love, keep them out of your country, and carpet-bomb them back to the stone age. Congrats, I guess.

For the record, I don't want to see Hillary win either. So, I am properly screwed in this election cycle. And I fall in the exact middle, on both axes, in basically every "test" I've taken in terms of who I prefer re: R vs D. So I'm not a Democratic apologist but if the GOP is showing its best so far - I'm a democrat.

I think some of the politics in this thread border on shameful. Party allegiance is a dangerous thing. Is it so much to step back and see what some of you are supporting? Read some of what Ted Cruz has espoused. Read how ill-informed Ben Carson is. Just... well just recognize Donald Trump's existence. That anyone stands behind this party and thinks they represent a good way forward is astonishing.

You want to talk about Planned Parenthood, fine. The focus seems to be on abortions. And how? Abortion is an ethical issue, but moreso, a religious one. Abortion is not illegal but it is against many people's religious beliefs, understandably. But here's the thing - that doesn't matter. The video in question has been debunked and proven to be edited, taken out of context. Yet people persist because their minds are made up - PP is an "evil" organization.

Well, PP is the reason we have our adopted daughter right now. They talked the birth mother OUT of abortion and into adoption. They also administer a substantial amount of free breast exams annually, amongst a host of other morally and legally proper services. If they sold body parts, shame on them. Convict them, put the full force of our justice system against them. But has anyone involved been convicted of such acts by our own legal system? No, they haven't.

So yes, I'm a bit emotional about PP because that organization has singlehandedly given me the brightest light in my life. Was I disgusted at the initial reports? Of course, but I'm also a free-thinker and feel like it's my obligation to wait until all the facts are on the table until I pass my own judgement.

Aside from possibly Rubio, Kasich, and maybe Rand Paul, the GOP has to be ashamed of what they've let transpire so far. The GOP has suddenly turned into the millenials of the American political system. They got hammered in the CNBC debate and all started complaining and decrying the moderators. It's a debate - answer the questions.

The GOP is lost right now. They've pandered so much to their radical base that they're a laughing stock. Sure, we'll always have folks who vehemently defend anything and everything they stand for, but wake the fu$k up people. Your own purported savior advocated loving thy neighbor. Now, you want to keep your neighbor from marrying someone they love, keep them out of your country, and carpet-bomb them back to the stone age. Congrats, I guess.

For the record, I don't want to see Hillary win either. So, I am properly screwed in this election cycle. And I fall in the exact middle, on both axes, in basically every "test" I've taken in terms of who I prefer re: R vs D. So I'm not a Democratic apologist but if the GOP is showing its best so far - I'm a democrat.

Amen...............

Meh. I would vote for Trump only because he isn't toeing the PC line and when he says something, he owns it and doesn't back down. He's basically the 2015 center right(At least that's how he's campaigning) version of 2007 supposedly center left 0bama. He knows what is ticking people off and is feeding off of it. Now, I don't agree with everything he said but there is a shred of truth to most of it and people are relating to it just like they did in 2008 after both the left and right voted to bail out the TBTF banks.

PP? Meh. I am not pro choice but I believe that a person has a right to do what they want with their body. I don't support abortion outside of extreme circumstances but in the end, it's not my job to judge someone that does, that's God's job. I do not think they should be federally subsidized. As far as the videos go, they may have been "debunked", they may have been out of context to some degree but unless the audio was digitally manipulated, the words still came out of those peoples' mouths and regardless of context, they were far too corporate/business like for my liking.

Anyway you look at it, it's a lose-lose situation. Both parties have contributed to the mechanisms that have us on the current path of decline and when you get right down to it, the only indicator that they can point to that everything is AOK are the markets but market fundamentals went pfft years ago. Until this country returns to at least a somewhat sane fiscal/monetary policy, and departs from the globalization trend, it's screwed and that is something that no candidate ever addresses.

Trump does talk about it but talk is cheap. 0bama talked a lot about all the "change" that would occur if he were elected but what really changed? He said Little Bush displayed a lack of leadership and patriotism by deficit spending but put deficit spending on steroids. Did he cut the deficit in half by the end of his first term? Sure. But he also pushed to bailout the banks and 2 of the big 3 auto makers, as well as the $timulu$, which added to the exorbitant deficit in FY 2009. A deficit cut in half is *still* a deficit.

