Notre Dame vs Duke Thread

Should be a fun game to watch tonight at 7:30pm. Really hoping ND can hit from the outside tonight in both halves. We all know Oak will have his 17-23 points for Duke, he's too good not to and we have nobody down low to contest him. But, if ND can remain consistent from the outside with its shooting, it should help alleviate that problem. My key tonight is Pat Caunaughton. Obviously we need Grant, DJ, Vasturia, and Auguste to play well, but Pat is kind of the glue of this team and the mismatch for the other team. He can shoot from outside making it hard for the other team's big to defend him, or he can drive. He can also get rebounds. I just pray he doesn't get into foul trouble. We all saw how much ND relied on him against State the other day. He definitely stretches the defense. Really reminds me of watching Villanova years ago when they ran an all guard offense. Really is hard to defend if they're making threes and you're pounding it down low for twos. The key to that is, making the outside shots. I've got faith although I also acknowledge ND seems to play tougher on the road. Go Irish!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ND will need august not to get into foul trouble. should be a good game and ND is tough at home.

Auguste gets in foul trouble every game. Not even going to hope he doesn't in this game. It's almost a given with him. Just pray Colson can have a monster defensive performance if need be... :)

The key for me is still Auguste. Brey said he doesn't want to double down on Oak, so having Auguste play good, solid D is crucial. Like you said though, he's going to get in foul trouble. So it will be interesting to see if Brey zones it up, doubles down, or goes small ball and basically says, "Guard us now." Jackson and Grant are very solid perimeter defenders so I would expect some 2-3 zone mixed in.

Grant has been electric so I look for Duke to really pounce on him. I think it's going to be critical that drives, dishes, and ND hits their perimeter shots. He's definitely unselfish enough to do it. If they aren't hitting their perimeter shots, I would expect a lot more pick and rolls with Auguste and Grant's sheer determination to take over.

This is a good benchmark for the Irish to see where they really stand. I expect a good, close game, with the confident Irish coming out on top!

Auguste will have to play very smart this game. No Ticky-tack fouls. Oak will get his so he's going to have to play smart, don't jump, hands up, move his feet and use his height and hope that his length will distract Oak from feeling too comfortable. Either that, or go old school and he first time Oak touches it, you nail him so he doesn't get an easy basket. Set the tone.

the game will depend on which Grant shows up

if he plays like he did vs North Carolina and Virginia they lose

in those 2 games he played like a freshman

I'm not sure that's a fair statement. In games that he hasn't shot well, he has done countless other things to contribute. If anything, in those games he has played even more like a senior, because he doesn't let bad shooting nights affect other facets of the game.

I've been watching these guys since the beginning of the year. The major difference I've seen is just how athletic this year's team is from years past. Grant, Jackson, Beachum, and Connaughton are all fast enough and have enough athletic ability to dribble to the hoop. Our teams have lived and died by the three in the past. Not as much this year though. ND still needs to hit threes, but it hasn't killed them when they miss because they've always played enough defense and hit enough threes to win. Hence so many come from behind wins. Very resilient. They've been fun to watch and I'm not a huge basketball fan. I think it's a team, dare I say it, that can win a couple games in the Big Dance. Go Irish!!

Connaughton's even dunked this year.....

Brey coached circles around K at the end there. K was in react mode while Brey was in mad scientist mode. Playing your 6'5" freshman against 6'11" Okafor? Are you kidding me? That was a great stop Colson had, too. Several stops, actually. Obviously Grant was awesome. Having Pat get rebounds and make 3-5 three pointers really helped as well.