Bonus: Economic "health" is based off of GDP, which includes government spending. It has been sluggish at best, increasing around 2-2.5% YoY for awhile now. The federal deficit alone can account for that growth in GDP. Take deficit spending out of the picture and the real GDP has basically been in flat line mode for quite some time. GDP or gross domestic product isn't based on "production", it's based on *spending*. Government spending, IE, the recycling of American taxpayer dollars accounts for almost 20% of GDP.

Bottom line: Wake me when any candidate from either *side* starts talking about fiscal responsibility and actually describes a plan for returning to it. Prosperity used to be based on how much you could actually afford, not how much you could borrow to create an illusion of prosperity but that is the path we have been on for over thirty years.

/end rant

I don`t, can`t support a party like that.

Normally i would look at a Republican candidate first but I think it is more of a politician problem. Paul Ryan let me down almost as much as Obama.

Politicians will never vote for term limits but if the voters would vote for the person running against the incumbent, we would have term limits.

I am voting for Trump! He could not be as bad as what we have so it would be an improvement.

He said that he will put intelligent people in positions that they know a lot about. Their only priority is the USA. Party affiliation does not matter.

This line scares me. I must admit my interest level has tailed off a bit (I think because you guys drag out elections FOREVER), but I do feel bad for the position you as voters are being put in next year - there really doesn't seem to be a happy medium that a lot of you have mentioned aligns with your beliefs. However, that being said, as an outsider, I think it is of incredible importance that someone with excellent international diplomacy be elected. The USA is the chaperon at the school dance, the speed trap on the highway. You guys have the most critical role in world peace (which I don't envy - incredibly difficult position). To elect someone with no appreciation for this role is a huge mistake in my mind. I realize it is important to take care of your own, but to ignore damage that some of these insular thinkers will have is foolish.

Please don't take this as an attack on the American political system - believe me, if you could see the clown college we run up here.....

Even though I have strong religious feelings I actually didn't say anything about PP and the religious aspect, only that many of the controversies surrounding PP and the sale of aborted fetuses and parts is unconscionable. I am super glad that you are on the tail end of a PP success story, but PP has become the divorce of child bearing. Giving people the option to "terminate" a pregnancy has devalued life, sorry, religious or not it is true. People engage more often in risky behavior because it is seemingly consequence free environment.

I have three kids of my own and they are the brightest part of my life as well, I would like to continue to live in a world where children are valued and not looked at as expendable. Or a convenience. Or a burden. Or a dollar sign. PP by and large devalues children and I would be willing to wager that one of the cuckoo protesters outside of PP had as much to do with your child's birth mother choosing NOT to abort as anything else.

Please keep in mind as you think about what I have written that not once did I make this a religious issue.

According to a recent poll, 41 percent of Trump supporters support the bombing of Agrabah, the fictional city in the disney movie Alladin. Every time Trump takes shots at a religion, race or opponent he rises in the polls. Yes, there appears to be deep down hatred for a lot of things and people.

As far as the debt, you do realize that Congress plays a large part in that right? It isnt something that is just Obamas doing. In fact, Id argue the debt is the result of spending trillions after Bush destabilized the Middle East yet still approved massive tax cuts for the rich and the failure to regulate wall street which contributed to the housing crash.

News flash: the majority of Americans don't know d|ck about world affairs or geography. 41% of Trump faithful may support bombing a fictional city. Conversely, I'd be willing to bet the majority of Hillary voters couldn't find Iraq on a map if you told them Fetty Wap moved there.

This nation does not discriminate when it comes to willful ignorance. Political lines aside, this is a country of dipsh|ts. And they get to vote.

This nation does not discriminate when it comes to willful ignorance. Political lines aside, this is a country of dipsh|ts. And they get to vote.
Ding ding ding. One person's vote counts just as much as anothers. Period. You can take their race, mental makeup, income, marital status, religious beliefs, all of it and throw it out the window. Again no Republican president for a long time. You mark my words Clinton will smoke Cruz for president in 2016. The GOP is not going to be comfortable enough putting Trump in (for obvious reasons) and Cruz will win out. Very impressed with him taking the higher road last debate and avoiding a fist fight with Trump. Smart, savvy move.

Even though I have strong religious feelings I actually didn't say anything about PP and the religious aspect, only that many of the controversies surrounding PP and the sale of aborted fetuses and parts is unconscionable. I am super glad that you are on the tail end of a PP success story, but PP has become the divorce of child bearing. Giving people the option to "terminate" a pregnancy has devalued life, sorry, religious or not it is true. People engage more often in risky behavior because it is seemingly consequence free environment.

I have three kids of my own and they are the brightest part of my life as well, I would like to continue to live in a world where children are valued and not looked at as expendable. Or a convenience. Or a burden. Or a dollar sign. PP by and large devalues children and I would be willing to wager that one of the cuckoo protesters outside of PP had as much to do with your child's birth mother choosing NOT to abort as anything else.

Please keep in mind as you think about what I have written that not once did I make this a religious issue.

So you completely avoided that the selling fetus was misinformation and proven as such, and continued to spew, focusing on him saying something about religious views. Then went on to say that it wasn't planned parent hood who counseled the person and convinced her to not abort to the nut job outside with a gross picture. You are showing a considerable lack of knowledge on this issue. 1st abortions have and will always happen no matter the laws in place. Whether it is women going to non professionals in back alleys or trying it themselves at home it will happen. One of the major reasons it became legal was to have it done safely and within a certain time after the fetus is developed. You want to go back to black market abortions?

2nd planned parenthood offers abortion services but so do general practioners and thousands of other providers. They are just a target because they have more locations. But you can always get tested for Sti and HIv and these PP for very low cost if you don't have insurance. They provide a lot of different services and have licensed professionals providing these services. You have a problem with PP, take it up with the AMA and fed gov. the biggest factor to eliminate abortions is education. Conservatives have consistently fought to keep sex Ed out of school and defund educational programs. Finally, abortions have actually gone down since 2008 and I assure you it is not because people are becoming more religious or the strong conservative leaders are making change.

Meh. I would vote for Trump only because he isn't toeing the PC line and when he says something, he owns it and doesn't back down. He's basically the 2015 center right(At least that's how he's campaigning) version of 2007 supposedly center left 0bama. He knows what is ticking people off and is feeding off of it. Now, I don't agree with everything he said but there is a shred of truth to most of it and people are relating to it just like they did in 2008 after both the left and right voted to bail out the TBTF banks.

PP? Meh. I am not pro choice but I believe that a person has a right to do what they want with their body. I don't support abortion outside of extreme circumstances but in the end, it's not my job to judge someone that does, that's God's job. I do not think they should be federally subsidized. As far as the videos go, they may have been "debunked", they may have been out of context to some degree but unless the audio was digitally manipulated, the words still came out of those peoples' mouths and regardless of context, they were far too corporate/business like for my liking.

Anyway you look at it, it's a lose-lose situation. Both parties have contributed to the mechanisms that have us on the current path of decline and when you get right down to it, the only indicator that they can point to that everything is AOK are the markets but market fundamentals went pfft years ago. Until this country returns to at least a somewhat sane fiscal/monetary policy, and departs from the globalization trend, it's screwed and that is something that no candidate ever addresses.

Trump does talk about it but talk is cheap. 0bama talked a lot about all the "change" that would occur if he were elected but what really changed? He said Little Bush displayed a lack of leadership and patriotism by deficit spending but put deficit spending on steroids. Did he cut the deficit in half by the end of his first term? Sure. But he also pushed to bailout the banks and 2 of the big 3 auto makers, as well as the $timulu$, which added to the exorbitant deficit in FY 2009. A deficit cut in half is *still* a deficit.

Bonus: Economic "health" is based off of GDP, which includes government spending. It has been sluggish at best, increasing around 2-2.5% YoY for awhile now. The federal deficit alone can account for that growth in GDP. Take deficit spending out of the picture and the real GDP has basically been in flat line mode for quite some time. GDP or gross domestic product isn't based on "production", it's based on *spending*. Government spending, IE, the recycling of American taxpayer dollars accounts for almost 20% of GDP.

Bottom line: Wake me when any candidate from either *side* starts talking about fiscal responsibility and actually describes a plan for returning to it. Prosperity used to be based on how much you could actually afford, not how much you could borrow to create an illusion of prosperity but that is the path we have been on for over thirty years.

/end rant

A-freaking-men!

So very true, Obama wouldn't likely be in office if it wasn't for the large turnout of people voting for him based on race and being the first minority as President. The following election two years later for Congress went back to same old as far as turnout. This year will be back to normal with regard to low voter turnout for black voters too.

Just like I don't want a religious zealot voted in just because they are conservative, but people will vote based on one issue like it or not.

This line scares me. I must admit my interest level has tailed off a bit (I think because you guys drag out elections FOREVER), but I do feel bad for the position you as voters are being put in next year - there really doesn't seem to be a happy medium that a lot of you have mentioned aligns with your beliefs. However, that being said, as an outsider, I think it is of incredible importance that someone with excellent international diplomacy be elected. The USA is the chaperon at the school dance, the speed trap on the highway. You guys have the most critical role in world peace (which I don't envy - incredibly difficult position). To elect someone with no appreciation for this role is a huge mistake in my mind. I realize it is important to take care of your own, but to ignore damage that some of these insular thinkers will have is foolish.

Please don't take this as an attack on the American political system - believe me, if you could see the clown college we run up here.....

I agree. We just keep putting idiots in office. We've had idiot Presidents running this place for at the very least 16 years. Every 4 years is two more on the ballot and nobody impresses me to actually lead anymore. It's basically deciding between the lesser of two evils at this point, and that actually goes towards most elected positions.

I'm not even sure why democrats and republicans even talk about policy anymore. It's a waste of time. They'll never agree on real change and continue to kick the bucket down the line.

Bingo

Most people in our country don't associate with either party anymore. Unfortunately, we are going to have to pay the price for all the programs we are giving out (7 trillion in last 7years)

If aborting a child is "consequence free" to someone, I'd posit that person has some form of psychopathy in play. Knowing people who have aborted a child, it's not as if that person decides on a whim and goes about life unaltered after the fact. It's not a cavalier decision and to suggest as much is at best a means to push an agenda and at worst it's disgusting. But, then, the R's seem to think that "everything is the same as everything else" and fight tooth and nail to deem children conceived through incest and/or rape as the same exact thing as a 16 year old who didn't use protection with her boyfriend. That sort of logic is what twists my mind in ways I cannot reconcile.

But, I maintain the Republican party of 2015 is not what it was even ten years ago. It's become a party of extremes. One need only watch a "debate" to see how ridiculous these people are. The Dems are no shining examples of utopia either, but at least they don't put much, if any, legislative emphasis on beliefs. People are free to believe what they want but those same people are free to not be governed by others beliefs. The political system in this country is at a crossroads. I don't have the answers, much as I wish I did.

So you completely avoided that the selling fetus was misinformation and proven as such, and continued to spew, focusing on him saying something about religious views. Then went on to say that it wasn't planned parent hood who counseled the person and convinced her to not abort to the nut job outside with a gross picture. You are showing a considerable lack of knowledge on this issue. 1st abortions have and will always happen no matter the laws in place. Whether it is women going to non professionals in back alleys or trying it themselves at home it will happen. One of the major reasons it became legal was to have it done safely and within a certain time after the fetus is developed. You want to go back to black market abortions?

2nd planned parenthood offers abortion services but so do general practioners and thousands of other providers. They are just a target because they have more locations. But you can always get tested for Sti and HIv and these PP for very low cost if you don't have insurance. They provide a lot of different services and have licensed professionals providing these services. You have a problem with PP, take it up with the AMA and fed gov. the biggest factor to eliminate abortions is education. Conservatives have consistently fought to keep sex Ed out of school and defund educational programs. Finally, abortions have actually gone down since 2008 and I assure you it is not because people are becoming more religious or the strong conservative leaders are making change.

I did not continue to spew anything, I put forth a well thought out set of points about what I don't like about PP. You seem to have a rocket in your pocket for making this something it is not and drawing someone into a fight. I am not interested. I see you are passionate about the subject and that we won't see eye to eye on the matter. Best of luck to you.

I did not continue to spew anything, I put forth a well thought out set of points about what I don't like about PP. You seem to have a rocket in your pocket for making this something it is not and drawing someone into a fight. I am not interested. I see you are passionate about the subject and that we won't see eye to eye on the matter. Best of luck to you.

I apologize for using spew. Just took a little offense to the comment around the person outside with a sign having more influence than the professionals inside. Don't want a fight. Not necessarily passionate just educated, trying to spread some of that knowledge your way. Most people don't want abortions to happen, myself included and I am sure most that get abortions. But outlawing has been proven through research to not work. And your points about PP are not valid, they are stories that you chose to believe because they fall in line with your preconceived notions most likely. That is how our brain works when it comes to affect. Best of luck to you as well and happy holidays.

What are the biggest issues that need to be resolved?? I will put aside the abortion issue even though I think it should be at the top of the list.

1. The Middle East. If we don't address this then all other issues are mute. It is in shambles and has set the table for nuclear warfare. We have basically given Iran all the tools and massive amounts of money to complete their mission of our complete destruction.

2. Balance the Frikin Budget. Obama has set us up for a fiscal meltdown that might be unavoidable regardless of who is in the white house. Surely we are close to the point of no return as we near 20 trillion.

3. Dispose of government regulations. Obama has strangled small business and the biggest culprit is government regulations. We lose more companies than are being started. The paper work requires so many more man hours and legal advice. Cut the fat and put people back to work.

4. Focus on the poor and the middle class. Under Obama's policies the middle class is shrinking and the poor class is growing. Only the rich do well under Obama, but even they are curtailed. Basically, socialism is to benefit those at the head of the party. Nobody else. Sol Alinsky is the author of Obama and Hillary's politics and he flat out states that those who vote for them are 'necessary idiots'.

5. Stop pushing same sex marriage as if it is a God given right. Let's not teach our children that it is ok for a man to marry a man. The Bible is clear. Either we are a Christian nation or we are not and will surely fall as all the heathen nations have before us.

6. Stop the racial divide. Racial relations have plummeted under Obama after so many years of things getting better. We need a president that will mend the differences and not create them.

7. Get rid of the agencies that are destroying us with crony regulations and that go after citizens that don't agree with the political party in power.

8. Make the Justice department separate from the presidency. Prosecute those that need to be prosecuted and quit going after innocent people.

9. Get rid of the IRS. Prosecute those that went after the innocent such as tea party members. Maybe a flat tax is the answer.

10. Last but not least, rebuild the military. Obama basically went against the recommendations of the military and he dismissed the generals that disagreed with him. Obama has made it legal to declare martial law in time of peace. That is pure scary.

What are the biggest issues that need to be resolved?? I will put aside the abortion issue even though I think it should be at the top of the list.

1. The Middle East. If we don't address this then all other issues are mute. It is in shambles and has set the table for nuclear warfare. We have basically given Iran all the tools and massive amounts of money to complete their mission of our complete destruction.

2. Balance the Frikin Budget. Obama has set us up for a fiscal meltdown that might be unavoidable regardless of who is in the white house. Surely we are close to the point of no return as we near 20 trillion.

3. Dispose of government regulations. Obama has strangled small business and the biggest culprit is government regulations. We lose more companies than are being started. The paper work requires so many more man hours and legal advice. Cut the fat and put people back to work.

4. Focus on the poor and the middle class. Under Obama's policies the middle class is shrinking and the poor class is growing. Only the rich do well under Obama, but even they are curtailed. Basically, socialism is to benefit those at the head of the party. Nobody else. Sol Alinsky is the author of Obama and Hillary's politics and he flat out states that those who vote for them are 'necessary idiots'.

5. Stop pushing same sex marriage as if it is a God given right. Let's not teach our children that it is ok for a man to marry a man. The Bible is clear. Either we are a Christian nation or we are not and will surely fall as all the heathen nations have before us.

6. Stop the racial divide. Racial relations have plummeted under Obama after so many years of things getting better. We need a president that will mend the differences and not create them.

7. Get rid of the agencies that are destroying us with crony regulations and that go after citizens that don't agree with the political party in power.

8. Make the Justice department separate from the presidency. Prosecute those that need to be prosecuted and quit going after innocent people.

9. Get rid of the IRS. Prosecute those that went after the innocent such as tea party members. Maybe a flat tax is the answer.

10. Last but not least, rebuild the military. Obama basically went against the recommendations of the military and he dismissed the generals that disagreed with him. Obama has made it legal to declare martial law in time of peace. That is pure scary.

How do you propose to balance the budget while putting more money into the military? We already put $600bil into the military every year and have by far the strongest military in the world. It seems like that's the easiest place to cut money.

It sounds like your views mostly align with Rand Paul, to be honest. Outside of military spending.